yeasureyoubetcha

2+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I was curious what people thought of my situation because I'm getting really skeptical and down. Graduated from undergrad in 2011-UMass-Biochem & Molecular Biology. Went through a some things freshman year that resulted in a low GPA. It picked up during sophomore year, so sophomore year onwards was 3.6c&sGPA, being on the deans list every semester until graduation. I did a lot of undergraduate research from sophomore year onwards related to DNA repair pathways.

After graduation I started at Merck as a full-time employee and have been working in a BioProcess group (Process development and method development) since then. We got a metastatic melanoma drug approved (Keytruda) last year and long story short, it changed my entire outlook on what was important to me. I took a few grad classes at Lehigh part-time while employed at Merck.

Took the July MCAT: 505 composite score
PS: 130/132
CARS: 122/132
BS: 127/132
P/S: 126/132

I know the CARS is low. From practice tests I was consistently getting 124's so I was a little surprised by the 122.

Since January, I've been shadowing my internist, and a DO we know. Both are writing letters for me. Additionally, my manager at Merck is writing a letter, and a prof I TA'ed for for 1yr, and my upper level biochem prof. I also spent a vacation day shadowing a vascular surgeon for the day--didn't ask for a letter because it wasn't longitudinal. Total shadowing time: ~100 hrs for the internists, 10-11hr for the vascular surgeon.

Volunteer experience: 40 hrs working with kids aging out of the US foster system with behavioral issues to adapt them to society and direct their career paths. ~ 60hrs at an assisted living facility, working with the traditional residents and in the dementia units alongside the activities staff.

What do you guys think the chances are for MD/DO acceptance, and where should I be looking for that? I'm a NJ resident BTW.

yeasureyoubetcha

2+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Those were approximated best guess. It's all I have to go on right now. I have no idea how AMCAS will calculate things. I should be AMCAS verified by the end of next week. I have to expedite the accomas app now.

About the Ads

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
AMCAS gpas: 3.3 cGPA Freshman-Senior, 3.5sGPA Fresh-Senior. Sophomore-Senior year is most representative though with a very clear, very positive uptrend. My ACCOMAS app is ~ 50% complete, so I guess I'm more interested in the MD apps right now since the deadline for those is sooner.
Those stats give you about a 34% MD acceptance rate by historical norms.
Apply to your state schools and nearby schools where the median MCAT is as low as possible.
Have you bought the MSAR?
Come back with a list and we will be glad to chime in.

yeasureyoubetcha

2+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Those stats give you about a 34% MD acceptance rate by historical norms.
Apply to your state schools and nearby schools where the median MCAT is as low as possible.
Have you bought the MSAR?
Come back with a list and we will be glad to chime in.

I've bought MSAR. I was really looking at 10%tile for subsections. I did a filter on the schools i thought I'd have a shot at looking at cGPA, MCAT composite and MCAT verbal then narrowed down/called most of these so far. As it stands I'm looking at:
Cooper Medical College at Rowan
WVU SOM
Rosalind Franklin
University of Washington SOM
Quinnipiac Frank H Netter
Drexel
Jefferson
RWJ NJ
NJMS
NY Medical College

Is there something you have in mind not mentioned?

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
I've bought MSAR. I was really looking at 10%tile for subsections. I did a filter on the schools i thought I'd have a shot at looking at cGPA, MCAT composite and MCAT verbal then narrowed down/called most of these so far. As it stands I'm looking at:
Cooper Medical College at Rowan
WVU SOM
Rosalind Franklin
University of Washington SOM
Quinnipiac Frank H Netter
Drexel
Jefferson
RWJ NJ
NJMS
NY Medical College

Is there something you have in mind not mentioned?
Delete U of WA (not WWAMI).
Maybe add MCW and TCMC.
You really need to start focusing on a DO application, too.

yeasureyoubetcha

2+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Delete U of WA (not WWAMI).
Maybe add MCW and TCMC.
You really need to start focusing on a DO application, too.
I actually spoke to UoWA and they seemed interested in seeing my application. Both UofWA and WVU COM seemed to mean it when they said "holistic" which is why I thought I'd give them the time of day. The DO app i'll be getting into shape this week. I eliminated TCMC because it was 22% OOS matriculated with 100 total spots (MSAR odds didnt seem worth the time), but what do you think about MCW?

