3.59 gpa and 502 mcat, any shot @ NYITCOM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wanttobeadoc12345

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do I have any shot at DO schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Where is your state of residence? What are your EC's? Any shadowing or clinical volunteering hours?

New York. 1 year shadowing a DO, 1 year shadowing a PA, volunteered at assisted living facility, my senior year in a research lab, worked as a PT aide, letters of rec from all those people plus head of my major, my minor and a science professor. Do I have any chance? Should I just retake mcat and not apply this cycle? I really didn't want that to be the case. But I'm afraid of applying too late in the cycle. I don't know what to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had similar stats this cycle. Applied to 9 DO schools and got 6 interviews. You should be good.

You have a chance for NYIT but you need to apply to many schools to increase your chances for interviews. In addition to NYIT consider these schools:
NYIT-Arkansas
ARCOM
ACOM
BCOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
UIWSOM
RVU-Utah
VCOM (all 3 schools)
LECOM (both schools)
PCOM

Reactions: 1 user
You have a chance for NYIT but you need to apply to many schools to increase your chances for interviews. In addition to NYIT consider these schools:
NYIT-Arkansas
ARCOM
ACOM
BCOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
UIWSOM
RVU-Utah
VCOM (all 3 schools)
LECOM (both schools)
PCOM

The DO schools I was planning to apply to are NYITCOM (#1 choice), TouroCOM, RowanCOM and PCOM. Odds are against me there?

The DO schools I was planning to apply to are NYITCOM (#1 choice), TouroCOM, RowanCOM and PCOM. Odds are against me there?
Touro, NYIT and PCOM have significantly higher MCAT medians than your score. Rowan has an instate preference. I suggest adding most of the schools I mentioned.

How early did you apply? My committee letter won't be completed until July.
'I applied at the beginning of August.
Ohio Resident:
GPAc 3.6, GPAs 3.5, MCAT 501

Midwestern-Chicago- Rejected
MSU- Rejected
Ohio University- Interview and acceptance
West Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine- Interview and acceptance
Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine- Interview and acceptance
Marian University- interview offer I did not attend
Kansas City University- interview offer I did not attend
Nova Southeastern- rejected
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic medicine- Interviewed and waitlisted

It is a long and grueling process. My advice is get used to waiting. It takes the schools awhile to look through all the apps.

Reactions: 1 user