3.6 cGPA, 3.64 sGPA, 513 MCAT, URM School List MD and DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Boola Boy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Despite the downward trend, I'd guess you still have a really good chance at mid tiers. What are your total volunteering hours and clinical hours? You might want to beef those up as much as possible in the coming months.

Reactions: 1 user
Take out the DO schools. With your stats and ivy league background, top MD programs will be fighting for you. Your MCAT is in the 97% percentile for accepted AA students (503 was mean with an SD of 5). Apply to your MD state schools and any privates you prefer (including top 20s). PM if you have any questions.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Bruh, get rid of the DO schools and apply to your state schools and any private MD school you want, and make sure to include at least 10 top 20 schools. You will get IIs out the nose.

Reactions: 3 users
I agree with the general sentiment of this thread. I was even going to ask why you had the DO schools in there. Is it because you think your app is not good enough for MD? Because I definitely think it is.

Last edited:
Just to gauge the importance of one factor in this application, @mydogmolly & @Orthopedics101 , how different should this school list look (aside from HBCU's) if OP was not URM? I have similar stats (mostly worried about my few volunteering hours :( ) and am not URM.

Just to gauge the importance of one factor in this application, @mydogmolly & @Orthopedics101 , how different should this school list look (aside from HBCU's) if OP was not URM? I have similar stats (mostly worried about my few volunteering hours :( ) and am not URM.

That I am not sure and I don't want to give you false information. I suggest you make your own WAMC thread and have the actual experts assist you.

Reactions: 5 users
OP spend the next several
Months beefing up your ECs. And then continue them through the interview cycle. It will give you something to talk
about and you can send updates. You’ve done a good job.

Reactions: 2 users
I have pretty similar stats, also URM, also went to Ivy undergrad, and am originally from the south. However, I have opposite geographic wishes – I want to stay in the northeast or go to a big city elsewhere (LA/Chicago) and avoid going back to the south. If I were you, I would target research-oriented schools that have opportunities to get involved with disadvantaged populations (e.g. Mount Sinai has their EHHOP program), and I would avoid adding schools that love service-oriented applicants (e.g. Rosalind Franklin - their incoming students each have >1000 volunteer hours or something). During applications/interviews, pretend to be super passionate about research to get your foot in the door since that's likely going to be your most meaningful EC since you don't have many volunteer hours to backup your desire for public service/primary care.

I would also try to tie in healthcare consulting in making your list - perhaps target schools that emphasize health policy in their mission (e.g. Columbia) and pretend to be passionate about that? Fake it till you make it homie! I know a student at Emory who got in by pretending to love service and research, but his plan the whole time was to forego residency and take his MD straight to the biopharm industry lol.

Stat-wise, Meharry looks like safety while Hofstra & Rochester are not safeties.

Note that I am not solely using MSAR but am also using data that my undergrad publishes on admitted students, which occasionally varies from MSAR data.

My school list:

Dream:
Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons
Mount Sinai
Weill Cornell
New York University
University of California, Los Angeles
University of Chicago

Reach:
Emory University
Northwestern University
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
University of Pennsylvania
Rush Medical College
Yale University
Johns Hopkins University

Match:
Tufts University
Thomas Jefferson University
University of Southern California - Keck School of Medicine
George Washington University
University of Florida College of Medicine
University of South Florida – Morsani College of Medicine
University of Miami - Miller School of Medicine
University of Central Florida

Safety:
Nova Southeastern University
Florida International University
Tulane University

Total: 24

Last edited:
Hey everyone! Thanks for the feedback! Just posting again to get more opinions!

I am an African-American male. My MCAT is 513, my sGPA and cGPA are 3.6. I think my ECs are keeping me from being a strong applicant.

I only have about 40 hours of clinical volunteering in hospice and long-term care facilities right now, and less than 15 hours of non-clinical volunteering. During undergrad, I was in a fraternity, and I worked part-time all for years. Between grades and working, my volunteer experiences were sparse and took a back seat. It is what it is.

Aside from volunteering, my relevant experiences are healthcare consulting for six months after graduating from college, and now I am working in a basic science research lab. I have been here for little over six months. No publications, abstracts, or formal presentations.

I am not passionate about the research, and I do not want research to be a part of my career. That being said, I needed a job, and my network was in the sciences, so I took what I could get. I am more interested in a clinical career working with the mentally ill, homeless, and incarcerated populations.

I do not have much sustained volunteer experience with underserved populations. Roughly 15 hours spread out across several years. I will begin volunteering with a church group that visits inmates in local prisons this weekend, and I plan to continue this volunteering throughout the application cycle. I'm actually really excited about it! I am currently volunteering at the hospice and long-term care facilities that I mentioned earlier.

