3.62 cgpa 3.68 sgpa, 34Q MCAT what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aowisco47

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I have a 3.62 cgpa, and 3.68 sgpa, I also have a Biology/Philosophy double major from UW-Wisconsin and 34Q MCAT. (PS 12 / BS 12 / VR 10)

My EC's include
-Active in a fraternity for 1 year
-1 year Volunteering weekly with big brother big sister (1 hour/week)
-1 year Delivering flowers at Hospital (2 hours/week)
-Volunteer spring break trip to San Juan, TX
-1.5 years volunteering at a Hospice (3 hours/week)
-approx 30 hours shadowing an orthopedic surgeon

Hobbies
-Modeling: through Abercrombie and Fitch, just something I enjoyed doing outside of school
-Lifting Weights: I love exercising and keeping myself in great shape!

I also recently got a job at Epic systems (a medical records software developer that services 30 percent of patients nationwide). I start in August and plan to work for 1 year. During that year, I am required to travel to clinical sites at least 3 times, and have to opportunity to travel to hospitals as frequently as I would like, so i will be able to observe hospitals across the country.

I have no research experience :(

Right now my school list is:

Albert Einstein
Baylor
Boston U
Columbia
East Tenn State
Emory
Loma Linda
Northwestern
Medical College of Wisconsin
Temple
Tulane
University of Wisconsin

I'm wondering, is my list too top heavy!?!?
I'm considering adding a few more safety schools, any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

From the looks of it you have pretty solid stats. One of the mistakes I made when applying was putting too many top tier schools on my list. The truth is I knew I wasn't going to get in and the apps were expensive. I would suggest maybe adding some more backups. But overall you should be just fine.

Maybe a little top-heavy. I mean, do you think you will get in to Columbia? Honest question :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Some others in-line with your stats:
UCentral Florida, Ohio State, Iowa, UMinn,
Rochester, Miami, SUNY Downstate, UMaryland, Georgetown, UConn, Loyola, Stony Brook

Safer schools:
UKentucky, Rush, Tufts, Cincinnati, Jefferson, Keck, FIU (13%OOS), Virginia Tech (newer), Albany,
Toledo, Wake, Creighton (no CC credit for prereqs), Nebraska, LSU-NewOrleans, NYMC, Vermont, Hofstra (new)

Any leadership or teaching? Also, you might consider beefing up the shadowing, maybe adding a primary care doc (50 total hours being the average).

Including dream schools is fine, but being realistic, without research, leadership, or above-and-beyond service to the poor, top schools are likely to take a pass.

Hey guys, thanks for the posts! I realized that I forgot to include that I do have teaching experience. I TA'd an anatomy lab (about 6 hours a week) for one semester. I got credit for doing so, and one of my LOR's is from the lab director.

-And Columbia is definitely a reach! lol, but I wanted to include one really reachy reach for fun. That being said, I think I am gonna tack on a few more schools in my range.
thanks again

Hey guys, thanks for the posts! I realized that I forgot to include that I do have teaching experience. I TA'd an anatomy lab (about 6 hours a week) for one semester. I got credit for doing so, and one of my LOR's is from the lab director.

-And Columbia is definitely a reach! lol, but I wanted to include one really reachy reach for fun. That being said, I think I am gonna tack on a few more schools in my range.
thanks again

Right on, good luck, I'd say you have shot

1) you were active in a frat for only 1 year
2) you're telling people on student doctor forums that you model at abercrombie and that you enjoy lifting weights
3)you deliver flowers to people
4)you're worried about not getting into medical school wih clearly above avg stats