MD & DO 3.59 cGPA ; 3.55 sGPA / 508 MCAT / Asian M, Michigan resident

Hi,

Would greatly appreciate if you guys could chance me.

Current UM student. Science major. Asian male, Michigan resident. I will be applying next year to both MD and DO schools. I am taking one final class this semester while working at my lab.

Numbers:

* 3.59 cGPA (I am including the expected grade of my final class, which is a C+. It's a language course, and I don't expect I will do well whatsoever.)

* 3.55-3.58 sGPA (Depending on whether certain courses will be considered part of BCPM.)
- Upward trend (had a 3.1 Freshman year, but 3.6-3.7 rest of the years)

^ With grade replacement, my AACOMAS GPAs would probably be around 3.6-3.65 I imagine.

* 508 MCAT (126/128/127/127)

ECs:

* 4 years of research in 2 labs (>1000 hours easily)
- 2 publications (co-author)
- 7 posters/abstracts (4 first author, 3 co-author)

* 5 years as part of student-run geopolitical affairs magazine
- Leadership: 1 year senior managing editor; 1 year as managing editor; 1 year general editor
- 2 years as regular writer
- 7 published articles in magazine

* ~ 300 hours volunteering at the Red Cross as a first-aid/CPR/first-responder for (sporting) events in the region
- Served as a Team Leader (minor leadership?)

* 2 years as part of a small student-run sports club
- Leadership: 1 year as Secretary; 1 years as President

* ~30 hours volunteering at UM Hospital stocking linens, changing sheets, helping nurses push patients, etc.

* ~20 hours of shadowing (also live with my brother, who's an attending physician, and we both talk about medicine a lot and he shares a lot about his profession) + ~50 hours of shadowing from high school (part of school program)

* Played a semester in the student rec tennis club, played twice in the annual student rec tennis tournament (never won lol), played once in the annual student flag football tournament (got wrecked in the playoffs lol)

I plan on doing something substantial from January-June of next year before I send my application, depending on what I need the most.

Potential Red Flags:

Had personal conflict last year (took only 2 classes) and familial conflict this year (didn't take any classes), so that delayed me getting this final course finished 1.5 years behind rest of my graduating class
* 1 W (Jr year; later got A-)
* 1 retake
* 3 Cs - 1 C in Orgo Chem from FR year (retook and got an A) ; 1 C+ in Phys II from SO year; 1 C+ in fourth semester language class in upcoming term
* No major awards (Dean's List one semester? Quarterfinalist in an essay contest? Scholarship recipient at Michigan?) <-- Don't consider these any anything big

Rather worried that my overall resume isn't very impressive. Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Last edited by a moderator:

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Work on the self-esteem.

I suggest:

Rush

NYMC

Creighton

Albany

Rosy Franklin

Drexel

Temple

Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)

MCW

St. Louis U

WVU

Jefferson

Creighton

Tulane

Loyola

U Miami

Wake Forest

EVMS

VCU

Any DO program, starting with MSUCOM, CCOM and MUCOM.

ALL MI schools

Hi,

Would greatly appreciate if you guys could chance me.

Current UM student. Science major. Asian male, Michigan resident. I will be applying next year to both MD and DO schools. I am taking one final class this semester while working at my lab.

Numbers:

* 3.59 cGPA (I am including the expected grade of my final class, which is a C+. It's a language course, and I don't expect I will do well whatsoever.)

* 3.55-3.58 sGPA (Depending on whether certain courses will be considered part of BCPM.)
- Upward trend (had a 3.1 Freshman year, but 3.6-3.7 rest of the years)

* 508 MCAT (126/128/127/127)

ECs:

* 4 years of research in 2 labs (>1000 hours easily)
- 2 publications (co-author)
- 7 posters/abstracts (4 first author, 3 co-author)

* 5 years as part of student-run geopolitical affairs magazine
- Leadership: 1 year senior managing editor; 1 year as managing editor; 1 year general editor
- 2 years as regular writer
- 7 published articles in magazine

* ~ 300 hours volunteering at the Red Cross as a first-aid/CPR/first-responder for (sporting) events in the region
- Served as a Team Leader (minor leadership?)

* 2 years as part of a small student-run sports club
- Leadership: 1 year as Secretary; 1 years as President

* ~30 hours volunteering at UM Hospital stocking linens, changing sheets, helping nurses push patients, etc.

* ~20 hours of shadowing (also live with my brother, who's an attending physician, and we both talk about medicine a lot and he shares a lot about his profession) + ~50 hours of shadowing from high school (part of school program)

* Played a semester in the student rec tennis club, played twice in the annual student rec tennis tournament (never won lol), played once in the annual student flag football tournament (got wrecked in the playoffs lol)

I plan on doing something substantial from January-June of next year before I send my application, depending on what I need the most.

