3.55cGPA 3.52sGPA 31MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mquinn123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am not applying this year but I am wondering what my chances would be next year:

I have a 3.55cGPA, a 3.52sGPA and a 31MCAT
My gpa freshman year, however, was a 3.3. I have had a upward trend since then except for one semester abroad in Australia where i got a 3.1 (brings my GPA down quite a bit).

Volunteer:
100 hours of hospital volunteering
1 Month abroad in Africa dealing with eye care for people who would otherwise not receive any
1 Week counselor at a muscular dystrophy camp
1 Summer in a underprivileged inner city clinic

Shadowing:
60+ hours Radiologist
20+ hours ER
20 hours ENT
20 hours ophthalmologist
Observed multiple surgeries

Leadership:
Started Unite for Sight chapter at my school
Tutored math in my schools tutoring center
Undergraduate Biology TA

3 Strong letters of recommendation (2 Doctors 1 professor)

3 years of research in a variety of fields (possibility of having a couple published articles)

I am wondering what my chances are. I have looked at the table as far as GPA and MCAT go (which I think said I had a 52% chance or so), but how do my EC compare to the rest of the field.

Thank you in advance for replies!

Members don't see this ad.

Your EC's are pretty good. You seem to have everything covered. Try to raise your grades a bit if you aren't graduating this year. And, most importantly, you need these three letters or rec at a minimum:

2 from science professors
1 from a non-science professor
other letters from Drs are a plus

Thank you for your reply xgalaxy00. So, it's better to have letters of recommendations from your professors rather then from your research bosses? Also, what schools would my grades be competitive for (hoping that after another year my gpa is around a 3.56)? Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am wondering what my chances are. I have looked at the table as far as GPA and MCAT go (which I think said I had a 52% chance or so), but how do my EC compare to the rest of the field.
With a 3.55/31, to improve your chances you might consider spending an additional year on GPA repair (perhaps you mistyped that you project a 3.56 by application time?), retaking the MCAT if there's a chance you'd score 3+ extra points, or adding some DO schools to your application list.

Your ECs look pretty solid, and could certainly increase your chances, as would an upward grade trend for 1.5-2 years, or a forgiving in-state med school. I would like to see a primary care doc on the list of those shadowed, even if only for 8 hours. I'd suggest you list the tutoring/TA under the Teaching category. The research looks good and publications are always helpful. Don't forget to list hobbies and artistic endeavors.

And yes, you need LORs frowm faculty who have taught you and can comment on your academic abilities. A PI letter is also of value.

Thank you for your response Catalystik! I guess the main question is whether I should apply next year with those stats, or go another year and take more classes to raise my gpa. I would like to give it a try next year, but only if I have a shot. I do plan on applying to both private and public schools (I am a MN resident by the way, but I grew up in MI...maybe that will help my chances at Oakland). Do I have a good enough chance at MD or DO with these stats?

And again, thank you for your responses!

Your chances at DO are excellent. They are more mediocre for MD, unless you'd have an interest in the Duluth campus. While 50ish% chance of acceptance to MD isn't insignificant, it's by no means a guarantee. I'd encourage the additional GPA repair if MD is important to you.