MD & DO 3.63 cGPA, 3.56 sGPA, 503 MCAT, TX schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mandym00

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I was wondering what you think my chances are of getting into medical school this cycle. I have applied to all the public Texas medical schools.

• 3.63 cGPA and 3.56 sGPA
  • 503 MCAT - I got a 127 on Chem/Physical and Psych/Soc but 125 on Bio and 124 on CARS :(
  • I've held two different part-time jobs for the majority of my undergrad, including one that is healthcare related at an optometry office.
  • I have 50 hours of clinic volunteering at a medical clinic for the low-income and underserved populations but plan to get 150 more hours by end of the Spring 2017 semester.
  • I have ~25 shadowing hours
  • I have also been involved in a microbiology research lab for over the past year and have been a secondary author and presenting author of poster presentations presented at conferences. One of the posters actually won an award. It's a 50/50 chance I'll be able to get published by the time I graduate in Spring 207.
  • I have had two different "mock medical school interviews", one with a medical student currently attending UTSW and the other with my school's pre-health advisor. Both said I did very well and did not even have any criticism for me.
I have submitted my primary application and am working on my secondaries right now. My current plan is to retake my MCAT in January so that if I do need to reapply next year, I will already have an improved score. I didn't study as much or as hard as I could have and was completely rushed for the CARS section. I had to completely guess on 2 whole passages! I definitely feel that if I take it again I can improve my score, my goal is to get at least a 508.
So what do you guys think? Anything else I can do within the next year or two (if I don't get in :nailbiting:) to improve my application? I was thinking if I don't get in this cycle that in my gap year I would do a 1-year masters program, possibly the SMP at UNT.
Thanks for your advice in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

You need to increase your clinical volunteering hours and shadowing hours in case you need to reapply next year. An MCAT score of at least 508 would also help. You could receive some interviews this year but your lack of clinical exposure and MCAT score will hurt your chances for an acceptance.

Reactions: 1 user
You need to increase your clinical volunteering hours and shadowing hours in case you need to reapply next year. An MCAT score of at least 508 would also help. You could receive some interviews this year but your lack of clinical exposure and MCAT score will hurt your chances for an acceptance.
Yes I definitely plan to continue volunteering and shadow more doctors as well. Thank you for the advice!