Apr 6, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
My undergraduate degree is from UC Berkeley, with a major in electrical engineering and computer science.

I have about average to good volunteering experience, and average research experience (no publications, just working in a CS professor's lab).

Other things worth noting:
1. My GPA trend looks like a V basically. I had one semester of 1.7 or so in there due to depression, but didn't ask for a withdrawal (because when you are depressed, you kinda just dont give a ****). My other semesters are mostly 3.8+ to have a 3.6 cumulative.
2. I struggled with personal health related problems when I was a teenager, but I'm not sure if that's enough of a "hook" or "story" to get into med school.
3. I majored in something that's relatively unrelated because I didn't know what I wanted to do.

Basically, I would really like to know if I have a reasonable chance to get into: 1. a U.S. MD program; 2. a California MD program.

Thank you very much in advance.

bravofleet4

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2009
Status
Medical Student
of course, you have a very good chance of getting into an M.D. school just apply broadly. whether or not your story will be a hook just depends on how well you convey its bearing on your decision to enter into medicine. the important part is to be as sincere as possible though because your motivations for entering medicine will be questioned.

CaliGirl14

No worries.
Removed
7+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2009
TBH, California schools are crap shoots. However, I do know they like extensive ECs. Perhaps you can get that going? Other than that, I'm sure you could manage to get into a US MD school with some clinical volunteering at hand. Nice MCAT btw.

LuciusVorenus

Bad Medicine
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2009
Status
Medical Student
If you can explain the 1.7 in your PS you should be fine. I think you have a good chance at a US school. California, it's hard to say. What exactly are your ECs?

Apr 3, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
of course you have a chance, you have a 39 mcat and 3.9 bcpm gpa. you're in good shape. a lot of people are jealous of your stats. those are great stats.
good luck

Apr 6, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
If you can explain the 1.7 in your PS you should be fine. I think you have a good chance at a US school. California, it's hard to say. What exactly are your ECs?
I've volunteered for 4 years at an after school reading program for primary school kids in urban schools. I became a site coordinator in my junior year.

I've also volunteered at the San Francisco AIDS Foundation HIV Prevention Program (needle exchange) since junior year.

I have worked in a CS professor's lab since junior year, doing undergraduate research in natural language processing.

I also have some internship and part time work experience in computer science. I'm currently shadowing a physician.

So yeah, nothing exceptional.

LuciusVorenus

Bad Medicine
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I've volunteered for 4 years at an after school reading program for primary school kids in urban schools. I became a site coordinator in my junior year.

I've also volunteered at the San Francisco AIDS Foundation HIV Prevention Program (needle exchange) since junior year.

I have worked in a CS professor's lab since junior year, doing undergraduate research in natural language processing.

I also have some internship and part time work experience in computer science. I'm currently shadowing a physician.

So yeah, nothing exceptional.
Actually, your volunteering experiences have a nice trend which shows your commitment to the under-served as opposed to just being all over the place, so that'll definitely help you out. You have a really good chance at a US Allo and a good chance at some of the UCs that center on rural populations too (UCD, UCI, or even UCLA). It might be tougher to get into a school like UCSD, UCSF, or Stanford though just because they focus so much on research (and a lot of kids who are admitted there have pubs, years of research, etc).

LuciusVorenus

Bad Medicine
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2009
Status
Medical Student
By the way, the most important thing you can do is when you're explaining your 1.7 is to talk about how you learned something from it that will prevent it from happening. That way they won't have to worry about your med school years looking like a V.

drizzt3117

chick magnet
10+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
We're almost stat twins (I had marginally higher c and s gpa but we have essentially the same stats)

for ca, I got interviews at every school in ca (applied to all but llu) went to some (no sd, USC, or uci) and got into all but sf.

Nationwide, I got interviews at most places in the top 25 and into a decent chunk of them.

For the record, the vast premeds applying to md only programs don't have pubs. It's not a prereq to get into a top 10 school.

I think you'll be pretty competitive.