GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member
May 5, 2015
Status
Non-Student
If you don't have any clinical exposure(beyond shadowing) or volunteering experience it's pointless to apply this cycle. Sit out a cycle, boost the EC's then give it a strong go next cycle.

Last edited:
Reactions: werunthis

HSR

May 20, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I'm not sure with those EC's you have a chance at much (if any at all). The role of the EC is gaining experience and personal development - in a medical field, with a diverse population, leadership skills, communication skills, diversity, etc. They're important in showing character development, and with the short-term ones you do have don't show much at all beyond being able to go to school and do alright.

Reactions: PugsAndHugs

HSR

May 20, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I hope I'll have better luck with podiatry then lol
Tbh, I would just push back once cycle. Use the time between now - june to beef up you app. Volunteer at 2+ hospitals (theyre often 4 hrs/week). Shadow another physician, maybe longer term (DO for DO apps). Volunteer at some community service places, soup kitchen, etc.

You'll still have to justify why you did all this after college, but better than coming under-prepared.

Goodluck.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
You're not getting into med school with those ECs.

studentdocftw

M4
2+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2015
Status
Medical Student
What? If you aren't willing to wait one year to be competitive...I really question your desire to pursue medicine. Your ECs are awful...no need to beat around the bush. Please let us know if you have any success this cycle cause I would like to know where at.

Gandyy

5+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2014
Status
Medical Student
What? If you aren't willing to wait one year to be competitive...I really question your desire to pursue medicine. Your ECs are awful...no need to beat around the bush. Please let us know if you have any success this cycle cause I would like to know where at.
There is no way to sugar coat it honestly. This is the weakest set of EC's I've ever seen on these boards. I'm just being honest OP.

The bigger problem is how is OP going to come off as genuine in secondaries or interviews with just that much experience in service and healthcare?

ZedsDed

You know what really grinds my gears?
2+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2014
Status
Medical Student
I'll be too old by then. I'm going all out this cycle. Last resort would be podiatry.
I don't think you really want to be a physician (or a podiatrist) that much to begin with.

Reactions: Gandy741