3.57 Overall GPA and 3.4 Science GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

avokadoduck

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am a sophomore in college and I am very interested in medicine. Have I put myself out of the competition by having a 3.57 gpa and 3.4 science gpa? I received B, B, B+ in genchem, A-, A, A in Gen Chem Lab, A in Nutrition, B in Calc, B in Stats (an A- in Bio, B in O-chem, A in Ochem Lab) (these courses are still in progress). I did about 50 hours of volunteer work this summer with underprivileged people and received recognition from state senators. Are those B's in Gen Chem and Math going to hurt me? Also what if I get B's in Ochem?

Thanks,

Worried Student

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, they hurt your application.

No, they do not seal your fate.

Work hard to do better in O-chem and your other classes.

Do well on your MCAT. The rest depends on the rest of your application and how you interview and play your cards.

Still a sophomore? You have enough room to prove yourself if you take biochem, molecular bio, and genetics. I think at around a 3.6 science you'll be sitting comfortably. You're definitely in good shape so far and very good room for improvement.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bs in OChem and other prerequisites won't hurt you provided you have enough As to balance them and keep your BCPM GPA in a competitive range. About a 3.6 is the mean BCPM for those accepted to MD schools. Mean sGPA for those entering DO schools is 3.35 (doesn't include math, like MD schools). If your BCPM ends up on the low side, you can redeem it by getting As in upper-level Bio classes and Biochem.

Thank you for your input! Also, do labs count towards your science gpa?

Hi I keep thinking of more questions. Does it matter what undergraduate school I am attending? I am attending an oos state school and I felt like it was good fit for me academically. I also liked the region, but will this hurt me in the end?

If a school is too difficult for you to get great grades, it will hurt you. If a school's courses don't have sufficient rigor to thoroughly prepare you for the MCAT, then that will hurt you. If a school doesn't have sufficient resources in the area for you to get needed clinical experience, shadowing, research, community service, etc opportunities, then it will hurt you.