3.6 gpa 30 mcat, upward trend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My stats are a 3.6 cgpa, 3.4-3.5 sgpa
mcat 1- 9. 8, 8=25
mcat 2- 12, 8, 10=30
NY Resident

I have 300 hours of physical therapy volunteer work. Il have about 1 and a half years of research by the time I apply with 2 publication, maybe 3. I plan on accumulating over 100 hours of physician shadowing starting soon. I did Mixed martial arts for about 2 years and competed in Naga (don't know if this is relevant but I'm stating it just in case). I can speak English (obviously), Russian, and very little Italian. I am a Psychology major graduate who graduated both honors in department (had to write a thesis and it was neuroscience based), and Latin honors. I have presented in my schools undergraduate conference for research.

So these are my stats. The reason my gpa is low or what it is now is because my first two years I wasn't premed and didn't care about school. After my first two years I have a 2.7 cgpa and probably a much lower sgpa. After 4 years of a severe upward trend, a couple of 3.85's and 3.9's, (1) 3.5, and the majority were 4.0's, this is including summers and winters, I brought my gpa to what it is. I had 2 d's (1 in college algebra and trig, 1 in an intro bio course but not gen bio) which I retook, got A's and took higher level courses and got A's also. Once my upward trend started I retook the certain bad grades I had and got A's, and I took higher level courses to prove my good grades weren't a fluke and got A's in classes such as analytical and geometric calculus, Cell Biology, Both Organic chems, etc. My med school pre reqs are mostly A's as mentioned, I only got a C+ in gen chem 1 during my first 2 years and retook it after and got an A and in physics 2 I got a B but didn't retake it.

I would retake the mcat but just cant see myself doing better in verbal as the second time I studied every day and literally my verbal grade did not move from my first mcat. My question is do I have a chance at an allopathic school with my stats as they are now? any input is greatly appreciated.

thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Looking at the GPA-MCAT you probably have at least a 1/3 chance of a MD acceptance. The key is to apply early in June and submit all your secondaries by July. Also apply to schools where your stats could be considered for an interview. These would include all 4 SUNY schools, Quinnipiac, Albany, Hofstra, New York Medical College, Commonwealth (PA), Drexel, Temple, Jefferson, Penn State, GW, Oakland Beaumont, Western Michigan, Loyola, Rosalind Franklin, St. Louis, Creighton. There may be 2 or 3 new MD schools opening up in 2016. Also consider applying to DO schools such as the 2 in NY, LECOM, PCOM and a few others in areas of the country where you would like to live. I would not recommend retaking the MCAT since you do not want to risk receiving a score less than 30 on a retake.

Reactions: 1 user
Looking at the GPA-MCAT you probably have at least a 1/3 chance of a MD acceptance. The key is to apply early in June and submit all your secondaries by July. Also apply to schools where your stats could be considered for an interview. These would include all 4 SUNY schools, Quinnipiac, Albany, Hofstra, New York Medical College, Commonwealth (PA), Drexel, Temple, Jefferson, Penn State, GW, Oakland Beaumont, Western Michigan, Loyola, Rosalind Franklin, St. Louis, Creighton. There may be 2 or 3 new MD schools opening up in 2016. Also consider applying to DO schools such as the 2 in NY, LECOM, PCOM and a few others in areas of the country where you would like to live. I would not recommend retaking the MCAT since you do not want to risk receiving a score less than 30 on a retake.

Thanks for the response. I don't really care where I live during. I'm kind of just set on going to an allopathic school, I don't really care what state though.