3.62 cGPA, 3.6 sGPA, MCAT Pending. Advice on Strong Application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PaperMonkey

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I'm a UC graduate, and I graduated this spring. I am planning to take the MCAT this January. My cGPA is 3.62 and my sGPA is 3.6, and I'd like advice on how to improve my application.

I've had a fairly mediocre GPA during my freshman and sophomore years, averaging at about a 3.2 GPA. By my Junior year onwards, my GPA steadily climbed, and I was at a 4.0 from the end of my Junior year to Senior Year, and maintained a 4.0 in Biochem and Upper Division Bio.

Aside from that, my EC's are as follows:

2.5 years of Clinical Research, all hands on experience with lots of direct patient contact, but no publication thus far.

2 Years Volunteer at a hospital, with lots of direct patient contact.

I have three LORs from the faculty at my University, one LOR from my research professor, and am planning to get my fifth LOR from the hospital I volunteer at.

I have shadowing experience with a pediatrician, neurologist, and an internal medicine doctor for 60 hours. I am looking to do more of this with them, and obtain LORs.

I'm currently looking for additional volunteer opportunities, which are non-medical related and community based. I'm planning to publish in the future, as well. Is there anything else that you guys can recommend? Tutoring, volunteering, etcetra? Aside from MCAT I'm trying to use this time to improve my EC's as much as possible. I'll be applying for the 2013 cycle.

Members don't see this ad.