MD 3.58 cGPA 507 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yungboipremed

Reaction score
As the title says, I have a 3.58 cGPA (3.42 sGPA) and a 507 MCAT (128, 127, 124, 128). Double major in biology and psychology at an above average state school. I have no real GPA trend. I got a few C's: one in a random class where the professor just hated graded inflation and two for a class and the lab with the class (genetics). Pretty standard ECs: 1,000ish hours scribing, 400 research hours, 400 nonclinical volunteer hours for food pantry and various things with kids, a student consultant for a food pantry, two semesters of being a TA, and two posters from my research lab. I am a junior, so my GPA could go up a little bit from that extra year. I also think I pretty severely choked on the MCAT by about 5 points or so, so if I studied again with the foundation I already have, I think I could get around a 512-515. I just really do not want to take a gap year, so what are my chances at some schools like Colorado, Vermont, and Indiana (IN resident). I think if I apply prematurely this summer and don't get in, I will have to take two gap years instead of just one from not applying because I will have no time to study for the MCAT besides this summer, so this summer I can either spend time applying to schools and doing all that or study for the MCAT. Also, what type of schools could I realistically get into with around a 3.65 and 514 MCAT if I do end up taking a gap year and everything goes as planned. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

As the title says, I have a 3.58 cGPA (3.42 sGPA) and a 507 MCAT (128, 127, 124, 128). Double major in biology and psychology at an above average state school. I have no real GPA trend. I got a few C's: one in a random class where the professor just hated graded inflation and two for a class and the lab with the class (genetics). Pretty standard ECs: 1,000ish hours scribing, 400 research hours, 400 nonclinical volunteer hours for food pantry and various things with kids, a student consultant for a food pantry, two semesters of being a TA, and two posters from my research lab. I am a junior, so my GPA could go up a little bit from that extra year. I also think I pretty severely choked on the MCAT by about 5 points or so, so if I studied again with the foundation I already have, I think I could get around a 512-515. I just really do not want to take a gap year, so what are my chances at some schools like Colorado, Vermont, and Indiana (IN resident). I think if I apply prematurely this summer and don't get in, I will have to take two gap years instead of just one from not applying because I will have no time to study for the MCAT besides this summer, so this summer I can either spend time applying to schools and doing all that or study for the MCAT. Also, what type of schools could I realistically get into with around a 3.65 and 514 MCAT if I do end up taking a gap year and everything goes as planned. Thanks!
Did you sign up for the AAMC Virtual Fair? Networking can be your friend to avoid a gap year if you make informed choices in selecting schools and following up.

In-state vs out-of-state is important for you. Check on the history of IS/OOS in incoming classes for the schools you are targeting. Save yourself from futility.
Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

Last edited: