3.6 cGPA 3.55 sGPA 519 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RedLobster

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

Long time lurker and first time posting here. Graduated two years ago. Gap year has been spent working for a public health nonprofit and hospital volunteering/shadowing on the side. Considering applying this upcoming cycle

As mentioned above:

cGPA: 3.62
sGPA: 3.55
MCAT: 519 (balanced)

GPA-wise, cGPA is upward trend since freshman year while sGPA slightly lowered during sophomore year but then huge upward trend junior and senior year

State: MD
Undergrad: top 50 private
Race: ORM (Indian American)

Clinical: 300 hours of hospice volunteering, 150 hours of hospital volunteering, and 150 hours shadowing various physicians

Volunteering: Several soup kitchens over several years (300 hours)

Research: Genetic Research (800 hours), Epidemiology Research (300 hours), several posters from both, but no pubs

Currently, I am slightly worried about my GPA/sGPA being much lower than the median/25th percentile of many schools.

School List (currently):

Brown
Columbia
Dartmouth
MD
George Washington
Georgetown
USUHS (I know about the commitment)
Virginia Tech
VCU
Emory
University of Michigan
Boston University
Albert Einstein
Tufts
Kaiser

What other schools should I consider? Financially, I can afford to apply. (looking for ~25 schools)
With my stats, should I also consider DO?

Please feel free to add or suggest schools for my list! Thank you all!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest adding these schools to your list:
West Virginia
Hofstra
Mount Sinai
Jefferson
Eastern Virginia
Duke
Cincinnati
Western Michigan
St. Louis
Tulane

Hi!

Long time lurker and first time posting here. Graduated two years ago. Gap year has been spent working for a public health nonprofit and hospital volunteering/shadowing on the side. Considering applying this upcoming cycle

As mentioned above:

cGPA: 3.62
sGPA: 3.55
MCAT: 519 (balanced)

GPA-wise, cGPA is upward trend since freshman year while sGPA slightly lowered during sophomore year but then huge upward trend junior and senior year

State: MD
Undergrad: top 50 private
Race: ORM (Indian American)

Clinical: 300 hours of hospice volunteering, 150 hours of hospital volunteering, and 150 hours shadowing various physicians

Volunteering: Several soup kitchens over several years (300 hours)

Research: Genetic Research (800 hours), Epidemiology Research (300 hours), several posters from both, but no pubs

Currently, I am slightly worried about my GPA/sGPA being much lower than the median/25th percentile of many schools.

School List (currently):

Brown
Columbia
Dartmouth
MD
George Washington
Georgetown
USUHS (I know about the commitment)
Virginia Tech
VCU
Emory
University of Michigan
Boston University
Albert Einstein
Tufts
Kaiser

What other schools should I consider? Financially, I can afford to apply. (looking for ~25 schools)
With my stats, should I also consider DO?

Please feel free to add or suggest schools for my list! Thank you all!!!
Invest in MSAR Online and delete the schools from your list whose 10th%ile GPAs for acceptees are greater than yours (like Columbia and U MI). Brown highly favors their own, so scratch them. I don't know if Kaiser will be taking apps next cycle.

ADD:
EVMS
U WV
Wake
The Philly Triplets
Albany
NYMC
Netter
U Rochester
Hofstra
U Miami
Pitt (maybe)
Marshall (maybe)
Loyola
Tulane
Rush
Creighton
SLU
MCW
NovaMD

Members don't see this ad :)
Invest in MSAR Online and delete the schools from your list whose 10th%ile GPAs for acceptees are greater than yours (like Columbia and U MI). Brown highly favors their own, so scratch them. I don't know if Kaiser will be taking apps next cycle.

ADD:
EVMS
U WV
Wake
The Philly Triplets
Albany
NYMC
Netter
U Rochester
Hofstra
U Miami
Pitt (maybe)
Marshall (maybe)
Loyola
Tulane
Rush
Creighton
SLU
MCW
NovaMD
Is It true that Sinai and Columbia heavily favor applicants who worked with underserved communities? I would think so considering where their schools are built up. But then others say they prefer reaearch and some say they prefer high mcats and GPAs instead of a combination of all of them.

Is It true that Sinai and Columbia heavily favor applicants who worked with underserved communities? I would think so considering where their schools are built up. But then others say they prefer reaearch and some say they prefer high mcats and GPAs instead of a combination of all of them.
All schools favor this type of service

Reactions: 1 user