As for my strengths...well, I went to an ivy league for undergraduate, I am URM, and I am currently doing research. I also have some public health experience from a study abroad program and from taking a graduate level public health course as an undergraduate.

I am not interested in doing an MD/MPH, but I am interested in managing the health of populations, improving access and quality of community mental health services, and in caring for incaracerated/homeless patients. I very much see medicine as a "social justice" endeavor. Improving care for populations is a motivator for me, and I am open to getting an MPH in the future if I need one, but it doesn't sound like I will...

Anyways, here is my school list. Any feedback would be appreciated.

I am not interested in prestige, but I have also heard from people that certain medical schools will reject an applicant that appears "too good" for them on paper. The problem is that I don't feel "too good" for any school!

Reach
Yale
Harvard
Pitt
Vanderbilt
NYU

Fit
Tulane (top choice)
Emory
MCG
Mercer
Morehouse
Case Western (could be switched for some other schools that I'm over looking)
Albert Einstein (could be switched for some other school I am overlooking)
Meharry
VCU
NSU

"Safety"

Albany
MCW
Hofstra
Rochester
Western Michigan - Stryker
Oakland Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin

Again, prestige does not matter to me, but people keep telling me that I am a good applicant, and that I would be auto-rejected from certain schools because of my pedigree and high MCAT score. I would be happiest cutting out the 2-3 schools, but it seems like most people think I am a good applicant for these schools?

I could add more schools, but I would have to borrow money from my parents. My current list of "favorites" on the MSAR is at 39 schools, and that just seems a tad ridiculous.

I'd prefer to stay in the south, so that I am close to my family. I'd rather live in a city or near a city so that I can meet young professionals outside of class.

I am open to living in the Midwest because I lived there for work for half a year, and I enjoyed the culture (and BBQ!) Should I add St. Louis, WUSTL, and Creighton? I actually think I'd love a school like Rush or Creighton, but I don't meet their service requirements, so it seems pointless.

Not too keen on the northeast. High COL, and I just don't really feel compelled to be up there for four years again. However, when I see Albany's median accepted MCAT and GPA...it feels like it'd be foolish to not apply, ya know?

I would prefer a school that does not have a research thesis requirement, but again, beggars can't be choosers. For example, if Emory was the only school that took me, I'd suck it up and do the research.

I want to be picky, but I really can't be too picky...everyone says it's a crapshoot. Should I just apply to 30+ schools and hope for the best? For applicants with a profile like mine, what was their school list like?

From,
Boola Boy

You'd be a shoe in for Mount Sinai!.

@Happymadness thanks for your advice. Although I am not passionate about the research I am currently doing, I do appreciate the value of research. I could see myself doing clinical research because I want to interact with patients.

Or maybe some research that is specific to anti-psychotics or anti-depressants. There is some research out there that I find interesting, but I'd primarily like to work with human patients. Yale is on the list for that reason, and NYU too; Dr. Benjamin Kelmendi at Yale has an MDMA study going and Dr. Jeffrey Guss at NYU is studying psilocybin as an add-on to psychotherapy. I find research like that pretty interesting.

I tried to include links to their faculty pages, but I don't have enough posts...if you're interested, you can search their names and institutions on google!

Thanks for the excellent suggestion regarding Mount Sinai's EHHOP, that looks awesome. I also agree with the suggestion to target health-policy oriented schools -- would you happen to know of any others? From what I have read, it seems like one can get involved with health policy at ANY school, but to find a school whose mission is to produce health policy leaders, well that just seems like that seems like Top 20 territory. What are you thoughts? I suppose there's George Washington University, too.

Also, would you recommend that I take out Meharry/Morehouse? They stress commitment to the underserved, and I just don't feel like I have the hours to back it up. I am reluctant to take out Morehouse though because I am a GA native.

Good luck to you this application cycle! Thanks for your suggestions!

@H20_Jay yup, Mount Sinai is on the list now! For sure!

New List

Cool Research
JHU
Yale
NYU

Health Policy Opportunities
George Washington
Columbia
Emory

"Safety"
NYMC
MCW
VTech Carilion
NSU
Albany

City-Living/GA Schools/Fit
MCG
Mercer
Mount Sinai (EHHOP)
Tulane
Pritzker
WUSTL
ST. Louis
Northwestern
Vanderbilt
VCU (?)
Wake Forest (?)
Albert Einstein
Tufts
UPenn
Pitt
Cornell
Boston University
Baylor
Harvard

I removed Morehouse and Meharry because I don't have the community service towards underserved patients that they're looking for. I also removed Stryker/Hofstra/Rochester because their medians are a bit higher than mine, and I'm not particularly set on those places anyway. Added some more cities because I want to live in a city.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
@Happymadness thanks for your advice. Although I am not passionate about the research I am currently doing, I do appreciate the value of research. I could see myself doing clinical research because I want to interact with patients.

