3.64 34P. What do you think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tcln

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks!
I'm curious about my chances this cycle (2nd time around), with the following stats. I'd also love input about my school list.

GPA: 3.64, MCAT: 34P, sGPA: 3.66 at an engineering school.

RI Native
ECs:
~150 hours of clinical volunteering,
~100 hours of volunteering at a variety of events ( blood drive, shelters, etc).
4 months of medical research

School list:
-Albany
-Boston U
-Brown
-Cornell
-Drexel
-Loyola
-NYMC
-Mount Sinai
-NYU
-Rosalind Franklin
-Thomas Jefferson
-Tufts
-U. Rochester
-UVM
I'm also considering applying to a few DOs schools.

What are my chances? Any recommended changes to the school list?

Members don't see this ad.

Take off any research heavy schools since you have almost no research experience. Schools like Cornell are going to be a big reach. Also, schools like Loyola and Rosalind Franklin strongly favor applicants with strong service experience. Your mcat is solid, your gpa is a little on the low side for a lot of schools on your list. It shouldn't keep you out of those schools though...your lack of ECs will

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. Well, thanks for the advice. Are there any schools you would recommend that I haven't included in the list?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd like to hear somebody's opinion on his clinical volunteering since mine is pretty much the same. Is it sufficient?

OP - I suggest you add some lower tier schools just for safety purposes. Your list has too many strong schools in my opinion.

Yeah, I'll be sure to do that.

Take off any research heavy schools since you have almost no research experience. Schools like Cornell are going to be a big reach. Also, schools like Loyola and Rosalind Franklin strongly favor applicants with strong service experience. Your mcat is solid, your gpa is a little on the low side for a lot of schools on your list. It shouldn't keep you out of those schools though...your lack of ECs will

4 months of medical research, wouldn't that be enough if he had been working full time and gotten publications? He didn't include that information, so I wouldn't assume anything more than he wrote, but just sayin'.

In my case (my stats are 35+/3.8+) I'm applying to some research schools and I only have two summers of research (~6 months) but they are with programs with full-time research, meaning 40-50+ hours per week. That's up to 1,200 hours in the lab, which is more than double someone that does say 3 hours a week in the lab over 3 years...

Of course the second likely has a higher chance of getting pubs, but that's not the point.

Above all, I think AdComs (as LizzyM said) look at publications more than actual time in the lab or how much you took away from them, sadly, as I think that's pretty backwards. I can count several people who did 3 hours of research a week for a year and got published along with their PI who just happened to be working on a relatively easy, publishable topic. Whereas I've seen people do heavy research for a year (part to full-time) on a difficult project that was unsuccessful and didn't get published until long after they left, leaving them with no accreditation.... kinda back-asswards