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status
Attending Physician
You could add Albany, Oakland Beaumont, Western Michigan, Rush and Creighton. Also apply to at least 10 DO schools and you are competitive for most DO schools.

yeasureyoubetcha

2+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2015
Status
Medical Student
You could add Albany, Oakland Beaumont, Western Michigan, Rush and Creighton. Also apply to at least 10 DO schools and you are competitive for most DO schools.
After speaking to a few DO schools it did seem like I'd be competitive for most. What may I ask is your rationale for the addition of your suggestions?

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
I actually spoke to UoWA and they seemed interested in seeing my application. Both UofWA and WVU COM seemed to mean it when they said "holistic" which is why I thought I'd give them the time of day. The DO app i'll be getting into shape this week. I eliminated TCMC because it was 22% OOS matriculated with 100 total spots (MSAR odds didnt seem worth the time), but what do you think about MCW?
I like U of WA as a school (full disclosure: they accepted me), but I still think it's a long shot (your call). Let me know how it goes if you apply.
TCMC took quite a few CA candidates that look a lot like you. That's the basis for the recommendation.
I like MCW in your situation.

Reactions: chemguy79

yeasureyoubetcha

2+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I like U of WA as a school (full disclosure: they accepted me), but I still think it's a long shot (your call). Let me know how it goes if you apply.
TCMC took quite a few CA candidates that look a lot like you. That's the basis for the recommendation.
I like MCW in your situation.
My main issue is the low verbal/CARS score IMO. Is that what you're referring to when you mean they look like me?

yeasureyoubetcha

2+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Well thank you both for your input. I'm really appreciative of it. Lots of work to do. If anyone else had other suggestions or reinforcing opinions, I welcome the insight.

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
I suggest the following:

Quinnipiac
Oakland U Beaumont
WVU
EVMS
Rosy Franklin
MCW
Creighton
NYMC
VCU
Rush
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
Albany
Your state school(s).
Any DO school, starting with Rowan, PCOM, NYIT, Touro-NY

I was curious what people thought of my situation because I'm getting really skeptical and down. Graduated from undergrad in 2011-UMass-Biochem & Molecular Biology. Went through a some things freshman year that resulted in a low GPA. It picked up during sophomore year, so sophomore year onwards was 3.6c&sGPA, being on the deans list every semester until graduation. I did a lot of undergraduate research from sophomore year onwards related to DNA repair pathways.

After graduation I started at Merck as a full-time employee and have been working in a BioProcess group (Process development and method development) since then. We got a metastatic melanoma drug approved (Keytruda) last year and long story short, it changed my entire outlook on what was important to me. I took a few grad classes at Lehigh part-time while employed at Merck.

Took the July MCAT: 505 composite score
PS: 130/132
CARS: 122/132
BS: 127/132
P/S: 126/132

I know the CARS is low. From practice tests I was consistently getting 124's so I was a little surprised by the 122.

Since January, I've been shadowing my internist, and a DO we know. Both are writing letters for me. Additionally, my manager at Merck is writing a letter, and a prof I TA'ed for for 1yr, and my upper level biochem prof. I also spent a vacation day shadowing a vascular surgeon for the day--didn't ask for a letter because it wasn't longitudinal. Total shadowing time: ~100 hrs for the internists, 10-11hr for the vascular surgeon.

Volunteer experience: 40 hrs working with kids aging out of the US foster system with behavioral issues to adapt them to society and direct their career paths. ~ 60hrs at an assisted living facility, working with the traditional residents and in the dementia units alongside the activities staff.

What do you guys think the chances are for MD/DO acceptance, and where should I be looking for that? I'm a NJ resident BTW.

About the Ads