MD & DO 3.6 cGPC/3.4 sGPA w/ 30 MCAT - Chances? Schools? Please?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mirus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

First, thanks for reading.

My current stats:
3.6 cGPC
3.4 sGPA
30 MCAT (10/10/10)

Work/EC:
PR manager for an on campus, LGBTQ/Women's rights organization - 1 yr
General chemistry lab teaching assistant - 4 mo
Assistant for a budget analyst at a veterans affairs medical center - 4 m0
Volunteer receptionist at VA medical center - 40 hrs
Student worker for a local medical school - 2 yrs
Medical conferences/symposiums attended - many
Christian leadership center - 1 yr
EMT - 80 hrs
Collegiate Cross Country Athl - 2 yrs

Assuming I keep these stats, what schools should I apply to next year and what are my chances?
Louisiana resident but would rather not stay here for medical school.

Please and thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey,

First, thanks for reading.

I come from a tier 1 liberal arts college down south and I'm majoring in biochem.
My current stats:
3.6 cGPC
3.4 sGPA
30 MCAT (10/10/10)

Work/EC:
PR manager for an on campus, LGBTQ/Women's rights organization - 1 yr
General chemistry lab teaching assistant - 4 mo
Assistant for a budget analyst at a veterans affairs medical center - 4 m0
Volunteer receptionist at VA medical center - 40 hrs
Student worker for the Dean's area/CME dept at a local medical school - 2 yrs
Medical conferences/symposiums attended - many
Christian leadership center - 1 yr
EMT - 80 hrs
Collegiate Cross Country Athl - 2 yrs

Assuming I keep these stats, what schools should I apply to next year and what are my chances?
Louisiana resident but would rather not stay here for medical school.

Please and thank you!
Where's your list?

Reactions: 1 user
Where's your list?

That's what I'm trying to get from this thread. I've gone through many sources but stats from schools' websites and those from the MSARS, etc are different.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely apply to the 3 Louisiana schools since that is where your odds of an acceptance are greatest. For out of state concentrate on private schools such as Creighton, St. Louis, Loyola, Rosalind Franklin, Western Michigan, Oakland Beaumont, Quinnipiac, New York Medical, Albany, Drexel, Temple, Jefferson, GW, Georgetown. Most OOS public schools would accept few OOS applicants with a MCAT of 30.

Also all the newest MD schools, MCW, Wake Forest, and throw in some DO schools. Wm Carey, ACOM, and AT Still aren't that far away.

Definitely apply to the 3 Louisiana schools since that is where your odds of an acceptance are greatest. For out of state concentrate on private schools such as Creighton, St. Louis, Loyola, Rosalind Franklin, Western Michigan, Oakland Beaumont, Quinnipiac, New York Medical, Albany, Drexel, Temple, Jefferson, GW, Georgetown. Most OOS public schools would accept few OOS applicants with a MCAT of 30.

The LA medical schools won't accept my current MCAT scores; they want scores from the 2015 MCAT for the 2016 class :/
Do you know if schools on the list you posted require scores from the 2015 MCAT? I'm not sure if it's just my state schools that are doing that

The LA medical schools won't accept my current MCAT scores; they want scores from the 2015 MCAT for the 2016 class :/
Do you know if schools on the list you posted require scores from the 2015 MCAT? I'm not sure if it's just my state schools that are doing that
Almost every medical school I've looked at is taking the old MCAT for the 2016, 2017, and some even the 2018 class. If thats what your state medical schools are doing, I think its weird. Are you positive?

I am currently a senior graduating that switched from Pre-PT to Pre-Med. During my Sophmore year I incurred some really bad grades whic were a result of familial and the passing of a loved one. Amongst those bad grades I earned a F in Cal twice and a C in Gen Chem 1 on my second try as I was intent on having a reason to leave school and come home.A fter that I earned a couple more C's but re-took all classes and earned an A. Sorry for the long post, So here are my stats:
MCAT: 28
UGPA: 3.6 AACOMAS GPA.
SGPA: 3.51
URM: Black Male
Plan to apply to D.O Schools and HBCU's
Shadowing: 120 hours 30-Pathology,60- Family Medicine, 30-Physical Medicine and Rehab
Extracurriculars: Academic tutor 3 years, Student Assistant 2years, Impact Peer Mentor 2 years, Muscle Dystrophy Association counselor 2 years, Habitat for Humanity builder 2 years
*** Did 20 Post-bacc hours at 4.0.

I am currently a senior graduating that switched from Pre-PT to Pre-Med. During my Sophmore year I incurred some really bad grades whic were a result of familial and the passing of a loved one. Amongst those bad grades I earned a F in Cal twice and a C in Gen Chem 1 on my second try as I was intent on having a reason to leave school and come home.A fter that I earned a couple more C's but re-took all classes and earned an A. Sorry for the long post, So here are my stats:
MCAT: 28
UGPA: 3.6 AACOMAS GPA.
SGPA: 3.51
URM: Black Male
Plan to apply to D.O Schools and HBCU's
Shadowing: 120 hours 30-Pathology,60- Family Medicine, 30-Physical Medicine and Rehab
Extracurriculars: Academic tutor 3 years, Student Assistant 2years, Impact Peer Mentor 2 years, Muscle Dystrophy Association counselor 2 years, Habitat for Humanity builder 2 years
*** Did 20 Post-bacc hours at 4.0.
It would be better if you start another thread. Otherwise, advice for you may be confused with comments meant for OP!

Almost every medical school I've looked at is taking the old MCAT for the 2016, 2017, and some even the 2018 class. If thats what your state medical schools are doing, I think its weird. Are you positive?

"An Important MCAT Change for students matriculating in July 2016.

In 2015, the content and the scoring of the MCAT will change. Applicants planning to begin medical school in July 2016 will need to take the new MCAT. Only scores from the new test will be used to select the class matriculating in July 2016 and later."

http://www.lsuhscshreveport.edu/Admissions/Requirements.aspx

Well that sucks...

Tough to say. With your current stats and ECs your best shot by far would be with LA schools.

I'd seriously consider retaking.

If you really don't want to retake I'd take a few science classes to boost your sGPA and go with Faha's list plus Toledo, Vermont, VCU, EVMS, and Tulane.