3.5c/3.2s 508mcat CA, much appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Heisenburger

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you are a CA, Florida, Ohio or Michigan resident you can remove Central Michigan, USF, Wright and the CA schools. Consider adding these schools:
Vermont
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Oakland Beaumont
Tulane
Medical College Wisconsin
The GPA-MCAT grid shows you have a 50% chance for a MD acceptance so it would be a good strategy to apply to at least 8 DO schools and you may need a DO LOR for some schools.

If you are a CA applicant, I count 7 schools on your list where you have a fair to good chance at an interview (if your research is particularly strong).
That's not usually enough for CA applicants with your stats. And you are right about CN"U."
Look at @Faha's list and include both AZ schools.

I appreciate your time looking into this for me, thank you. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
In addition to previous suggestions, I've seen some success with this profile at the U of IL.

Reactions: 1 users
34% of Oakland's class last year was from CA, 25% for W Michigan. Neither gets that many apps. Those would be two along with UIC, both Arizona schools, MCW Albany and Creighton would be the first ones I'd look to take a shot at. If your research experience really is strong Va Tech and Wake might be worth it despite an MCAT at their 10th

Reactions: 1 user
So your ECs are excellent, your cGPA & MCAT are decent, but that science gpa is a little low for many MD schools. Being a non-urm CA applicant doesn't help your case either. I understand you have a upward trend and that's good but the overall 3.2 sGPA is still a concern. I suggest you definitely add a few DO schools (most of which you have very good chances) to the list. If the cycle doesn't pan out, I suggest a DIY post-bacc classes at a local university to boost that sGPA to at least a 3.5 to give you much better chances (no need for an SMP).

Reactions: 1 user
Update, 4.0 last semester with 17 hours, 10+ of them affect my sGPA. Now sitting at 3.6c/3.4sGPA

Should graduate this semester with roughly 3.6-3.7 cGPA, and ~3.5sGPA at university and 508mcat.

However, community college classes from 2012 (high school) reduce it to roughly 3.5c/3.35s.

Confident in my letters and EC's.

Ended up not applying to many schools (7-10). Planning to reapply more broadly, if I want to be very confident in the next cycle, SMP or DIY post-bacc? Do I retake the MCAT?

@Goro @gyngyn

Any advice is very much appreciated.

You're doing great. I can't recommend an MCAT retake until you see how this cycle shakes out. Can you give your school list? If needed, send PM and link to this thread.

Upward trends always look good.

Update, 4.0 last semester with 17 hours, 10+ of them affect my sGPA. Now sitting at 3.6c/3.4sGPA

Should graduate this semester with roughly 3.6-3.7 cGPA, and ~3.5sGPA at university and 508mcat.

However, community college classes from 2012 (high school) reduce it to roughly 3.5c/3.35s.

Confident in my letters and EC's.

Ended up not applying to many schools (7-10). Planning to reapply more broadly, if I want to be very confident in the next cycle, SMP or DIY post-bacc? Do I retake the MCAT?

@Goro @gyngyn

Any advice is very much appreciated.