Or maybe some research that is specific to anti-psychotics or anti-depressants. There is some research out there that I find interesting, but I'd primarily like to work with human patients. Yale is on the list for that reason, and NYU too; Dr. Benjamin Kelmendi at Yale has an MDMA study going and Dr. Jeffrey Guss at NYU is studying psilocybin as an add-on to psychotherapy. I find research like that pretty interesting.

I tried to include links to their faculty pages, but I don't have enough posts...if you're interested, you can search their names and institutions on google!

Thanks for the excellent suggestion regarding Mount Sinai's EHHOP, that looks awesome. I also agree with the suggestion to target health-policy oriented schools -- would you happen to know of any others? From what I have read, it seems like one can get involved with health policy at ANY school, but to find a school whose mission is to produce health policy leaders, well that just seems like that seems like Top 20 territory. What are you thoughts? I suppose there's George Washington University, too.

Also, would you recommend that I take out Meharry/Morehouse? They stress commitment to the underserved, and I just don't feel like I have the hours to back it up. I am reluctant to take out Morehouse though because I am a GA native.

Good luck to you this application cycle! Thanks for your suggestions!

@H20_Jay yup, Mount Sinai is on the list now! For sure!

New List

Cool Research
JHU
Yale
NYU

Health Policy Opportunities
George Washington
Columbia
Emory

"Safety"
NYMC
MCW
VTech Carilion
NSU
Albany

City-Living/GA Schools/Fit
MCG
Mercer
Mount Sinai (EHHOP)
Tulane
Pritzker
WUSTL
ST. Louis
Northwestern
Vanderbilt
VCU (?)
Wake Forest (?)
Albert Einstein
Tufts
UPenn
Pitt
Cornell
Boston University
Baylor
Harvard

I removed Morehouse and Meharry because I don't have the community service towards underserved patients that they're looking for. I also removed Stryker/Hofstra/Rochester because their medians are a bit higher than mine, and I'm not particularly set on those places anyway. Added some more cities because I want to live in a city.

Thanks everyone!

If you're interested in health policy, consider applying to Mayo Clinic SOM, as you'd probably really like our Science of Health Care Delivery curriculum (more info here, but basically it's integrated throughout all 4 years of med school and is very public health and health policy oriented - M.D. Program - Science of Health Care Delivery). I have a few classmates who are very into health policy and have done some really cool stuff during selective weeks (selectives are a unique aspect of the curriculum at Mayo where you get protected weeks off to pursue your interests and the school also provides funding for up to 3 trips per year). There is a health policy selective where Mayo med students work with health policy leaders on a project and get to go to DC

@thenucleusaccumbens Thanks for this suggestion, I'll definitely apply. Also, love your username!
@H20_Jay @thenucleusaccumbens @Happymadness

Any other suggestions for schools with a policy-focus, or a research focus with opportunities to serve disadvantaged populations in an urban setting? Here’s my current school list:

1. Tulane University School of Medicine
  2. Mayo Clinic School of Medicine
  3. Emory University School of Medicine
  4. Albany Medical College
  5. Wake Forest School of Medicine of Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center
  6. Nova Southeastern University Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Allopathic Medicine
  7. University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine
  8. Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons
  9. Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine
  10. California University of Science and Medicine-School of Medicine
  11. Saint Louis University School of Medicine
  12. George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences
  13. Medical College of Georgia at Augusta University
  14. Seton Hall - Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine
  15. Mercer University School of Medicine
  16. Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
  17. Yale School of Medicine
  18. Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
  19. California Northstate

I included the new MD schools to be safe. Mostly applying to urban locations. Any glaringly obvious schools where I don’t fit? Or schools where I would fit that I am missing?

Hopkins literally matches everything you are looking for. Send them an app as well.

Good luck with your app cycle!

@H20_Jay @thenucleusaccumbens @Happymadness

Any other suggestions for schools with a policy-focus, or a research focus with opportunities to serve disadvantaged populations in an urban setting? Here’s my current school list:

1. Tulane University School of Medicine
  2. Mayo Clinic School of Medicine
  3. Emory University School of Medicine
  4. Albany Medical College
  5. Wake Forest School of Medicine of Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center
  6. Nova Southeastern University Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Allopathic Medicine
  7. University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine
  8. Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons
  9. Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine
  10. California University of Science and Medicine-School of Medicine
  11. Saint Louis University School of Medicine
  12. George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences
  13. Medical College of Georgia at Augusta University
  14. Seton Hall - Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine
  15. Mercer University School of Medicine
  16. Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
  17. Yale School of Medicine
  18. Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
  19. California Northstate

I included the new MD schools to be safe. Mostly applying to urban locations. Any glaringly obvious schools where I don’t fit? Or schools where I would fit that I am missing?

