3.57cGPA 3.317sGPA, 32Q MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdhopeful4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a really bad freshman year (multiple C's_ but started to pull up from sophmore year and then from junior year on wards I got 4.0's for my last 4 semesters.

cGPA: 3.573
sGPA: 3.317
MCAT: 32Q (first time. did not retake)

EC's:
- volunteered at EMS for a year
-2 years research with ugrad prof
-3 years of volunteer work with one hospital, and 2 years with another (overlapping time)
-shadowed 3 docs for a total of 80 hours
- been volunteering for events at my church since I was a freshman in high school, carried this on all throughout senior year of college
- been a part of several clubs here and there throughout ugrad
- played some intramural sports throughout college
- got some pretty nice LOR's from the doctors I shadowed, from my ugrad professors, and from my church (catholic if it matters).

By the way, that is not my AMCAS gpa, it is the gpa that I got using my ugrad scores. The school I attended only gives A ( 4.0) B+ (3.5) B (3.0) C+ (2.5) and C (2.0) (there are D's etc but I didn't get a D). Given that our school did the grades on a different scale than AMCA's, will my AMCAS gpa be higher or lower than what my ugrad comes out to be?

Am I a viable candidate for MD schools or should I not even apply? Where should I apply if I do apply? I am a resident of CT and went to school in state.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
By the way, that is not my AMCAS gpa, it is the gpa that I got using my ugrad scores. The school I attended only gives A ( 4.0) B+ (3.5) B (3.0) C+ (2.5) and C (2.0) (there are D's etc but I didn't get a D). Given that our school did the grades on a different scale than AMCA's, will my AMCAS gpa be higher or lower than what my ugrad comes out to be?
AMCAS Grade Conversion guide (yours looks most like one from the end): https://www.aamc.org/students/download/181676/data/amcas_grade_conversion_guide.pdf

I had a really bad freshman year (multiple C's_ but started to pull up from sophmore year and then from junior year on wards I got 4.0's for my last 4 semesters.

cGPA: 3.573
sGPA: 3.317
MCAT: 32Q (first time. did not retake
Stats-wise, you are a viable MD candidate. A 3.57/32 gives you a ~66% chance of an acceptance per AAMC data, but probably higher due to the steep upward grade trend.

EC's:
- volunteered at EMS for a year
-2 years research with ugrad prof
-3 years of volunteer work with one hospital, and 2 years with another (overlapping time)
-shadowed 3 docs for a total of 80 hours
- been volunteering for events at my church since I was a freshman in high school, carried this on all throughout senior year of college
- been a part of several clubs here and there throughout ugrad
- played some intramural sports throughout college
- got some pretty nice LOR's from the doctors I shadowed, from my ugrad professors, and from my church (catholic if it matters).
EC-wise, you look to be in pretty good shape. Even more so if you have some leadership and teaching associated with your nonmedical volunteerism.

I see you said that a 3.57 gives me a good chance, wont my subpar sGPA hurt me more? also, I am taking a year to beef up EC's, work, and collect myself for MD school etc so can you suggest some extra things for me to do? I really appreciate your input Catalystik!

edit: also the reason I want to beef up my ec's and what not is because I hadn't really been sure if I wanted to do medicine until the summer of my sophmore year, thats why my EC's were lacking a bit, but also that is why I started getting 4.0's after that :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I see you said that a 3.57 gives me a good chance, wont my subpar sGPA hurt me more?
Did I incorectly assume that your science coursework also shows a steep upward grade trend (including about half of the prerequisites)? Yes, your lower BCPM GPA is a concern, which a sea of recent As could remove. With an extra year to prepare, you might consider taking upper-level Bio classes to further reassure adcomms that you can survive the science-heavy curriculum of med school.

Assuming typicalindian=mdhopeful4, I gather that the above is a theoretical scenario since the last time we 'talked" you had a downgoing grade trend and were a rising junior.

Unfortunately, no. I have not taken my mcats yet and I do not go to church (since I'm Indian lol).

Last edited: