MD & DO 3.58 / 507 / OK Resident. WAMC? Please and Thank You

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cactusblender

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I would love some input on my application and how hopeless I probably am. I have already compiled a school list with help from WedgeDawg's algorithm and my LizzyM score, along with other school-specific criteria. However, if there are some schools that you think are inappropriate or that you think I should add, I would love to hear about it.

Here goes:

cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS
cGPA- 3.58
sGPA- 3.40​

MCAT score(s) and breakdown
507 (127/128/128/124)​

State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
Oklahoma​

Ethnicity and/or race
White
Undergraduate institution or category
State School

Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
Non-Volunteer: Worked as retail pharmacy technician for 1 year. Have worked as hospital pharmacy technician for over 2 years as of now. Am planning on transferring to a nursing assistant position within a month for schedule purposes (and this position is 100% undeniably "clinical"). Will be working full time in this position until matriculation into med school (~2000 hours). Estimated hours upon matriculation: >6000

Volunteer: I volunteer at my local Children's Hospital 3-5 hours a week in the surgery waiting area and as a "patient pal", hanging out with kids and doing arts/crafts. Estimated hours upon matriculation: ~200
Research experience and productivity
~500 hours in a cardiovascular biology lab at a medical research facility. No publications, but 1 presentation and a formal paper using Nature's style guide. Letter of rec from PI. This was in 2015. Have attempted research with professors at my school since, but they have small labs and there haven't been openings. Also, I work a lot during school and that limits my free time.
Shadowing experience and specialties represented
~100 hours clinical shadowing. Specialties include: cardiothoracic surgery, anesthesiology, emergency medicine, interventional cardiology, and electrophysiology. CT surgeon and 2 ER docs wrote me letters.​

Non-clinical volunteering
Did volunteer humanitarian aid work in ~10 countries for 4 years between high school and university. Not Peace Corps, but the same idea. Estimated hours: ~6000 (Some time was spent working jobs, as I had no other source of income).
Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
  • Throughout university, I've consistently worked at least 20 hours a week during the school year, and more during breaks. My field of work has given me a lot of insight into medicine and how things are done in a hospital or clinical setting.
  • I'm a member of an academic honor society at my school and attend meetings/do volunteer projects with them.
  • I am Basic Life Support and Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support certified through the American Heart Association.
Relevant honors or awards
Received an academic scholarship this past semester. Also received an academic tuition waiver from the Biology Department. President's/Dean's Honor Roll a few semesters.
Anything else not listed you think might be important
I'm specifically concerned if I should retake the MCAT, given my <125 in P/S. I know 507 isn't awful, but I'm a bit concerned about that. What do you think?​

School List:

MD:

Einstein
Quinnipiac
Geisel (Dartmouth)
Keck USC
Mayo Rochester
Brown
Arizona Tuscon
Kansas
Oklahoma
Wake Forest ($150 secondary?!?)
Western Michigan

DO:

Rocky Vista
LECOM
ARCOM
OSUCOM
Midwestern
Kansas City
Western U Pomona
Western U Lebanon
ATSU-SOMA
Pacific Northwest

Thanks for reading! Let me know if I missed anything, and what you think about the MCAT retake.

Members don't see this ad.

You are competitive for all the DO schools on your list.
Mayo, Einstein, Dartmouth, Keck USC, Brown are unrealistic reaches with your stats and Arizona accepts very few non residents with your stats:
You could add these MD schools:
Creighton
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
NOVA MD
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
New York Medical College
Seton Hall