MD 3.6 cGPA, 3.51 sGPA, 30 MCAT, help with school list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FindMeOnTheLinks

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is less of a WAMC and more of a "help with school list"

UPDATE:

My stats: 3.66/3.67 35 MCAT, MN or FL resident (i can pick either)

Extra curricular:
-Varsity DIII athlete (Football), 1 year letter winner, academic all conference, thousands of hours
-135 hours of clinical/OR shadowing in various specialties
-1 semester of toxicology research, 40 hours
-Received funding/award from college to do research with one of my prof's this summer, will have about 100 hours by the time I apply, research pertaining to parkinsons disease
-50 hours volunteer tutoring
-paid biology tutor, 1 semester, 30 hours
-TA for gen bio, 1 semester, 40 hours
-two mission trips, 1 as a student (juarez, mexico) and another as a leader/chaperone for middle school students (green bay, WI)
-a couple miscellaneous jobs on campus
-worked an office job for a home healthcare staffing company for two summers, 400 hours total

I know I am slim on volunteering but I think I am well-rounded in other areas.

Here is one of my main concerns: on two occasions I was cited by the dorm RA's for drinking alcohol underage. These were both school alcohol policy violations, I wasn't arrested or anything, and they occurred about 6 months apart. I have definitely learned from the experience and know exactly how to articulate this when it comes up in interviews. I was just wondering if these might be red flags on my app and if I should justify it somehow on my primary.

I am also thinking of doing HPSP through the army or navy, is this something I should address in my application?

School list:

Mayo
University of Minnesota TC
University of MN Duluth
U of Iowa
UND
Rush
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Wake Forest
FAU
UF
USF
UCF
Miami Miller
USUHS
Creighton
Drexel
Penn State
Tufts
Virginia Tech Carilion
Western Michigan
Central Michigan
Cooper
Albany
Quinnipiac
NYMC
Commonwealth

Thinking of adding: Meharry, Eastern Virginia, FIU,

As it stands my list is 27, but i would like to whittle that down to about 20. Are there other schools that yall would recommend, and which should I remove from my list?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Unless you're from ND, MN, or a WICHE state I would take UND off your list.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are 11 spots reserved for MN and WICHE applicants, and it usually ends-up being split 50/50 between the two groups. So you're essentially competing for 1 of 5-6 spots. The MN applicants that are accepted tend to have really strong stats. That said, I would say it wouldn't hurt to apply. The secondary isn't too bad, tuition is cheap (especially in-state), and it's an awesome school.

Reactions: 1 user
There are 11 spots reserved for MN and WICHE applicants, and it usually ends-up being split 50/50 between the two groups. So you're essentially competing for 1 of 5-6 spots. The MN applicants that are accepted tend to have really strong stats. That said, I would say it wouldn't hurt to apply. The secondary isn't too bad, tuition is cheap (especially in-state), and it's an awesome school.
Thank you for the information and advice.

Also, my sGPA is actually a bit higher than what I first reported, the earlier 3.51 did not include a chemistry course I took over J-term. It is actually 3.59, though this probably doesn't make much of a difference.

Thank you gyngyn, I added them to my list of potential schools because my numbers seemed to be favorable compared to their median stats, and it is a desirable location to me. If their OOS acceptance rate is that low, I'm going to go ahead and remove them from my list. I wasn't aware they were part of a separate application system..

I would add some DO schools to that list as well

Many of the schools on your list are community oriented but you don't have a lot of volunteer work. I would try to increase this or do a great job of discussing your commitment in your applications if it is something you're passionate about.

Last edited: