MD 3.58 cGPA, 3.35 sGPA, 519 MCAT (former D1 Athlete)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorhumanbean

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, here's a bit of background on myself: I graduated last August (2016) from a Tier 2 school in the US. I am a Canadian resident, but completed my undergrad in the US because I was on full athletic scholarship. Started my undergrad journey at a small private University where I didn't declare a major because I wasn't taking the whole idea of medical school seriously at the time. Sophomore year, family went through a traumatic event, I took 2 weeks off from school, then continued as normal (as hard as it was) and managed to maintain a 3.5GPA (while playing 2 sports as a double athlete). After this traumatic event I realized that I needed to take my journey to Medical School much more seriously - transferred to a Tier 2 University (where I continued on full athletic scholarship), completed all of my pre-med courses in 2.5 years with a B.Sc. in Soc/Anthro w. a pre-medical track.

1. 3.58 cGPA, 3.35 sGPA w. with a slight upward trend... sGPA suffered because of a **** grade of a C+ in orgo 2 and gen. chem 2 - simply my fault, didn't have my priorities straight. Thinking of possibly retaking those two courses to prove I can get a good grade.
2. 519 MCAT
3. Canadian resident - hoping to go to Med School in the states.
4. 330+ hours of Shadow experience
5. Have not done any research as of yet, but working on becoming a research assistant (hoping I can land that soon).
6. I have to date over 600+ hours of volunteer work with various organizations (Special Olympics, coaching underprivileged children, Feeding the Homeless, National LGBTQ society, etc).
7. Many awards received from being an NCAA Athlete... not sure if this will have any impact on my application in regards to leadership and time-management.
8. Played on a National Team (another side note that probably has not impact)
9. Various volunteer awards and academic scholarships throughout my undergrad.
10. Member of the Honor's College at my University
11. Active member of the Pre-Medical Society on Campus.
12. Female; Ethnicity: Black, Pacific Islander, European -- but this won't apply because I'm a Canadian applicant, correct?

Currently a volunteer at 2 hospitals (1 year commitment), so I should have 500+ hours of clinical experience by the end of next year.

Any help and advice on how to make myself more competitive as an applicant would be appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, here's a bit of background on myself: I graduated last August (2016) from a Tier 2 school in the US. I am a Canadian resident, but completed my undergrad in the US because I was on full athletic scholarship. Started my undergrad journey at a small private University where I didn't declare a major because I wasn't taking the whole idea of medical school seriously at the time. Sophomore year, family went through a traumatic event, I took 2 weeks off from school, then continued as normal (as hard as it was) and managed to maintain a 3.5GPA (while playing 2 sports as a double athlete). After this traumatic event I realized that I needed to take my journey to Medical School much more seriously - transferred to a Tier 2 University (where I continued on full athletic scholarship), completed all of my pre-med courses in 2.5 years with a B.Sc. in Soc/Anthro w. a pre-medical track.

1. 3.58 cGPA, 3.35 sGPA w. with a slight upward trend... sGPA suffered because of a **** grade of a C+ in orgo 2 and gen. chem 2 - simply my fault, didn't have my priorities straight. Thinking of possibly retaking those two courses to prove I can get a good grade.
2. 519 MCAT
3. Canadian resident - hoping to go to Med School in the states.
4. 330+ hours of Shadow experience
5. Have not done any research as of yet, but working on becoming a research assistant (hoping I can land that soon).
6. I have to date over 600+ hours of volunteer work with various organizations (Special Olympics, coaching underprivileged children, Feeding the Homeless, National LGBTQ society, etc).
7. Many awards received from being an NCAA Athlete... not sure if this will have any impact on my application in regards to leadership and time-management.
8. Played on a National Team (another side note that probably has not impact)
9. Various volunteer awards and academic scholarships throughout my undergrad.
10. Member of the Honor's College at my University
11. Active member of the Pre-Medical Society on Campus.
12. Female; Ethnicity: Black, Pacific Islander, European -- but this won't apply because I'm a Canadian applicant, correct?

Currently a volunteer at 2 hospitals (1 year commitment), so I should have 500+ hours of clinical experience by the end of next year.

Any help and advice on how to make myself more competitive as an applicant would be appreciated!!

Those are almost exactly my stats :p

I completed all pre-reqs in undergrad, then ended up taking three gap years. I've had clinical employment during all three, and did one year for post-bac courses, one year for MCAT prep, and this year for apps.

With my high MCAT/lower GPA combo I applied very widely to around 30 schools. This seems to have been a good choice. I've gotten rejections from low tier schools and interviews at high tier schools, and my two acceptances are at solid middle tier programs.

Are you taking a gap year?

Those are almost exactly my stats :p

I completed all pre-reqs in undergrad, then ended up taking three gap years. I've had clinical employment during all three, and did one year for post-bac courses, one year for MCAT prep, and this year for apps.

With my high MCAT/lower GPA combo I applied very widely to around 30 schools. This seems to have been a good choice. I've gotten rejections from low tier schools and interviews at high tier schools, and my two acceptances are at solid middle tier programs.

Are you taking a gap year?

Technically I've already used my first gap year (went travelling for 4 months of it), then took two courses science courses at my local university + worked part-time. I think I will take another 1-2 years off to work/volunteer in a hospital. Thinking of doing a Masters? Not too sure yet!