3.63 overall 3.53 sgpa and 29Q MCAT + extra curriculars

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cali49ersfan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've never posted anything before but I'd like to thank everyone beforehand for their responses.

So I am a California resident and I really want to attend an MD school. My first two years, I had a 3.2 gpa both science and overall and I took my MCAT and received a ridiculously low MCAT of 21Q. Since that moment I tried to refocus and turn around everything. I finished my last two years of undergrad pretty strong with at least a 3.7 gpa each quarter and I retook my MCAT and received a 29Q the second time. I wish I did better thou.

My EC's include:

- Volunteering over 400 plus hrs (both in clinical setting and with under-served individuals such as the homeless since I was a freshman).
- Research as undergraduate with prostate cancer for 1 1/2 years.
- Employed as a research technician during my current year off.
- President of a pre-health club on campus (includes multiple leadership roles before this one). involved for 3 yrs
- Peer Mentor to incoming freshman for 1 yr
- Teaching Assistant for 1 quarter
- Pre-Medical Advising Workshop Leader for 1 yr
- Graduated with Honors in my Major.

Stats Again:

3.63 overall gpa, 3.53 sgpa and 29Q MCAT retake

Members don't see this ad.

I don't really know anything about Cali schools, but unless you are dead set on staying in California for med school I would say apply very broadly and strategically and you will probably get quite a few interviews. (Cali schools are very very difficult for average applicants to get into from what I hear)

your ECs look good (nothing spectacular), but do you have any community service? Also, do you have any hobbies or interests that make you stand out? Your application looks pretty cookie-cutter, and usually if you have average, or in your case slightly below-average stats, it would be good to have some more unique things on your app.

Again, if you apply broadly and to the right schools you should definitely get some chances. Also, did you check out the "27-29 MCAT" thread?

Good luck!