MD 3.6 GPA, 523 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

glassesvar

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.6 cum gpa, 3.5 sgpa
Do I have a chance of getting in anywhere with these stats? ORM in-state for FL

ECs:
50 hours shadowing
600 hours research experience w/ no pubs or posters (1.5 years)
150 hours clinical volunteering (1.5 years)
0 hours nonclinical volunteering
1 very meaningful leadership experience (3 years)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You have a little over 4 months until applications get sent in. Get some non-clinical volunteering (Id recommend 100 + hours) over the next 4 months to show you have both commitment and altruistic behavior. It will make your application much more competitive.

FWIW I have 3.55/515 and tried to look for schools that were maybe more lenient with GPA than MCAT and I had this list that you could look into:
Stryker- Western Michigan University
Creighton University
Quinnipiac University
Geisinger Commonwealth
Medical College of Wisconsin- Milwaukee
University of Kansas
Emory University
Geisel Dartmouth
Virginia Commonwealth
Tufts University
University of Toledo
Drexel University
Georgetown
George Washington University
Rosalind Franklin University
Albany Medical College
Temple University
University of Cincinnati
Stanford University
Virginia Tech
Eastern Virginia
University of Vermont
Wake Forest

Reactions: 2 users
FWIW I have 3.55/515 and tried to look for schools that were maybe more lenient with GPA than MCAT and I had this list that you could look into:

Geisinger Commonwealth
University of Kansas
University of Cincinnati
Stanford University
Virginia Tech
These are donations; they take few OOSers or OP's GPA is well below Stanford's 10th %ile for GPAs. Ditto U Cincy for OOS. A high MCAT score does not remediate a mediocre GPA or app.

I suggest taking a gap year; the ECs are cookie cutter...in fact, they are of someone who wants to be a doctor as long as it is convenient.

Agree chances will be best with all the Fl schools.

These are donations; they take few OOSers or OP's GPA is well below Stanford's 10th %ile for GPAs. Ditto U Cincy for OOS. A high MCAT score does not remediate a mediocre GPA or app.

I suggest taking a gap year; the ECs are cookie cutter...in fact, they are of someone who wants to be a doctor as long as it is convenient.

Agree chances will be best with all the Fl schools.

I'm leaning towards a gap year.. but what areas of my application would you say need the most strengthening?

GPA is pretty much set, I might get bumped to a 3.7c and 3.6s if grade trend continues which I anticipate.

You mentioned ECs are cookie cutter.. how do I stand out? I know I need to get nonclinical volunteering but how many hours do you recommend? what other ECs?

Also... would you say I have a decent shot at in-state if I apply this cycle?

I'm leaning towards a gap year.. but what areas of my application would you say need the most strengthening?

GPA is pretty much set, I might get bumped to a 3.7c and 3.6s if grade trend continues which I anticipate.

You mentioned ECs are cookie cutter.. how do I stand out? I know I need to get nonclinical volunteering but how many hours do you recommend? what other ECs?

Also... would you say I have a decent shot at in-state if I apply this cycle?
Chances best in FL.

Service need not be "unique". If you can alleviate suffering in your community through service to the poor, homeless, illiterate, fatherless, etc, you are meeting an otherwise unmet need and learning more about the lives of the people (or types of people) who will someday be your patients. Check out your local houses of worship for volunteer opportunities. The key thing is service to others less fortunate than you. And get off campus and out of your comfort zone!

Examples include: Habitat for Humanity, Ronald McDonald House, Humane Society, crisis hotlines, soup kitchen, food pantry, homeless or women’s shelter, after-school tutoring for students or coaching a sport in a poor school district, teaching ESL to adults at a community center, Big Brothers/Big Sisters, or Meals on Wheels.