3.6 cGpa 3.58 Sgpa Taking MCAT in May. Whats my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hawk12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm currently a junior majoring in biology and i was curious to see what my chances were with a 3.6 cgpa and a 3.58 sgpa. On my past MCAT practice exams i am scoring around 28 to 30 every time although i am still studying for the course up until my exam date. I am also a college athlete at a NAIA school and have volunterred in various community events. However i will start shadowing this summer due to the fact that during the school year baseball and class takes up the majority of my time. Is it bad that i started shadowing so late and does playing a college sport help in anyway? If you can just give me your thoughts on what i should do in order to make my application stronger!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This should probably be posted in the Chances sub-forum.

All of your stats seem to be a bit above the average applicant and a bit below the average matriculant. If you score between 30-33 on the MCAt you would be in a better position and should aim to bring up that GPA by even half a point. College Athlete definitely helps, that's a huge time commitment and show's determination, drive, ability to function on a team, etc. Buy the MSAR and take a look at what schools fit your stats the best!

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh alright i did not see that sub-forum, i am new to this haha but i will transfer it to chances sub-forum. thanks for your response!

Hi Everyone,

I'm currently a junior majoring in biology and i was curious to see what my chances were with a 3.6 cgpa and a 3.58 sgpa. On my past MCAT practice exams i am scoring around 28 to 30 every time although i am still studying for the course up until my exam date. I am also a college athlete at a NAIA school and have volunterred in various community events. However i will start shadowing this summer due to the fact that during the school year baseball and class takes up the majority of my time. Is it bad that i started shadowing so late and does playing a college sport help in anyway? If you can just give me your thoughts on what i should do in order to make my application stronger!

Thanks!
You haven't mentioned having some active clinical experience where you interact with sick and injured folks. The average applicant gets a volunteer position to get this experience and lists 150 hours over 1.5 academic years. Some do it through employment or patient-based research. Shadowing, a passive activity, is desirable on top of that so your application will appeal to the widest variety of schools. Last minute clinical experience is not OK. Last minute shadowing is fine, but needs to be acquired before applying.

Research, leadership, and teaching are other activities that benefit a med school application.

Some adcomms will view intercollegiate sports as evidence of altruism, dedication, and teamwork. Others won't get it at all, so a positive impact can't be predicted.

Of All Applicants applying to MD schools with a 3.6/28 about 42% got an acceptance. For those with a 3.6/30 odds rose to 56%. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...with-your-cgpa-and-mcat.888650/#post-12107997

Your low BCPM GPA probably decreases your chance, unless you have a steep upward grade trend. Weak ECs would be another negative indicator. For improved odds, wait to apply until your numbers are higher.

Last edited:
had both b's in biology my freshmen year.since sophomore year I've had a's in anatomy and physiology, microbiology, physics 1, botany, evolution, gen chem 1 and 2 b in anatomy and physiology 2 and c in zoology is that and upward trend or not?

past 3 semester GPA's 3.47, 3.73, 4.00

had both b's in biology my freshmen year.since sophomore year I've had a's in anatomy and physiology, microbiology, physics 1, botany, evolution, gen chem 1 and 2 b in anatomy and physiology 2 and c in zoology is that and upward trend or not?
Not if the C in Zoology was among the last science classes you've taken. Perhaps you didn't list them in chronological order?
past 3 semester GPA's 3.47, 3.73, 4.00
That's an upward grade trend, assuming they are listed least recent to most recent!

No i didn't haha the c in zoology was the fall of my sophomore year so it falls under the 3.47 then spring soph. 3.73 fall junior 4.00 and spring I'm looking at 4.00 this semester depending on maybe a b in physics 2 or genetics. I'm taking an survey of organic chem to prepare for the mcat because I'm taking orgo my senior year however only 2-3 passages of orgo are on the MCAT itself. is oceanography considered a science class because I'm taking that this semester as an elective.

oceanography as in calculated in the BCPM

Get that MCAT > 30 and you should be OK for the low-tier schools. Don't forget your state school (if any) and all the new MD programs as well. You're fine for any DO program as well, so far.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks!