Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

MD & DO 3.6 c&sGPA 505 MCAT Non-trad applicant diverse experiences

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by yeasureyoubetcha, Aug 20, 2015.

1. yeasureyoubetcha

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I was curious what people thought of my situation because I'm getting really skeptical and down. Graduated from undergrad in 2011-UMass-Biochem & Molecular Biology. Went through a some things freshman year that resulted in a low GPA. It picked up during sophomore year, so sophomore year onwards was 3.6c&sGPA, being on the deans list every semester until graduation. I did a lot of undergraduate research from sophomore year onwards related to DNA repair pathways.

After graduation I started at Merck as a full-time employee and have been working in a BioProcess group (Process development and method development) since then. We got a metastatic melanoma drug approved (Keytruda) last year and long story short, it changed my entire outlook on what was important to me. I took a few grad classes at Lehigh part-time while employed at Merck.

Took the July MCAT: 505 composite score
    PS: 130/132
    CARS: 122/132
    BS: 127/132
    P/S: 126/132

I know the CARS is low. From practice tests I was consistently getting 124's so I was a little surprised by the 122.

Since January, I've been shadowing my internist, and a DO we know. Both are writing letters for me. Additionally, my manager at Merck is writing a letter, and a prof I TA'ed for for 1yr, and my upper level biochem prof. I also spent a vacation day shadowing a vascular surgeon for the day--didn't ask for a letter because it wasn't longitudinal. Total shadowing time: ~100 hrs for the internists, 10-11hr for the vascular surgeon.

Volunteer experience: 40 hrs working with kids aging out of the US foster system with behavioral issues to adapt them to society and direct their career paths. ~ 60hrs at an assisted living facility, working with the traditional residents and in the dementia units alongside the activities staff.

What do you guys think the chances are for MD/DO acceptance, and where should I be looking for that? I'm a NJ resident BTW.

2. gyngyn

gyngyn Professor
    Moderator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Academic Administration
    Have you calculated your AMCAS and AACOMAS gpa's?

3. yeasureyoubetcha

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Those were approximated best guess. It's all I have to go on right now. I have no idea how AMCAS will calculate things. I should be AMCAS verified by the end of next week. I have to expedite the accomas app now.

4. gyngyn

gyngyn Professor

5. yeasureyoubetcha

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    AMCAS gpas: 3.3 cGPA Freshman-Senior, 3.5sGPA Fresh-Senior. Sophomore-Senior year is most representative though with a very clear, very positive uptrend. My ACCOMAS app is ~ 50% complete, so I guess I'm more interested in the MD apps right now since the deadline for those is sooner.

6. gyngyn

gyngyn Professor

Those stats give you about a 34% MD acceptance rate by historical norms.
    Apply to your state schools and nearby schools where the median MCAT is as low as possible.
    Have you bought the MSAR?
    Come back with a list and we will be glad to chime in.

7. yeasureyoubetcha

2+ Year Member

Medical Student

I've bought MSAR. I was really looking at 10%tile for subsections. I did a filter on the schools i thought I'd have a shot at looking at cGPA, MCAT composite and MCAT verbal then narrowed down/called most of these so far. As it stands I'm looking at:
    Cooper Medical College at Rowan
    WVU SOM
    Rosalind Franklin
    University of Washington SOM
    Quinnipiac Frank H Netter
    Drexel
    Jefferson
    RWJ NJ
    NJMS
    NY Medical College

Is there something you have in mind not mentioned?

8. gyngyn

gyngyn Professor

Delete U of WA (not WWAMI).
    Maybe add MCW and TCMC.
    You really need to start focusing on a DO application, too.

9. yeasureyoubetcha

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I actually spoke to UoWA and they seemed interested in seeing my application. Both UofWA and WVU COM seemed to mean it when they said "holistic" which is why I thought I'd give them the time of day. The DO app i'll be getting into shape this week. I eliminated TCMC because it was 22% OOS matriculated with 100 total spots (MSAR odds didnt seem worth the time), but what do you think about MCW?

10. Faha

Physician 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You could add Albany, Oakland Beaumont, Western Michigan, Rush and Creighton. Also apply to at least 10 DO schools and you are competitive for most DO schools.

11. yeasureyoubetcha

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    After speaking to a few DO schools it did seem like I'd be competitive for most. What may I ask is your rationale for the addition of your suggestions?

12. gyngyn

gyngyn Professor

I like U of WA as a school (full disclosure: they accepted me), but I still think it's a long shot (your call). Let me know how it goes if you apply.
    TCMC took quite a few CA candidates that look a lot like you. That's the basis for the recommendation.
    I like MCW in your situation.

chemguy79 likes this.
  13. yeasureyoubetcha

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    My main issue is the low verbal/CARS score IMO. Is that what you're referring to when you mean they look like me?

14. Faha

Physician 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Your MCAT score is in the range for an interview at those MD schools.

15. gyngyn

gyngyn Professor

Good applicants with...flaws.

16. yeasureyoubetcha

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Well thank you both for your input. I'm really appreciative of it. Lots of work to do. If anyone else had other suggestions or reinforcing opinions, I welcome the insight.

17. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I suggest the following:

Quinnipiac
    Oakland U Beaumont
    WVU
    EVMS
    Rosy Franklin
    MCW
    Creighton
    NYMC
    VCU
    Rush
    Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
    Albany
    Your state school(s).
    Any DO school, starting with Rowan, PCOM, NYIT, Touro-NY