3.6 cGPA, 3.4 sGPA. What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zachjm2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My cumulative GPA is a 3.60 and my science GPA is a 3.42. My non-science GPA is a 3.81. I haven't taken the MCAT yet, but I'm assuming I will do alright. I volunteered in a hospital in the ER, oncology, and behavioral health for a year and a half and I've been involved in some clubs at school. I'm wondering what my chances are at most schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Is there any chance that your BCPM GPA will come up this last term? If so, and if you have an upward grade trend recently and a decent MCAT score, schools you apply to will evaluate the rest of your application. Unfortunately, other than an average amount of clinical experience (albeit, some nice variety), I see nothing that tells me you'd be a good person to consider further. Do you have any activity that spans a few years?

I see no physician shadowing, no leadership, no teaching, no research, no nonmedical community service. Clubs don't help you much if you don't use them to gain a leadership role or as an impetus to nonmedical community service.

Since you don't mention any of that stuff, what are you doing with your time? Do you have some hobby or a job that keeps you from getting involved? So far, I'm thinking your chances of an acceptance aren't so good, but maybe you forgot to mention some pertinent experiences.

If this is really all you've got, consider waiting a year to apply so you can beef up your GPAs and ECs.

Is there any chance that your BCPM GPA will come up this last term? If so, and if you have an upward grade trend recently and a decent MCAT score, schools you apply to will evaluate the rest of your application. Unfortunately, other than an average amount of clinical experience (albeit, some nice variety), I see nothing that tells me you'd be a good person to consider further. Do you have any activity that spans a few years?

I see no physician shadowing, no leadership, no teaching, no research, no nonmedical community service. Clubs don't help you much if you don't use them to gain a leadership role or as an impetus to nonmedical community service.

Since you don't mention any of that stuff, what are you doing with your time? Do you have some hobby or a job that keeps you from getting involved? So far, I'm thinking your chances of an acceptance aren't so good, but maybe you forgot to mention some pertinent experiences.

If this is really all you've got, consider waiting a year to apply so you can beef up your GPAs and ECs.

My overall GPA could be 3.65 at the end of the semester and my science GPA could be 3.54 if I make all A's. I worked the first 2 years of school since my parents could not afford school expenses and I ended up taking out loans and leaving my job so I could have more time for school and volunteering. I'm trying to start shadowing now. I don't know if it's too late to become involved in research since I want to apply in the summer and I was wondering how important it was.

Members don't see this ad :)
A BCPM of 3.54 would be much better than the current 3.4. I hope you get the As you anticipate.

Working heavy hours does excuse some sparseness of ECs during that time, so I'd be sure to list the employment on your application so that is clear.

Research isn't essential. Only 60% of applicants list it. If everything else is strong, you'd be fine without it, provided you're not applying to any research giants. That said, even a brief summer experience has value and you'd get credit for trying it.

A BCPM of 3.54 would be much better than the current 3.4. I hope you get the As you anticipate.

Working heavy hours does excuse some sparseness of ECs during that time, so I'd be sure to list the employment on your application so that is clear.

Research isn't essential. Only 60% of applicants list it. If everything else is strong, you'd be fine without it, provided you're not applying to any research giants. That said, even a brief summer experience has value and you'd get credit for trying it.

Thanks for the advice. I'll work hard to bring up my GPA and get both shadowing and research experience this semester.