3.63 cGPA, 3.5 sGPA, 30 MCAT Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Heplayer92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I attend the University of Michigan and am going into my senior year. I will also be taking a gap year, and will be applying NEXT cycle. Just wanted to improve my application as much as I can during this senior year.

Grades:
3.63 cGPA
3.5 sGPA

Upward trend. 3.3 cGPA freshman year, and then 3.7-4.0 sophomore/junior semesters. Hope to get to a 3.7 cGPA by the time I graduate.

MCAT
P/V/B:
11/8/11 = 30.
A little concerned about the 8 in VR. Was averaging 10.5 on AAMCs, not sure what happened. Also, seeking advice on a potential retake after finishing senior year?

Extracurriculars (all are current...)

1 publication, 3 in the works, and 1 primary author publication in the works. The plan is to have all 3 submitted before I graduate.
2000+ lab research hours. Started my senior year in high school at the same lab. Very very involved in research.
2 national conference trips presenting research (how much value does this hold??)

Residential staff => Honors Residential Advisor
200+ hours @ homeless shelter clinic (great great experience)
50+ hours @ hospital playing piano for families
50+ hours @ alternative/complementary medicine clinic
Started organization raising money for rural children in China to get an education.

LORs will be pretty solid as well. Also, a first-generation college student.

Thank you guys for your time and input =)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Don't know about U MI, but I suggest all other MI schools (inclduing MSUCOM), and all other low-tiers. You're fine for any DO program, including mine.

Hi all,

I attend the University of Michigan and am going into my senior year. I will also be taking a gap year.

Grades:
3.63 cGPA
3.5 sGPA

Upward trend. 3.3 cGPA freshman year, and then 3.7-4.0 sophomore/junior semesters. Hope to get to a 3.7 cGPA by the time I graduate.

MCAT
P/V/B:
11/8/11 = 30.
A little concerned about the 8 in VR. Was averaging 10.5 on AAMCs, not sure what happened. Also, seeking advice on a potential retake after finishing senior year?

Extracurriculars (all are current...)

1 publication, 3 in the works, and 1 primary author publication in the works. The plan is to have all 3 submitted before I graduate.
2000+ lab research hours. Started my senior year in high school at the same lab. Very very involved in research.
2 national conference trips presenting research (how much value does this hold??)

Residential staff => Honors Residential Advisor
200+ hours @ homeless shelter clinic (great great experience)
50+ hours @ hospital playing piano for families
50+ hours @ alternative/complementary medicine clinic
Started organization raising money for rural children in China to get an education.

LORs will be pretty solid as well.

Thank you guys for your time and input =)

Hi Goro,

Thanks for your feedback! I really appreciate it.

Just a few questions though. I know you're really experienced with the admissions process and such, but do you mostly give feedback based on test scores/grades? I am just curious.

I understand that test scores/grades get you through the door and are extremely important, but how much do you feel like the other factors weigh in (such as ECs)? I am also taking a gap year so I will be applying next cycle. Any suggestions on how to augment my application? Thanks again!!

Also, definitely welcome to any other feedback and open to any criticism. Also advice on a whether a retake would be good as well!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey OP,

I am going to be a freshman at UofM, biomedical engineering/pre-med. how easy is it to find research opportunities? Do you have any advice for me? Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks!

Hi Goro,

Thanks for your feedback! I really appreciate it.

Just a few questions though. I know you're really experienced with the admissions process and such, but do you mostly give feedback based on test scores/grades? I am just curious.

I understand that test scores/grades get you through the door and are extremely important, but how much do you feel like the other factors weigh in (such as ECs)? I am also taking a gap year so I will be applying next cycle. Any suggestions on how to augment my application? Thanks again!!

Also, definitely welcome to any other feedback and open to any criticism. Also advice on a whether a retake would be good as well!
Your stats get you through the first layer of screening. Your EC's/written application quality get you through the next level and, if invited, the interview gets you in.

You can get in with your current stats. It just requires strategy.

Hey OP,

I am going to be a freshman at UofM, biomedical engineering/pre-med. how easy is it to find research opportunities? Do you have any advice for me? Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks!

Hi DTrain.

Welcome to Michigan!! =D You will have a great time here. Check your inbox for further info!

Best,

Heplayer92

Your stats get you through the first layer of screening. Your EC's/written application quality get you through the next level and, if invited, the interview gets you in.

You can get in with your current stats. It just requires strategy.

Gyngyn, thank you very much for your feedback. If anyone else has any input or experiences to share, I would be very grateful.

One question I have is if it is worth to retake the MCAT? Got a 30 (11/8/11). Averaged about 32ish (30-34), and a 10.5 on verbal, so the 8 was quite surprising. Does the 8 look that bad?

Thanks again!!!!

Gyngyn, thank you very much for your feedback. If anyone else has any input or experiences to share, I would be very grateful.

One question I have is if it is worth to retake the MCAT? Got a 30 (11/8/11). Averaged about 32ish (30-34), and a 10.5 on verbal, so the 8 was quite surprising. Does the 8 look that bad?

Thanks again!!!!
I would apply with a 30. You just need to maximize your strategy.

Hi DTrain.

Welcome to Michigan!! =D You will have a great time here. Check your inbox for further info!

Best,

Heplayer92

Heplayer92,

I checked my inbox, but there's nothing there?

DTrain

I would apply with the 30. Your research is great and the rest of your ECs are pretty good. Continue volunteering at the hospital/clinic and get some shadowing hours in. You should be able to get in somewhere.

if you want MD youre probably gonna have to aim for low tier schools.

your GPA and MCAT will be below average for mid/top tier schools

so realistically your chances depend on where you want to go

youd also be a good candidate for DO schools