3.6 cGPA, 3.7 pre-req GPA, 4.0 MPH GPA, 26 (8/9/9) MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrianK0220

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
3.5 cGPA (bio major)
3.2 sGPA
3.7 pre-req GPA
4.0 MPH GPA

26 MCAT (8 ps, 9 verbal, 9 bio)

two years malaria research technician
two summers in mozambique and south africa building health clinic

leadership at church, drums at church, etc. all through college

~50 hours shadowing MD/DO's.

3 months math and science tutor at children's hospital

Strong letters of recommendation
If you are already submitted, you are fine for DO...If you have not, submit ASAP, but your chances are diminished that late in the cycle...

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone ever suggest retaking and applying MD next cycle? If I had your statistics, that's something I may consider

Anyone ever suggest retaking and applying MD next cycle? If I had your statistics, that's something I may consider

The only thing is that sGPA is a bit low. He should get DO no doubt though.

I submitted on September 1st, but my application is still not verified. Are applications verified in the order they are submitted or in the order they are completed (supporting documents received, etc.)?

When I felt it was taking too long..I sent a couple of messages on AACOMAS asking them about it..no response. Then I called them and asked for the status..they just responded your application is processing. Then 2 hours later it was verified. So maybe call their attention to your app!

I submitted on September 1st, but my application is still not verified. Are applications verified in the order they are submitted or in the order they are completed (supporting documents received, etc.)?

Once you submit and they receive your transcripts they will start the verification process.

The only thing is that sGPA is a bit low. He should get DO no doubt though.

But a 4.0 MPH would likely cover that a bit

I think you guys missed the part where OP has a 26 MCAT.

But a 4.0 MPH would likely cover that a bit
No, an MPH is a soft degree. It won't help his cause. What I find troublesome is a 3.2 when prerequisites were 3.7. What happened there? Was it that when he went upper division that he got poor grades? That would be a point of concern that even a retake on the MCAT wouldn't likely make it something to overlook.

Once you submit and they receive your transcripts they will start the verification process.
I think you guys missed the part where OP has a 26 MCAT.

Well he did stipulate Retaking but yeah the 26 would only get averaged at most MDs. The OP will do fine DO though.

A soft degree? I guess if you go to a local school and get it there, maybe, but having a graduate degree is far better than an undergraduate applicant without one. I also did not miss that the applicant has a 26, which is why I previously said he should retake and reconsider allopathic schools

A soft degree? I guess if you go to a local school and get it there, maybe, but having a graduate degree is far better than an undergraduate applicant without one. I also did not miss that the applicant has a 26, which is why I previously said he should retake and reconsider allopathic schools
Soft as in "Soft Science" vs "Hard Science."

Thanks for the input everybody. Unfortunately the 26 is my retake. I will not be taking the MCAT again. I'll be 26 when I start so I'm ready to get going. I want to do internal medicine and don't really care about the difference between DO/MD.
Once you get verified/released, some schools will send you secondary...You should submit them ASAP...Your chances at DO is good. You should not even spend money at MD IMO unless you are an URM

you're an excellent candidate @ any D.O. w/e you do, don't retake unless you're averaging much higher then the score you want.