3.6 cGPA, 3.5 sGPA, September MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boesem11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a twenty two year old white male who will be graduating with a BS in Biology- Health Care Science and a minor in Chemistry next May. Currently, I have a 3.6 cGPA and 3.5 sGPA. I will be taking my MCAT in September, mainly due to poor planning on my part.

For the last year and a half I have worked over one thousand hours in a physician scribe capacity at a local ER. I have worked under 5 allopaths and 2 osteopaths. Additionally, I work as a Clinical Lab Assistant and Phlebotomist between two of the biggest hospitals in the Fox Valley, Wisconsin area. Recently, I also began working as a phlebotomist, screener, and health coach for a company that gets hired out to conduct employee health assessments.

For 2.5 years I worked as an Service Desk technician, providing technical support to the 50,000 employees of Yahoo! Inc. I have also tutored, provided notes, volunteered in a hospital setting, volunteered in non-medical settings, played collegiate volleyball for one year, worked for the Milwaukee Ballet School as a professional accompanist, and show equines competitively at the local and national level.

I am concerned due to how late I am applying in the cycle and the fact that my MCAT score is still unknown. In your opinion, what would be a "good enough" score to get invited for an interview to DO schools, ideally CCOM. One of the DOs I work with attended CCOM and will be writing me a personal LOR. I have also spoken with two residents who work in my hospital and attended CCOM who have offered to contact CCOM if needed.

Feedback is welcome. What MCAT score should I shoot for? Is it worth applying this cycle or wait till next? Constructive criticism and advice please.

Members don't see this ad.

32+ apply this year
28 to 31 Apply discreetly but accept that rejection may happen
<28 wait to apply next year or retake if the score is <25

It really depends on how you feel you did with your MCAT. I mean, if you apply now, you won't be impossibly late in the cycle. I still don't have my scores back, but I sent out my apps, mainly on the prayer that my MCAT won't be embarrassing lol. But IMHO, you have excellent EC's, and most of your application will shine at osteopathic schools, and even allopathic schools. I say apply, especially if you're not worried about the MD/DO difference. Solid GPA, not stellar, and if the MCAT is about the same, you should be fine...

I have not yet taken the MCAT but I am mildly worried about it, as I think I should be. I realized early enough, however, that I wasn't putting enough time into VR and now do passages daily. I submitted my application/transcripts to AACOMAS three weeks ago, but it is still processing. So, in essence, I did the same as you by sending out my application prior to knowing my MCAT scores. I think this is risky but I'm hoping to get high enough of a MCAT score to get my foot in the door for an interview. All I can really do now is study my arse off!