3.6/33 Asian jhu undergrad chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nets445

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ecs are your regular cookie cutter ones. Lors are decent not great. Applying as early as possible and to 30+ schools, all private ones and IS schools. Home state is North Carolina. Anyone care to chance?

Members don't see this ad.

Ecs are your regular cookie cutter ones. Lors are decent not great. Applying as early as possible and to 30+ schools, all private ones and IS schools. Home state is North Carolina. Anyone care to chance?

Impossible to say with just "ECs are your regular cookie cutter ones" and no school list. But if I had to say how I feel about it, I'd say slightly above average to good, but not great.

apply to UNC Chapel Hill. according to another thread, in-state applicants have a 50% chance of getting an interview (1000 IS applicants, 500 or so gets interview invites) and 25% chance of getting an acceptance. it is a killer deal.

and your stats are competitive for UNC.

Members don't see this ad :)

Guess we are competition for each other at UNC? :p

But seriously, your stats are fine. I'd work on turning your experiences into a meaningful essay. I'm curious why you think your LORs are decent and not great and why your ECs are cooke-cutter? You should be proud!

apply to UNC Chapel Hill. according to another thread, in-state applicants have a 50% chance of getting an interview (1000 IS applicants, 500 or so gets interview invites) and 25% chance of getting an acceptance. it is a killer deal.

and your stats are competitive for UNC.

Do you have a source for this information? Someone mentioned it in the topic I posted but it seems ridiculous (no offense!).

EDIT: Well, that was easy: http://www.med.unc.edu/admit/about-unc/our-students/demographics

It's true! Last year 885 in-state applied and 464 were inteviewed for an interview rate of 52.5%! Considering 140 in-state applicants were accepted, the in-state acceptance rate for UNC-Chapel Hill is 15.8% and the in-state percentage of interviewees accepted is over 30%!

Guess we are competition for each other at UNC? :p

But seriously, your stats are fine. I'd work on turning your experiences into a meaningful essay. I'm curious why you think your LORs are decent and not great and why your ECs are cooke-cutter? You should be proud!

Im mainly worried about my gpa because 3.6 is on the lower end for most schools. As for my ECs, I have over 100 hours of research, shadowing, community based volunteering, and clinical volunteering; so basically your regular cookie cutter ones since I don't have any leadership positions in any of them or a publication. I think my LORs will be good but they're not going to be "blow adcoms away" LORs.

Hopefully I can get into either UNC or East Carolina. Good luck to you too!

A 3.6 from JHU is pretty solid, I'd imagine you'll be just fine if your ECs are really on par.

your application doesn't look impressive, but won't necessarily get you the boot either.
I am curious to why your letters are not stellar...?

It is my understanding that medical schools wants unique, and people who really standout. So I'm not sure how your chances are.Yes, you may get an interview, but I'm curious as to how everything will pan out in the end.

your application doesn't look impressive, but won't necessarily get you the boot either.
I am curious to why your letters are not stellar...?

It is my understanding that medical schools wants unique, and people who really standout. So I'm not sure how your chances are.Yes, you may get an interview, but I'm curious as to how everything will pan out in the end.

I don't think my letters are stellar because I haven't had that much interaction with my professors. I feel like my ECs are decent but not very unique since basically every applicant has the same ones (research, volunteer, etc) and I don't have any leadership experiences.