3.61 cGPA 3.59 sGPA 34 MCAT

wonton90

Apr 18, 2012
    I have standard EC with 2 years of clinical research. I am CA resident. I used SDN spreadsheet to get recommended schools (LizzyM method) and came up with list below. I chose these schools based on "best chances". Thought process for choosing these schools was to reduce amount of essays, $$$ and also to improve my chances. so the question is - Am I right or should I apply to higher schools and remove some from list below?

U of Cincinnati
    U of Iowa
    St. Louis U
    SUNY Downstate
    Wake Forest
    Penn State
    U of Wisconsin
    Rosalind Franklin
    U of Maryland
    Wayne State
    U of Missouri Columbia
    Creighton
    Albany
    SUNY Upstate
    OHSU
    Jefferson
    MC Wisconsin
    U of Hawaii
    Loyola
    U of Nevada
    U at Buffalo
    U of Toledo
    Temple
    U of S. Dakota
    W. Virginia
    GWU
    Rush
    U of Illinois
    U of Louisville
    Tulane
    NYMC
    USUHS
    Michigan State
    U of N. Dakota
    U of S. Carolina
    U of Utah
    Marshall

P.S: I am leaving CA schools out because everyone on SDN feedback says its too difficult with similar numbers.

Please help

Last edited:

Mazdave

Feb 1, 2011
    1. Medical Student
      I have standard EC with 2 years of clinical research. I am CA resident. I used SDN spreadsheet to get recommended schools (LizzyM method) and came up with list below. I chose these schools based on "best chances". Thought process for choosing these schools was to reduce amount of essays, $$$ and also to improve my chances. so the question is - Am I right or should I apply to higher schools and remove some from list below?

U of Cincinnati
      U of Iowa
      St. Louis U
      SUNY Downstate
      Wake Forest
      Penn State
      U of Wisconsin
      Rosalind Franklin
      U of Maryland
      Wayne State
      U of Missouri Columbia

Creighton
      Albany
      SUNY Upstate
      OHSU
      Jefferson
      MC Wisconsin
      U of Hawaii
      Loyola
      U of Nevada
      U at Buffalo
      U of Toledo
      Temple
      U of S. Dakota
      W. Virginia
      GWU
      Rush
      U of Illinois
      U of Louisville
      Tulane
      NYMC
      USUHS
      Michigan State
      U of N. Dakota
      U of S. Carolina

U of Utah
      Marshall

P.S: I am leaving CA schools out because everyone on SDN feedback says its too difficult with similar numbers.

Please help

Actually as a CA resident it would be silly to not even apply to what are technically your state schools (at least Davis and Irvine) even if they're not as easy as someone else's state school.

A lot of the schools on your list have a heavy in-state bias (the ones I bolded) and I would reconsider applying to them. I also wouldn't apply to USUHS unless you specifically want to do military medicine.

wonton90

Apr 18, 2012

Thanks for taking time to look at my list. I also talked to few of myfriends and they gave me similar advice. I will add CA schools UCI and UCD andremove some from list above. I will post my final list this weekend.

I still have two questions:

1) I am heavily relying on LizzyM spreadsheet to select schools andfiltering out anything above 72. Is this right thing to do? Or should I applyto schools like Dartmouth, Brown, etc..

2) Given my stats above ( I feel I am at or below borderline and should applyto bottom tier of schools), Thinking of applying to 40+ schools. Is thiscorrect move?

About the Ads

wonton90

Apr 18, 2012

Thanks for taking time to look at my list. I also talked to few of myfriends and they gave me similar advice. I will add CA schools UCI and UCD andremove some from list above. I will post my final list this weekend.

1) I am heavily relying on LizzyM spreadsheet to select schools andfiltering out anything above 72. Is this right thing to do? Or should I applyto schools like Dartmouth, Brown, etc..

2) Given my stats above ( I feel I am at or below borderline and should applyto bottom tier of schools), Thinking of applying to 40+ schools. Is thiscorrect move?

Mazdave

Feb 1, 2011
          1. Medical Student

1) I am heavily relying on LizzyM spreadsheet to select schools andfiltering out anything above 72. Is this right thing to do? Or should I apply to schools like Dartmouth, Brown, etc..

