3.58 and 31M

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stars2099

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just another premed kid worried about his chances. Thanks for letting me know your opinions.

Major: Religious Studies
Minor:Chem
cGPA:3.58
sGPA:3.45
MCAT: V8 P12 B11 M

I just submitted to TMDSAS. Do I have a shot? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Assuming the usual ECs, interesting personal statement, supportive LORs, and reasonable interview skills, then yes.

Members don't see this ad :)
From my observations, the average applicant seems to have:
Clinical experience and community service: 1.5 years each, may be combined into hospital/clinic volunteering
Physician shadowing 25-60 hours
Research: 1 year
A leadership experience
Teaching/mentoring
Other activities to make one seem well-rounded and interesting (sports, the Arts, hobbies)

usual ECs are one year or more of each of the following:

Volunteering/Clinical Work (most important, should be as long as possible)
Research
Shadowing (time spent on this varies. I would do about 20 hours each with 2-3 different specialty physicians)
Leadership (TA, Some position in a club)
Something Unique/Fun that is not a typical pre-med EC (dance, karate, football, guitar player in band, etc.)

Thanks. Well crap, I don't have alot of that. I guess I should work on that this year and apply next cycle again.

Start shoring up the weak areas as soon as possible and you'll have lots to say in future update letters that may sway adcomms in your favor if you're on a cusp.

Thanks. Well crap, I don't have alot of that. I guess I should work on that this year and apply next cycle again.

Just make sure you have the clinical volunteering at the minimum. Not everyone has research or shadowing, but I think it's an unwritten rule that you need some type of clinical experience and volunteering.

so I submitted on July 20 and the TMDSAS was processed a month later. I still haven't gotten any interviews. Should I keep hope alive or accept I'm not getting one this cycle?

so I submitted on July 20 and the TMDSAS was processed a month later. I still haven't gotten any interviews. Should I keep hope alive or accept I'm not getting one this cycle?

It is still early but you need to start working on the ideas put forth above. ECs wont get you in, but they sure will keep you out too!