DO 3.56 cGPA / 3.36 sGPA / 492/497/x MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eaglehawk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I need help making a DO school. I'm having trouble finding GPA and MCAT statistics online and don't have a lot of knowledge about the history of DO schools. My stats:

cGPA: 3.56
sGPA: 3.36
MCAT 1: 492 (Mom was in hospital)
MCAT 2: 497
MCAT 3: X (Will get scores back August 1/17)

Shadowing: Approx 400 hours - family practice, and surgeries in America and India
Volunteer: 60 hours in Hospital ER (patient contact), 150 Hours from Misc.
Leadership: RA for 3 years
Started local charity that donated over 40,000 pounds of food to shelters
Extracurricular: TA for Bio - 1 year
TA for Phys - 1 semester
Mentor for Bio and Chem - 1 year
Research: 2.5 years in lab on campus, no publication
Awards: Lot's of leadership awards, including Dean's award - awarded to 1 student a year
Other extracurricular: approx 300 hours in sports leagues, and other small leadership positions
LORs: 3 from Science faculty, 1 from RA supervisor, and 1 MD

State of Residence: Texas
Ethnicity: South Asian Male

I can answer any additional questions, and I appreciate any help/advice/resources you can provide.

Members don't see this ad.

Let us know what your third MCAT score is in one week. A lot will depend on that score.

As of now, your best chances are at the new D.O. schools. I assume that you are Indian, which means you're also ORM; this will make things tougher.

I will suggest these schools as of now:
ACOM
ARCOM
BCOM
NYIT-Arkansas
UIWSOM
WCUCOM
RVUCOM-Utah
Your Texas D.O. school

There's also a spreadsheet on this forum and reddit that shows the average stats of each D.O. school. Check it out.

Let us know what your third MCAT score is in one week. A lot will depend on that score.

As of now, your best chances are at the new D.O. schools. I assume that you are Indian, which means you're also ORM; this will make things tougher.

ACOM
ARCOM
BCOM
NYIT-Arkansas
UIWSOM
WCUCOM
RVUCOM-Utah
Your Texas D.O. school

There's also a spreadsheet on this forum and reddit that shows the average stats of each D.O. school. Check it out.

Thank you! And I will update this post in a week!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow. I'm applying this cycle and our stats are nearly the same numerically.
cGPA - 3.56
sGPA - 3.39
MCAT - 496
MCAT (Retake in Jan.) - X
My EC i different though: 5 years military medicine and 3 years as an ER tech.
I applied to the following DO schools;
VCOM-Virginia
AT Still- Arizona
LECOM - Florida
RVUCOM (Utah and Colorado)
Touro (California and Nevada)
Burrell - New Mexico
TCOM - Texas
I submitted my primary about a month ago and have received secondaries from TCOM (automatic), AT Still, and VCOM.
I'm not sure if any of these details help you at all, but that's all I have got.

cGPA - 3.56
sGPA - 3.39
MCAT - 496
VCOM-Virginia
AT Still- Arizona
LECOM - Florida
Burrell - New Mexico
TCOM - Texas
I submitted my primary about a month ago and have received secondaries from TCOM (automatic), AT Still, and VCOM.
I'm not sure if any of these details help you at all, but that's all I have got.
I suggest applying more broadly with your MCAT score and add these schools:
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-Arkansas
WCU-COM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
UIWSOM

cGPA - 3.56
sGPA - 3.39
MCAT - 496
VCOM-Virginia
AT Still- Arizona
LECOM - Florida
Burrell - New Mexico
TCOM - Texas

Nice! Best of luck to you man! We got this!

Did you have to submit DO recommendation letter to any of the schools you applied to? I have a recommendation from an MD but no DO.

ACOM
ARCOM
BCOM
NYIT-Arkansas
UIWSOM
WCUCOM
RVUCOM-Utah
Your Texas D.O. school

I would like to see this spread sheet. Do you have a link? Im havimg trouble finding it.

Nice! Best of luck to you man! We got this!

Did you have to submit DO recommendation letter to any of the schools you applied to? I have a recommendation from an MD but no DO.
They required a LOR but not specifically from a DO. Not that I can recall.

I suggest applying more broadly with your MCAT score and add these schools:
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-Arkansas
WCU-COM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
UIWSOM
I was keeping it limited due to my MCAT from an expense standpoint. There are also places my fiance just does not want to live in so I had to take that into consideration. I plan to retake the MCAT in January and all the schools listed have a deadline that allows me to submit the new score at that time. VCOM allows you to rank and submit for all school by sending a primary to one so thats actually what I did. I'm not going to be devastated if I don't get in this round. My MCAT was subpar because I tried to balance too many other things in my life at once. I leaned that out quite a bit to make more time to do prepare for the exam this time. My top pick is TCOM, but I won't be able to submit my new score to them so my chances are pretty much in the toilet for that school this cycle. So I would be happy to reapply again next year, however time is a factor and I won't say no if I get an offer before then.

ACOM
ARCOM
BCOM
NYIT-Arkansas
UIWSOM
WCUCOM
RVUCOM-Utah
Your Texas D.O. school

My new MCAT score is 504! (124/128/125/127). I know some schools screen out sections below 125, is that true?

Would you recommend I make changes to that list?

I suggest these schools with your stats:

ACOM

ARCOM

BCOM

WCU-COM

LMU-DCOM

UP-KYCOM

WVSOM

UIWSOM

VCOM (all 3 schools)

NYIT-Arkansas

RVU-Utah

Idaho (new school)

LECOM

TCOM

My new MCAT score is 504! (124/128/125/127). I know some schools screen out sections below 125, is that true?

I think screening below 125 is typical for many MD schools but not DO. I've only heard of one DO school that does that (ARCOM).

Go with Faha's list. Don't worry about any of you subsections. Almost no D.O. schools screen for subsection scores.

ARCOM changed their policy while recruiting for their inaugural class. They accepted plenty of sub-500 MCAT scores last year.

What did you do differently to improve your mcat?

Congrats on the major increase. Apply smart and you will get in.

What did you do differently to improve your mcat?

Before I had done mostly content, and just content. This time around, I spent a month doing strictly just practice questions. Morning to evening I would spend doing practice passages etc. and if I do extremely poorly in one passage, then I would review that content real quick. Good luck oyour MCAT!

Reactions: 1 user
Before I had done mostly content, and just content. This time around, I spent a month doing strictly just practice questions. Morning to evening I would spend doing practice passages etc. and if I do extremely poorly in one passage, then I would review that content real quick. Good luck oyour MCAT!
Thank you so much! That's pretty much been my approach this time around. Great job on your improvement though!! :)

Thank you so much! That's pretty much been my approach this time around. Great job on your improvement though!! :)

You've received a lot of secondaries. Our stats are kind of similar, where did you apply if you don't mind me asking?

You've received a lot of secondaries. Our stats are kind of similar, where did you apply if you don't mind me asking?
I applied to all FL schools, most GA and AL, and a few more throughout the east coast (SC, NC, TN, NJ). How about you?