3.6, 3.3 sGPA, downward trend...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snowwhat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone-

I just submitted my application last night, only to wake up with the horrible realization that my sGPA has dropped significantly since freshman year. I'm looking at a 3.8 freshman year, 3.4 sophomore year, and 3.0 junior year. Initially this looks horrible, but a couple of factors play in- 1st semester sophomore year (the semester mainly contributing to the lower sGPA) I was in a very time consuming musical. This is stated in my application but I don't say that it is definitely the main factor in my lower GPA. My junior year, I studied abroad and got a couple of Bs due to a couple of factors (weird grade conversions, different school systems, wanting to enjoy my time abroad, etc.) as well as a B- second semester in orgo. Again, I don't make excuses or say this in my application.

My grades in other classes have been pretty constant (I haven't done the calculating, but I'd say upwards of a 3.7 or 3.8 all or most semesters).

How much do you think this will hurt me? Does anyone know how much med schools look at term by term GPA (and do they mainly look at it on a term or yearly basis?). Also, do you think they will notice these factors contributing to my lower GPA without my having stated it explicitly? (Though perhaps I can find a way to put it into my secondaries, when/if I get them)

I'm still waiting on my MCAT (hoping for a 30-32 based on practices) and have ample leadership (4 positions), clinical (~400 hrs), and research (~300hrs) experience. For what it's worth, I go to a top 20 liberal arts school and think I have above average recs and a great essay.

This is where I am applying (21 in total; I'm from Maryland):
UMD
Georgetown
GW
Cooper
Albert Einstein
Drexel
EVMS
Jefferson
New York Medical College
Penn State
Penn
New Jersey Medical School
Robert Wood Johnson
SUNY
Stony Brook
The Commonwealth
UNC Chapel Hill
Wake Forest
UVA
Virginia Commonwealth
VA Tech
(yes, I know I have quite a few reaches)

Thank you for any help!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I had similar stats to yours (assuming your projected MCAT) with an upward trend and did not get an acceptance until late in the cycle. I applied to 18 MD schools, 0 DO. It was really stressful. I would add DO schools to the list to give me some peace of mind if I were to do it again, especially if I knew my list was top-heavy.

I've removed the unlikeliest schools, and suggest adding Hofstra, Quinnipac, Albany and Temple, maybe Loyola and Rosy Franklin.

UMD
Georgetown
GW
Cooper
Drexel
EVMS
Jefferson
New York Medical College
Penn State
The Commonwealth
UNC Chapel Hill
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
VA Tech

Members don't see this ad :)
I had similar stats to yours (assuming your projected MCAT) with an upward trend and did not get an acceptance until late in the cycle. I applied to 18 MD schools, 0 DO. It was really stressful. I would add DO schools to the list to give me some peace of mind if I were to do it again, especially if I knew my list was top-heavy.

so you had a 3.6/3.3 with a 30-32 and was able to get a MD with only 18 applications? things arent as bad as i think...

usually, i tell people that with a 3.6/3.3, you really need a 35+ for a good shot at MD.

I've removed the unlikeliest schools, and suggest adding Hofstra, Quinnipac, Albany and Temple, maybe Loyola and Rosy Franklin.

Thank you for your help! Currently, I'm only applying to SUNY Stony Brook and SUNY Downstate... do you think its worth adding Upstate and Buffalo? Are they any easier?

so you had a 3.6/3.3 with a 30-32 and was able to get a MD with only 18 applications? things arent as bad as i think...

usually, i tell people that with a 3.6/3.3, you really need a 35+ for a good shot at MD.

More like 3.5/3.2 actually. I don't think my experience was a fluke but I certainly don't think it is the norm, hence the DO app recommendation.

More like 3.5/3.2 actually. I don't think my experience was a fluke but I certainly don't think it is the norm, hence the DO app recommendation.

Thanks Pasmal for giving me hope!! My school keeps telling me that our stats are slightly better than at other schools, but I keep reading on here and freaking out. I definitely expect it to be an uphill battle and I just opened AAMCOMAS app now so I can apply to a couple of local DO schools. Who knows, might end up loving it if I end up going to one! Keeping my mind open.

You are a wiser applicant than I... good luck :) PM me and let me know how things go if you get the chance!