MD 3.5cGPA, 3.4sGPA, 36MCAT; kind of meh ECs...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caxoo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
About me: Asian, pretty good school, TX resident

Research:
- 1 year/200 hours at uni
- 1 summer/500 hours at hospital (continuing from previous summer in HS), co-author in pub
- 2 summers/200 hours at non-profit org looking at drug waste, was going to perhaps publish something but my boss unfortunately passed

Health:
- 0.5 year/50 hours at free clinic (pretty cool, got to prick patients and measure blood glucose)
- 1 year/75 hours at Alzeheimer center/nursing home (not extremely "clinical", more reassuring/supervising seniors and Alzeheimer patients)
- 40 hours Chinese clinic (translating role mainly)
- 100 hours shadowing (didn't seem to get as much out of it as others, never got to witness surgeries or drastic situations where doctors had to make a tough call...I did sit in some doctor meetings which was neat)

Community Service:
- 2 years/300 hours at Asian cultural club, exec board I suppose
- 1 year/150 hours at health awareness club, VP of Administration

Letters: 2 from sci, 1-2 from non-sci, 1 from mentor at hospital from experience listed above

Applying to:
all TX schools
Virginia Tech
University of Miami
Oakland
College of Wisconsin
Wake Forest
Hofstra
Virginia Commonwealth
Ohio State
St Louis
Loyola
Brown
New York Medical College
Drexel
USC Kecks
Indiana University
Jefferson Medical College
Georgetown
Albert Einstein Yeshiva
Temple
Tufts
Tulane

(32 schools total)

Worries are clearly my weak GPA/sGPA and ECs. I'm wondering if there are schools I should've included, as well as some I may as well just strike out? I included schools mostly for scores vs my own IIRC. My GPA/sGPA are not particularly competitive for almost all schools compared to the mean scores...

Also, should I consider post-bacc?

Thanks everyone :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So am I just so on the right track that nobody's bothering to respond, or am I so off that nobody wants to even deal with me D:

Members don't see this ad :)
Your ECs are fine. Looks like a good list.

Oh okay. I thought I was weak since everyone else seems to have 200+ hours in everything they do...also I have very limited leadership positions in my community services (which I deeply regret not pursuing in college but what can you do). Thanks everyone!

I don't think you need a post-bac; your numbers are good, even the < avg sGPA. The ECs could use some more service experiences,...I'm not impressed with the non-clinical ECs.

Goro suggests

all TX schools
Rush
Creighton
Temple
Virginia Tech
University of Miami
Oakland
College of Wisconsin
Wake Forest
Hofstra
Virginia Commonwealth