Looks good to me! Good luck!

@H20_Jay @bigbite @Dr. Meliodas Thanjs! Gonna add BU and JHU. I am skeptical of how much love I’ll get from OOS Public Schools like Ohio State, Wayne State, SUNY Downstate, and Mayland.

Dunno if I’ll add the NY privates. Getting up to 30 schools...might as well throw the PA privates at that point. God, this is really frustrating!

I like the concept of research, reading the papers and discussing the results/critiquing the methods. I’m just not too interested in basic science research. more interested in clinical studies on drug efficacy for psychiatric conditions. Also interested in sleep medicine research. JHU has both! Gonna add NYU too.

Edit: got ideas for the oos schools from this thread: Urban Underserved - Homeless etc...

Last edited:
More posting this for myself. Changed my list up to include schools that match my stats with more. I am still shooting for an urban location, but I am also trying to be wise in where I apply. I doubt my school list will change much from here.

MCG, Emory, Morehouse, Mercer
5) Tulane
6) Mayo - Arizona campus
7) Wake
8) Yale
9) BU
10) Albany
11) NYMC
12) MCW
13) Einstein
14) SUNY Downstate
15) Miami
16) NSU
17) Wayne State
18) Maryland
19) Ohio State
20) Meharry
21) Vanderbilt
22) GW
23) Katz
24) SLU

Considering VTech Carilion, VCU, and EVMS. Can anyone comment on how urban these environments really are? VTech in particularly seems like more of a small-town vibe. Same with Norfolk. Richmond seems like a fun city, though.

Switch out Maryland for JHU. Maryland is a state school for a state you are not a resident of.

Good luck next cycle!

Final School List

MCG
Emory
Morehouse
Mercer
Mayo - AZ
Tulane
Yale
Seton Hall MD
CalMed
Nova
Miami
Katz
NYMC
Albany
St. Louis
Wayne State
Wake Forest
VTech Carilion
VCU
Meharry
Netter
Albert Einstein

Keeping the reaches to a minimum. Leh go.

I think you are still aiming to low. Other schools with higher diversity missions: Case, Drexel, GW, Drew/UCLA. All those I'd put on my list if I were you. Stats wise you'd also be competative for the Geffen Scholarship at UCLA!!

It would be good to hear from some of the adcoms as well

@Goro @Faha @LizzyM

Last edited:
Take out the DO schools. With your stats and ivy league background, top MD programs will be fighting for you. Your MCAT is in the 97% percentile for accepted AA students (503 was mean with an SD of 5). Apply to your MD state schools and any privates you prefer (including top 20s). PM if you have any questions.
I agree. Start list with WashU and radiate outwards. Include the HBCs. Don't forget UCLA/Drew.

Reactions: 1 users
@Goro @Dr. Meliodas @Faha @LizzyM

Okay, I'll bite. Swap out NSU, CalMed, and Seton Hall for Northwestern, UChicago, and UCLA/Drew? Swap out NYMC, Albany, and Netter for Hopkins, NYU, WashU?

It's just crazy how using my actual stats to craft a list is apparently aiming low. I've not done anything particularly amazing. Why would a Top 20 pick me? Just because I'm black and I'm better on paper than most black applicants? Just seems...cocky.

Edit: I suppose I could always add the "lower tier" MD schools later on in the application cycle.

Don't wanna be one of those people applying to almost 30 schools and then struggling to write decent secondaries, ya know?

@Goro @Dr. Meliodas @Faha @LizzyM

Okay, I'll bite. Swap out NSU, CalMed, and Seton Hall for Northwestern, UChicago, and UCLA/Drew?

It's just crazy how using my actual stats to craft a list is apparently aiming low. I've not done anything particularly amazing. Why would a Top 20 pick me? Just because I'm black and I'm better on paper than most black applicants? Just seems...cocky.
There is an acute need in our country for African-American Doctors. Medical outcomes are riding on this.

