3.6 cGPA and sGPA, 41 MCAT, MSTP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leavinggroupie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Jesus christ! On SDN we have a skewed population of applicants so we see a lot of 38's, 39's and even 40's aren't too rare. But a 41 is crazy.

I have no insight on your situation though since your GPA and MCAT have a bit of discrepancy. With the upward trend, I feel like you should be good for any school.

Apply anywhere you want for MD and MD/PhD. A 3.6 GPA/sGPA (with a strong upward trend too) is slightly below the 3.7 average but by no means a red flag. A 41 and strong research will take you very far. Your school list is fine, but I recommend deleting WVU and Florida (you're not a resident of either). Keep U Washington only if you are applying MD/PhD there (MD admissions are very harsh towards OOS applicants). Delete Tufts (tuition is unnecessarily too high, and BU is a better fit). Consider adding Hofstra and Miami.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Apply wherever you want, just be sure to have your state schools/some mid tiers. Extremely strong application.

You're obviously set but you can probably fine tune this list just a little bit.

Remove all these lower tier OOS schools(a 41 has a good chance of being perceived as low yield by them for these schools). You can scratch, Tufts, Temple, and WVU doing this. Ditch Washington(you aren't from one of the WWAMI). There's no real need for Florida or Indiana either unless something really attracts you to these schools. Might as well apply to all three of the Ohio "backup" programs in Toledo, NECOM and Wright State or at least pick the one that has the lowest tuition or track record of giving the most merit money.

Doing all this I count 8 medium tier schools with 34-35 MCAT medians(including 3 IS), your backup state program and 12 of the big name reaches. I think you'll do just fine with that. I second what Goro said to add the CA schools. Might be worthwhile to throw Baylor, Mayo, Hofstra, and the Manhattan Titans an app as well. You're probably more likely to want to attend one of these than Indiana, or Temple or WVU anyway.

As for MD/PhD your GPA is around 0.2 below the median MD/PhD matriculant and the competition is alot more fierce but you look to be in pretty steady hands there as well for a variety of programs.

You're obviously set but you can probably fine tune this list just a little bit.

Remove all these lower tier OOS schools(a 41 has a good chance of being perceived as low yield by them for these schools). You can scratch, Tufts, Temple, and WVU doing this. Ditch Washington(you aren't from one of the WWAMI). There's no real need for Florida or Indiana either unless something really attracts you to these schools. Might as well apply to all three of the Ohio "backup" programs in Toledo, NECOM and Wright State or at least pick the one that has the lowest tuition or track record of giving the most merit money.

Doing all this I count 8 medium tier schools with 34-35 MCAT medians(including 3 IS), your backup state program and 12 of the big name reaches. I think you'll do just fine with that. I second what Goro said to add the CA schools. Might be worthwhile to throw Baylor, Mayo, Hofstra, and the Manhattan Titans an app as well. You're probably more likely to want to attend one of these than Indiana, or Temple or WVU anyway.

As for MD/PhD your GPA is around 0.2 below the median MD/PhD matriculant and the competition is alot more fierce but you look to be in pretty steady hands there as well for a variety of programs.

He's applying MSTP, so merit aid isn't a factor. U. Washington does take OOS MD-PhD students.

OP, 3 first-author pubs and a 41 makes you a crazy rockstar for MSTP. See those top 15 schools on the US News list? Coincidentally, that's your list too. Add your OH schools if you want to stay near home. See you at your Duke interview.

Sigh. He's applying MSTP, so merit aid isn't a factor. U. Washington does take OOS MD-PhD students. Please don't give this kind of advice if you aren't confident you know what you're talking about.

OP, 3 first-author pubs and a 41 makes you a crazy rockstar for MSTP. See those top 15 schools on the US News list? Coincidentally, that's your list too. Add your OH schools if you want to stay near home. See you at Duke.

I was talking MD only. I pretty clearly made a separate sentence referring MD/PhD in the last sentence.

The "backup" programs for the OP which is really where that comment came from, ie lower tier options of Ohio like Toledo, aren't MSTP funded.

I was talking MD only. I pretty clearly made a separate sentence referring MD/PhD in the last sentence.

The "backup" programs for the OP which is really where that comment came from, ie lower tier options of Ohio like Toledo, aren't MSTP funded.
I didn't think there was a clear MD designation for your main paragraph, but I softened my post when I read it more carefully. Thus the edit prior to yours.
Still, as a strong applicant, the OP shouldn't bother applying MD unless that's what (s)he actually wants.