3.56 cGPA 29 mcat CA resident!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

romanjetfighter

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Depending on your science GPA, you're a good candidate for DO schools as you are, if you can get in some more nonmedical community service and some DO shadowing. Your state AOA (American Osteopathic Assoc) will have a program to hook you up with a mentor you can shadow. There should be a link in the PreMed Osteo stickies about this.

For a decent shot at MD schools, consider a year of postbac upper-level science coursework, getting all As (ignore this if all your bad grades were freshman year). This won't move your GPA much, but an impressive high recent GPA would help you. Also consider retaking the MCAT, aiming for a 31-32+. Consider a peer leadership experience, besides the aforementioned nonmedical community volunteerism with service to the poor and, of course, physician shadowing.

As a fellow Californian, I definitely feel your pain. As Catalystik said, if you can improve your GPA and MCAT by a bit (3.6+ and 31+), I think you'd have a chance at some MD schools. Given that you do have a few extracurriculars (though you can always add to those too), these are probably the areas you need to work on the most.

In terms of schools, be prepared to apply broadly across the country. CA kids have enough of a problem getting into our in-state schools that you'll see them everywhere. A few schools that I've heard/know accept a large number of Californians: MCW, RFU/Chicago Medical School, UIC, and SLU. I would also go back and check on some older threads ... there are definitely more extensive lists.

Members don't see this ad :)
fyi i got 5 MD interviews and 1 acceptance into a mid-tier MD school with <3.2 sgpa and <30 mcat. it's possible. apply early and broadly, build up your ECs, write awesome essays, impress your interviewer.

fyi i got 5 MD interviews and 1 acceptance into a mid-tier MD school with <3.2 sgpa and <30 mcat. it's possible. apply early and broadly, build up your ECs, write awesome essays, impress your interviewer.

THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS. i was just about to lose all hope with a 3.48/30R

yes most of my Bs are from freshman year since i was a psych major and not interested in becoming a doctor...instead of post bacc, is double majoring to increase GPA as good?

instead of post bacc, is double majoring to increase GPA as good?
Yes, it's fine to delay graduation and spend an extra year in school, however you can manage that. An advantage of doing this is maintaining your registration priority for upper-level classes. A disadvantage is that year 4 and 5 grades are all included in your Senior year grades, so improved GPA isn't showcased as well. (Postbac grades are listed on their own line.)

You should factor in the price differences as well..? A year of tuition as a 5th year student is different from a post-bacc's tuition right? I'm not sure but just throwing it out there :)

:luck:

You should factor in the price differences as well..? A year of tuition as a 5th year student is different from a post-bacc's tuition right? I'm not sure but just throwing it out there
A formal postbac program would likely be more expensive, but an informal one, at a local state school maybe if you're at a private school right now, might be cheaper.

Depending on your science GPA, you're a good candidate for DO schools as you are, if you can get in some more nonmedical community service and some DO shadowing. Your state AOA (American Osteopathic Assoc) will have a program to hook you up with a mentor you can shadow. There should be a link in the PreMed Osteo stickies about this.

For a decent shot at MD schools, consider a year of postbac upper-level science coursework, getting all As (ignore this if all your bad grades were freshman year). This won't move your GPA much, but an impressive high recent GPA would help you. Also consider retaking the MCAT, aiming for a 31-32+. Consider a peer leadership experience, besides the aforementioned nonmedical community volunteerism with service to the poor and, of course, physician shadowing.

Pretty much spot on. I'm a California resident and 1st time applying I had a 3.62/3.4 29Q. I applied UCs and low-mid tier out of state. I received secondaries to UCSF, UCLA, UCD, AND UCI but no interviews. I got an interview at USUHS but had horrible luck with my interviewer.

2nd time applying, I knew DO schools were my goal since I hadn't increased my GPA or MCAT. I talked to a few DOs and felt good about the osteopathic route. I will be matriculating at a California DO school this Fall.