MD & DO 3.59 cGPA, 3.46 sGPA, 30 MCAT, Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hibatchigrillen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN,

So basically I'm currently a senior getting ready to apply. I will be taking a gap year. I will be applying to both MD and DO schools. Though I am applying to both, I am really hopeful that I will gain an MD acceptance somewhere.

Stats:
-Psych Major, Neuroscience Minor
- 3.59 cumulative GPA, 3.46 science GPA (3.8-3.9+ Last 60-70 credits though. Had a rough sophomore year, got a C+ in both orgo 1 and 2 but those are the only 2 Cs on my transcript. Could have retaken the courses and probably should have but I didn’t)
-MCAT = 30 (9 Verbal/ 11 PS /10 BS)

-Attend University of Maryland, College Park (fairly reputable school though don’t know how much that matters)
-Maryland Resident

Extracurriculars:
~200 hours of volunteering, 100~ in Shock Trauma/ER (continuing throughout gap year)
~1-1.5 years of research (will be continuing throughout gap year)

~1.5 years as EMT (continuing throughout gap year)
~150-200 hours of MD shadowing (Been shadowing same physician for over 4 years)
~20 hours of DO shadowing (only recently decided to also apply to DO schools and some schools need DO rec letters)
~1.5 years working as Taek Won Do instructor
~Very involved in local mosque. Hold position of Youth Events Coordinator. Also serve as treasurer on the Youth Council. Probably close to 1000 hours of volunteering involved. Some of the activities we participate in includes feeding homeless in Baltimore, canned food drives, sporting events and tournaments, organize fundraisers, organize meetings and conferences.
~7 semesters of Intramural Football (Though it may not matter, but team captain lol)
~2 years of Muslim Student Association on Campus (also do a lot of community service with soupkitchensand such)
~2 years of Premed Society

As mentioned before, I got 2 C+ on my transcript both in Orgo 1 and 2. These are the only 2 C+ on my transcript. In addition, I had a poor GPA my sophomore year which can be attributed to bad study habits, and bad breakup with significant other. No excuses still I understand. Though my GPA is 3.59, I have had a positive trend for the last 2 years of college (3.8+GPA).

I am looking to apply to 30 MD schools and 5-10 DO schools. I have no preferences though I would prefer to stay along the east coast.

Any ideas which schools to apply and chances?

So far:
UMD, GW, Georgetown, Howard, Drexel, Temple, Eastern Virginia, Penn State, West Virginia
DO = PCOM, LECOM, NOVA, UMDNJ, WV, VCOM

I am looking to apply to 30 MD schools and 5-10 DO schools. I have no preferences though I would prefer to stay along the east coast.

Thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

Would love to hear what @gyngyn @Goro @Catalystik have to say. Please and thanks!
GT and GW get over 12K applications/year. Howard is a mission-based school, if you do not have a sustained commitment to communities of color...

The rest of your MD schools are ok. You should probably add another dozen, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks @gyngyn so is it not worth it applying to any of the DC schools just based on the vast amount of applications they receive? Also what is your take on my chances for gaining entry into MD school somewhere? I know my stats are slightly below the averages for many medical schools but with extracurrics and with the upward trend, would you say I could get in somewhere if I applied broadly enough?

Thanks @gyngyn so is it not worth it applying to any of the DC schools just based on the vast amount of applications they receive? Also what is your take on my chances for gaining entry into MD school somewhere? I know my stats are slightly below the averages for many medical schools but with extracurrics and with the upward trend, would you say I could get in somewhere if I applied broadly enough?

The standard list is all new MD schools, along with a couple others (NYMC, Albany, Rosy Franklin, among others) are typically softer on lower-stat applicants. With your EC's, I believe you would at least receive a few interviews. From there, it's up to you.

Reactions: 1 user
You need to look high yield to them. Despite their huge pools, if you look like a good fit you have a chance. Being from MD seems a little soft to me, but you get to decide!

Goro suggests:
Hofstra School of Medicine
Albany Medical College\
Creighton
Rush Medical College
NY Medical College
Loyola
Rosy Franklin
MCW
SLU
Wake Forest
Tufts
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
All new MD schools
VCU
EVMS
Any DO program

@gyngyn Thanks you for the feedback. Could you please clarify what you mean when you said "Being from MD seems a little soft to me, but you get to decide"? @Goro Thank you to you as well. Would you also say I have a decent chance based on the information given at getting accepted into MD somewhere? Or do I have an uphill climb and should be expecting only DO acceptances?

@ahstern Thanks for the feedback. I am hopeful I will get a couple interviews. One quick question, do you think my only shot at a couple interviews is applying the very first day the application cycle opens up? Or is application already moderately competitive and applying early would only enhance it?

@gyngyn Thanks you for the feedback. Could you please clarify what you mean when you said "Being from MD seems a little soft to me, but you get to decide"? @Goro Thank you to you as well. Would you also say I have a decent chance based on the information given at getting accepted into MD somewhere? Or do I have an uphill climb and should be expecting only DO acceptances?
Being from Maryland seems like an ephemeral association to DC! At least to me. Maybe there is a tight connection of which I am unaware.