Potential Red Flags:

Had personal conflict last year (took only 2 classes) and familial conflict this year (didn't take any classes), so that delayed me getting this final course finished 1.5 years behind rest of my graduating class
* 1 W (Jr year; later got A-)
* 1 retake
* 3 Cs - 1 C in Orgo Chem from FR year (retook and got an A) ; 1 C+ in Phys II from SO year; 1 C+ in fourth semester language class in upcoming term
* No major awards (Dean's List one semester? Quarterfinalist in an essay contest? Scholarship recipient at Michigan?) <-- Don't consider these any anything big

Rather worried that my overall resume isn't very impressive. Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Aug 17, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Work on the self-esteem.

I suggest:

Rush

NYMC

Creighton

Albany

Rosy Franklin

Drexel

Temple

Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)

MCW

St. Louis U

WVU

Jefferson

Creighton

Tulane

Loyola

U Miami

Wake Forest

EVMS

VCU

Any DO program, starting with MSUCOM, CCOM and MUCOM.

ALL MI schools
Does his relatively extensive list of 7 posters/abstracts and 2 publications not play that much of a role in trying to apply for some higher tiers schools? It seems like a huge accomplishment compared to the average pool of applicants.

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
Does his relatively extensive list of 7 posters/abstracts and 2 publications not play that much of a role in trying to apply for some higher tiers schools? It seems like a huge accomplishment compared to the average pool of applicants.
This will mostly help at his state schools.
Stats will not make it past the screener at the research schools that might be interested in the posters.

Reactions: Goro

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
No.

GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member
May 5, 2015
Status
Non-Student
Your odds will clearly be best at your in-state schools(obviously ignore U of M where your GPA is below the 10th percentile and the median MCAT is a 37).

3.6/30 are not bad stats, they're rather competitive for Oakland, Central Michigan, Wayne State, Western Michigan and Michigan State honestly. Alot of U of M graduates who are also from the state have success with those schools with GPA's around yours.

Use Goro's list and throw in about 6-8 DO schools for good measure. Sounds like a solid list where you have a reasonable shot at some II's.

OP

This will mostly help at his state schools.
Stats will not make it past the screener at the research schools that might be interested in the posters.
I am guessing my numbers are too low? Will taking more science courses to reach a 3.6 science and cumulative GPA matter? I always get the impression that there is this divide between a 3.58 and 3.6, even if it's only .02 difference. I was also thinking about retaking the MCAT. I do feel I was in a bit of a time crunch, and could score several points higher.

Mainly, I think with my situation, I would happy getting into any of my state schools, but I do wonder if numbers are good enough for those programs.

Your odds will clearly be best at your in-state schools(obviously ignore U of M where your GPA is below the 10th percentile and the median MCAT is a 37). 3.6/30 are not bad stats, they're rather competitive for Oakland, Central Michigan, Wayne State, Western Michigan and Michigan State honestly. Alot of U of M graduates who are also from the state have success with those schools with GPA's around yours. Use Goro's list and throw in about 6-8 DO schools for good measure. Sounds like a solid list where you have a reasonable shot at some II's.
I would be delighted going to any allopathic schools, though my state schools are preferred. That or Texas schools (I have family in the state), but that's a pipe dream. I don't mind applying DO, but I don't think I would ideally want to go to any OOS DO program when I have MSUCOM at home. I think my stats won't rule me out of any of these programs, but I do feel it's a bit on the lower side? Oakland and Wayne's class profiles have higher GPA averages for example.

I guess I should mention I do want to consider tuition as a factor. I would much rather go somewhere OOS if it would mean a cheaper cost than attending a state private schoo.

Last edited by a moderator:

GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member
May 5, 2015
Status
Non-Student
I am guessing my numbers are too low? Will taking more science courses to reach a 3.6 science and cumulative GPA matter? I always get the impression that there is this divide between a 3.58 and 3.6, even if it's only .02 difference. I was also thinking about retaking the MCAT. I do feel I was in a bit of a time crunch, and could score several points higher.

Mainly, I think with my situation, I would happy getting into any of my state schools, but I do wonder if numbers are good enough for those programs.

I would be delighted going to any allopathic schools, though my state schools are preferred. That or Texas schools (I have family in the state), but that's a pipe dream. I don't mind applying DO, but I don't think I would ideally want to go to any OOS DO program when I have MSUCOM at home. I think my stats won't rule me out of any of these programs, but I do feel it's a bit on the lower side? Oakland and Wayne's class profiles have higher GPA averages for example.

I guess I should mention I do want to consider tuition as a factor. I would much rather go somewhere OOS if it would mean a cheaper cost than attending a state private schoo.
The cheapest tuition you'll find is in schools within Michigan. Central Michigan, Michigan State and Wayne State tuitions for Michigan residents all are around 30K.

You are fine for any DO school. Your stats are competitive for any lower tier MD school Goro listed. Retaking the MCAT for this cycle will do absolutely nothing for you. Nobody gives two s---'s about a 3.58 vs 3.6.