3.63 BCPM 3.05 CGPA MCAT Pending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

balston82

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've looked around the site and found a lot people with opposite stats, (decent cGPA and low sGPA) so I figured I'd get your advice. I'm a non-trad URM looking to plot out the best course to medical school. Should I concentrate on getting into a Post-Bacc or do you think a school might take a chance on me? I know that a lot rides on the MCAT but I've been scoring consistently in the 505-508 range on the practice exams.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I've looked around the site and found a lot people with opposite stats, (decent cGPA and low sGPA) so I figured I'd get your advice. I'm a non-trad URM looking to plot out the best course to medical school. Should I concentrate on getting into a Post-Bacc or do you think a school might take a chance on me? I know that a lot rides on the MCAT but I've been scoring consistently in the 505-508 range on the practice exams.
What type of urm are you ?

Members don't see this ad :)
African American male
A lot depends on your MCAT results. Your cgpa is almost too low, but a strong MCAT would open some doors. Hbcu should be on the top of your lists regardless.

Reactions: 1 user
A lot depends on your MCAT results. Your cgpa is almost too low, but a strong MCAT would open some doors. Hbcu should be on the top of your lists regardless.

Ok thanks. I will definitely give them a shot. Probably in my best interest to apply to a few Post-Bacc's as well. I was just wondering if getting accepted was remotely possible with such a low cGPA. Wish I could go back in time and give 18 yo me a good shake lol.

Ok thanks. I will definitely give them a shot. Probably in my best interest to apply to a few Post-Bacc's as well. I was just wondering if getting accepted was remotely possible with such a low cGPA. Wish I could go back in time and give 18 yo me a good shake lol.
Do you have an upward trend? If you can score a 30+ 509+ you are still in the running.

Given the decent BCPM gpa, I'm just curious as to what kind of message it would send to have a cGPA that low...

Given the decent BCPM gpa, I'm just curious as to what kind of message it would send to have a cGPA that low...
A bad one? Or lack of interest, immaturity?

Literally finished freshman year with a .7 GPA. Perfect 4.0 last two years. BCPM would be 3.8 if not for the F and D I received for the same math course from freshman year. :(

Literally finished freshman year with a .7 GPA. Perfect 4.0 last two years. BCPM would be 3.8 if not for the F and D I received for the same math course from freshman year. :(
This helps your case.

With that trend and URM status you are in good shape with a decent MCAT. Come back when you get score!

Thanks guys! I know nothing is guaranteed, but I'm feeling a lot better about my chances. I've tried to show that I'm no longer that knucklehead from over a decade ago. Hopefully I'll have that (accepted) under my name one day as well. Best of luck on your med school journeys!

That's a good thing (or at least, a less bad thing). I think Immaturity at the beginning looks better than a lack of interest in subjects that don't seem to contribute to your goals (which is what I previously thought) .

A bad one? Or lack of interest, immaturity?