MD & DO 3.62 cGPA, 3.42 sGPA, 30 MCAT Where should I go?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BuffPremed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I just graduated and I am currently taking a gap year to work full-time as a scribe in the ER as well as volunteer at a children's hospital. Currently I am going to take a gap year to work on my app so I won't be applying until next cycle (2015). Here are my stats:
  • 3.62 cGPA, 3.42 sGPA. This is due to getting a D in gen bio from freshman year (retake and got a B due to working full time), C+ in genetics and C in gen chem from sophomore year. Those were due to personal reasons in mental health as well as home issues. I got my act together and made a 4.0 for the last 4 semesters, where 3/4 of my hours were upper-level science courses (Calc II, 2 graduate courses in biology and chemistry, and other bio, chem, psych, English, and psych classes that were required for my major and minor [Biochemistry - Neuroscience]).
  • 500+ hours of research in the pharmacy department (medicine-related) junior and senior year. No publications :(
  • Honors award for outstanding academic achievement (National Society for Collegiate Scholars, which I did nothing in so I payed $90 for pretty much nothing?)
  • Hopefully, by next May, I'll have a great amount of clinical volunteering (200+ hours)
  • Great LORs
  • 100 hours of volunteering at an animal shelter (so I guess it's non-clinical)
  • Was an RA for a whole year (during sophomore year which screwed up my genetics and chem grades)
  • Several other leadership roles that lasted only 1 semester or 1 year long.
  • MS resident from living in MS undergrad
  • 30 on the MCAT. I decided to take fewer hours (32 hrs/week. I do 8 hours shifts, so only 4 shifts/week) so I can study for the new MCAT coming up in 2015. Right now I don't have the funds to register for any of the current MCAT until next year (long story) so I'm just going to suck it up and be a guinea pig.
Current list of schools that I have down.
  • UMC (love the overall program)
  • UTHSC (grew up in TN; hopefully that will be considered a factor when applying here)
  • ETSU
  • TN School of Medicine in Knoxville (GPA is under average but my MCAT is average)
  • Meharry
  • Vanderbilt (if I decide to go for an SMP program and get a 4.0)
  • Johns Hopkins (ultra reach school - parents are making me since it was my dream school during senior year--I know my chances are almost none just by screening standards)
Will consider DOs if I can't afford the SMP program. However, I have hesitations on going to William Carey due to 20 students failing the boards?

All help appreciated from med students to adcoms alike!

Members don't see this ad.

You have a very good chance at your state school. Last year there were only 391 IS applicants. 144 of them matriculated for a whopping 37% IS acceptance rate! The median MCAT was 28. Your gpa is fine and even your science gpa is above the 10th% (3.22). The only other schools that can offer anything close to those odds are the HBCU's (if you are African American or have a validated commitment to a lifetime of service to communities of color). You already know Hopkins is a donation so enough said.

You have a very good chance at your state school. Last year there were only 391 IS applicants. 144 of them matriculated for a whopping 37% IS acceptance rate! The median MCAT was 28. Your gpa is fine and even your science gpa is above the 10th% (3.22). The only other schools that can offer anything close to those odds are the HBCU's (if you are African American or have a validated commitment to a lifetime of service to communities of color). You already know Hopkins is a donation so enough said.
Thank you! So should I just not retake the MCAT? Because that saves me money and stress. I'm not African American and I have never even heard of HBCU.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! So should I just not retake the MCAT? Because that saves me money and stress. I'm not African American and I have never even heard of HBCU.
You should be able to get into medical school with your MCAT. You have already started putting together a good list (minus Hopkins, Vanderbilt and Meharry)
Historically Black Colleges and Universities.

You should be able to get into medical school with your MCAT. You have already started putting together a good list (minus Hopkins, Vanderbilt and Meharry)
Historically Black Colleges and Universities.
Oh okay. I heard that you want to apply to at least 10 medical schools? I really don't want to put all my money on 3 schools. Any others that you would recommend?

Did you buy the MSAR? I did, but it's not my career!
Never heard of the MSAR? I'm new here and my premed adviser boosts everyone's ego, even if they have no chance. So there was no harsh constructive criticism that some people needed (even me after sophomore year).

Never heard of the MSAR? I'm new here and my premed adviser boosts everyone's ego, even if they have no chance. So there was no harsh constructive criticism that some people needed (even me after sophomore year).
The MSAR is how every student identifies the schools where they have a chance at an interview. I used it to get into medical school in the 70's! If your advisor didn't tell you about this, I am at a loss to express my displeasure.

Reactions: 1 user
The MSAR is how every student identifies the schools where they have a chance at an interview. I used it to get into medical school in the 70's! If your advisor didn't tell you about this, I am at a loss to express my displeasure.
Well thank you for the info. I literally looked it up on google after reading your reply and found it on the AAMC website. Thank you

Reactions: 1 user