Cue The Wailing and gnashing of teeth from the hyperacheivers

If I were you I'd apply to about 25 schools:

• 12ish Target Schools
    • Drexel
    • Temple
    • Jefferson
    • GW
    • Georgetown
    • Temple
    • Wake
    • Drew/UCLA
    • Tulane
    • Emory
    • Miami
    • Tufts
  • 10 Higher Ranked Schools
  • Case
  • UCLA
  • Duke
  • Icahn
  • Mayo
  • Yale
  • Columbia
  • JHU
  • Cornell
  • Keck USC
Also include all your state schools and the HBC and your list is good.

If you don't like some of the schools on the list switch them out for those you do or remove them entirely if your worried about applying to too many. I applied to 27 this cycle and didn't feel overwhelmed.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
If I were you I'd apply to about 25 schools:

• 12ish Target Schools
    • Drexel
    • Temple
    • Jefferson
    • GW
    • Georgetown
    • Temple
    • Wake
    • Drew/UCLA
    • Tulane
    • Emory
    • Miami
    • Tufts
  • 10 Higher Ranked Schools
  • Case
  • UCLA
  • Duke
  • Icahn
  • Mayo
  • Yale
  • Columbia
  • JHU
  • Cornell
  • Keck USC
Also include all your state schools and the HBC and your list is good.

If you don't like some of the schools on the list switch them out for those you do or remove them entirely if your worried about applying to too many. I applied to 27 this cycle and didn't feel overwhelmed.
Thanks for breaking it down like this. I just wrote up a list like you and changed what I felt was more fitting with where I want to go geographically.

Happy to help bro!

Definitely let us know here how your cycle goes. I'll be rooting for ya :)

@H20_Jay

Target
  • Drexel
  • Tufts
  • George Washington
  • Tulane
  • Miami
  • St. Louis
  • Drew/UCLA
  • Katz
  • Wayne State
  • Jefferson
  • VCU
  • Wake Forest
Reach
  • Baylor
  • Mayo - AZ
  • Vanderbilt
  • Yale
  • Johns Hopkins
  • Northwestern
  • Pritzker
  • Case
  • NYU
  • WashU
HBCUs (am I missing any besides Morehouse, Meharry, and Howard? I thought there were four)
State Schools

I think you can narrow down your target schools a little/ add more competitive programs.

Nah I think he is fine. Better to be safe than sorry. The list is good. Best of luck.

Okay, just wanted to update this thread for posterity.

First, a huge thanks again to everyone that posted in this thread. especially people that suggested schools where I thought I would not be a good fit.

I received interview invites to 19 schools, and I have attended 11 so far. I have four acceptances at schools where I am a good fit in terms of stats, mission, and location. I have been waitlisted at one school so far.

I am attending the 12th interview only because it is a T20, and who knows what finaid package I could get from them. Also, I don’t mind taking a few days off from work...

Conclusions:

• The hive mind of SDN helped me.
  • Apply early, apply wisely, apply BROADLY
  • Don’t listen to well-meaning friends and family who only look at US News Rankings and get info from people who aren’t currently in the admissions world.
  • Save money b/c this process is flipping expensive
  • Allow your loved ones to speak their minds, and even agree with them at times so that you don’t rock the boat. But at the end of the day, your choices are yours alone. Don’t let uninformed people convince you to make unwise application decisions
  • Have some hobbies for the lulls of the application process. There’s quite some time from primary to secondary, secondary to interview invite, then interview invite to acceptance (or waitlist/rejection)
  • you only need one acceptance
  • Interviews are not that hard, do not come in with rehearsed answers. the hardest question will be “why medicine”, answer that as if you were talking to a grandparent or aunt/uncle, best advice I ever got
  • MMIs > traditional interviews
  • Save $$$, seriously, I moved in with my parents to save money on rent/food, and I am still broke

Reactions: 6 users
Congrats!! Your killin the game, keep it up :):)

Bruh, get rid of the DO schools and apply to your state schools and any private MD school you want, and make sure to include at least 10 top 20 schools. You will get IIs out the nose.

URM here with 3.6/519 (AA male); did not get IIs out the nose, and none yet at top 20s.

URM here with 3.6/519 (AA male); did not get IIs out the nose, and none yet at top 20s.

Lol, I read your other thread. Just to give you some reassurance. I'm a reapplicant AA male, non-trad (3.8 513 MCAT and I had a 4 top 20 interviews Harvard included. All of them, however, came in December. My advice is be patient. The OP interviewed at Yale and Vandy and Mayo so clearly there's truth to the advice given in this thread.

If you dont get the interviews you want, it might have been your PS, LOR's, or EC's because your numbers make you more than qualifed.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are scaring me bro
I got three interview invites, all either midtier schools or state schools. I applied to a half-dozen top 20s, and got one rejection. I've heard nothing from the rest. Complete at all schools by Labor Day.