Probably. Depending on exactly how beefy your research experience is, combined with your really good MCAT, you might get a bite from a school like Case, but I wouldn't apply to too many reaches. Someone like Cat would be much better able to answer this.

40+ is probably excessive.

If you want more comments on your overall chances, it might be helpful to comment on your overall grade trend. Cat usually likes to see this anyway if she stops by.

wonton90

Apr 18, 2012

I have been doing clinical research and now I am working part time at localbiotech company while I go to school. I am in my last quarter and applying formed school this summer. My company offered me a full time job after mygraduation. I am planning to take this job and volunteer or shadow doctor inpart time (To get more hands on experience). I had some hospital volunteering experiencewhile I was in high school, if it counts.

Below is my gpa by year. I have been on DL Last year (Just one A-).

FY cGPA 3.63 sGPA 3.55
              SY cGPA 3.30 sGPA 3.29
              JR cGPA 3.56 sGPA 3.60
              SR cGPA 3.97 sGPA 3.96

I just bought online MSAR, hope to get my list finalized this weekend. Again, my big worry is ... I am applying to onlyschools with LizzyM score below 72. not knowing if I have a shot at higher schools. Please advise;

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
              Verified Expert
              15+ Year Member
              Sep 4, 2006
              The Other Side of the Portal
              1. Attending Physician
                There's nothing wrong with including some dream schools, so long as your ECs fit their mission.

Check the OOS price tag for UIllinois and MSU in your MSAR.

High school experiences are generally not included in the Experiences section. When they are, adcomms probably won't pay much attention to them, expecting you to have more recent pertinent activities in that category. They can be mentioned in the PS instead, as part of the journey to medicine, unless they are extraordinary or are continued into the college years.

wonton90

Apr 18, 2012
                  Thanks for taking time to read my situation and responding very quickly. I will include my dream school as well (Mt. Sinai, my sibling goes there)…J

It’s unfortunate that I did not realize this before, I was planning to volunteer at underserved community clinic and shadowing in local hospital after this quarter (after the application process), Now I am wondering how can I communicate this through application? or will this make a “huge” difference?

Or alternatively, should I just start volunteering next week (which will give me 2 weeks – about 40 hrs.) prior to app?

wonton90

Apr 18, 2012
                    Oh, one more question - do schools know how many schools you are applying to? Will this make any difference in their decision making?

Someone told me that they know and they think more schools you apply to - less uncertain you are about yourself,

or they will just drop you thinking other schools will offer you a spot and you will reject them afterwards - thus reducing their acceptance rate...is any truth to this?

flodhi1

Membership Revoked
                    Removed
                    Jan 31, 2011
                    1. Medical Student
                      Oh, one more question - do schools know how many schools you are applying to? Will this make any difference in their decision making?

Someone told me that they know and they think more schools you apply to - less uncertain you are about yourself,

or they will just drop you thinking other schools will offer you a spot and you will reject them afterwards - thus reducing their acceptance rate...is any truth to this?

Schools do not know.

rogerthis

7+ Year Member
                      Jul 26, 2011
                      1. Resident [Any Field]
                        With those stats, I seriously would not rule out the UCs because you may be pleasantly surprised. I had similar numbers and I got an interview invite from UCLA so please don't hold back because of what your LizzyM score is.

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
                        Verified Expert
                        15+ Year Member
                        Sep 4, 2006
                        The Other Side of the Portal
                        1. Attending Physician
                          1) It’s unfortunate that I did not realize this before, I was planning to volunteer at underserved community clinic and shadowing in local hospital after this quarter (after the application process), Now I am wondering how can I communicate this through application? or will this make a “huge” difference?

2) Or alternatively, should I just start volunteering next week (which will give me 2 weeks – about 40 hrs.) prior to app?
                          1) The application does not allow one to enter a future date.

2) I think it's important that you start your plans as soon as possible, continue with them though the application season, and send in update letters where permitted about ongoing pertinent activities that will help convince adcomms you know what you're getting into.

About the Ads
                          This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                          7. This thread is locked.