3.6/ 518 MCAT / CA Resident URM Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mo43

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I graduated in 2015 from a top10 public school and would like to have a better idea of where to apply to next year. I'm a first generation URM (Half Mexican Half Pakistani) from a low income family.

I spent 3 years in Community College and got a 3.3gpa. I worked full time while in CC in order to help my family out and wound up getting 4 C's in pre req courses. I then transferred to a Top 10 Public school and graduated with a 3.85 as a Biology major (Magna cum laude w/ Departmental honors). My overall/bcpm GPA's were a 3.5, so after graduating I retook the 4 pre reqs that I got C's in. The re-takes along with the huge upward at University brought me from 3.3 -> 3.6

EC's
Employment:
- Worked 30-35 hours per week for 2 years while attending CC (Jobs include Pizza Hut, McDonald's, Walgreens)
- Served as a CC Chem and Bio tutor for 1 year
- Currently working at a Biotech Company as a Research Associate

Medical Volunteering:
- 300 Total Hours of Volunteering at Hospitals
- 200 Hours Volunteering at Warehouse that packages and sends donated medical equipment to free clinics
- 150 Hours of volunteering at a Clinic that serves the Latino Community

Non-Medical Volunteering
- 200 Hours of Volunteering at my Local Foodbank

Research:
- 3 Month Internship at Stanford. 1 Poster
- 29 Months of Research at my Undergrad Institution. 1 Publication
- 4 Months of Working as a Research Associate at a Biotech Company (Current job)

Shadowing:
- 50 Hours in Orthopedics, 30 in Family Medicine, 20 in Pain Management

My LOR's are decent: PI (strong), CC Science Prof (Strong), Uni Science prof (average), Physician (Strong).

Here's a Rough Draft of my list:

UCSF
UCLA
UCSD
UCI
UC Davis
Touro- CA
Duke
Vanderbilt
Columbia
NYU
Sinai
Einstein
Cornell
Feinberg
Perelman
Stanford
Yale
Baylor
Pitt
Michigan
Harvard
OHSU
U Nevada
U Wisconsin
Ohio State
NYMC
Drexel
GWU
Georgetown
Miller

I added in a lot of top schools but I will probably remove a lot of them. What are my chances at Top 20 schools? I really would like to stay in CA

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You do have a lot of top schools so think of removing Harvard, Baylor, Yale, Stanford, Perelman, Columbia. Also Nevada and U Wisconsin accept few non residents. Consider adding these schools:
Boston University
Tufts
Hofstra
Wake Forest
Miami
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Cincinnati
Medical College Wisconsin
St. Louis
Tulane
Case Western

You do have a lot of top schools so think of removing Harvard, Baylor, Yale, Stanford, Perelman, Columbia. Also Nevada and U Wisconsin accept few non residents. Consider adding these schools:
Boston University
Tufts
Hofstra
Wake Forest
Miami
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Cincinnati
Medical College Wisconsin
St. Louis
Tulane
Case Western

I wouldnt remove all of them, maybe half. OP has a profile that I wouldnt be *astounded* to see get into Yale, for instance.

Reactions: 1 user