3.64 gpa, 33s mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

umt43

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what my chances are here.

33S MCAT (11PS, 11BS, 11VR)
3.64GPA Biochemistry Major
3.60 Science GPA

- 2 yrs post-BS in research at major US Hospital, including decent OR time.
- 1 Publication (2nd author) submitted, waiting to hear
- 1 Major national conference presentation
- Captain of Division I athletics team
- VP of school chapter of national athletic honors society
- Team representative to student athlete advisory committee
- 4 Years lifeguarding (CPR/AED/oxygen certified), including 2 ocean lifeguarding.
- Undergrad research (2yrs) ending in thesis, including internship at Caltech during junior-senior summer
- Eagle scout

Also, might as well kill two birds with one stone while I'm here - anyone have any advice on whether or not to include a specific job (volunteering 5hrs/wk at fitness center for mentally handicapped people), if I didn't exactly finish on great terms with them? Basically, I wasn't able to work as often as they'd like, and one day after I called in sick, which I had done twice throughout the year, they called and said they needed someone more reliable. Will they check these references, especially if I'd be putting the general email for the organization and not the email of my direct supervisor, seeing that I don't even have her direct email? Or is that a risk?

Any help would be great. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1) Just wondering what my chances are here.

33S MCAT (11PS, 11BS, 11VR)
3.64GPA Biochemistry Major
3.60 Science GPA

- 2 yrs post-BS in research at major US Hospital, including decent OR time.
- 1 Publication (2nd author) submitted, waiting to hear
- 1 Major national conference presentation
- Captain of Division I athletics team
- VP of school chapter of national athletic honors society
- Team representative to student athlete advisory committee
- Undergrad research (2yrs) ending in thesis, including internship at Caltech during junior-senior summer
- Eagle scout

2) Also, might as well kill two birds with one stone while I'm here - anyone have any advice on whether or not to include a specific job (volunteering 5hrs/wk at fitness center for mentally handicapped people), if I didn't exactly finish on great terms with them? Basically, I wasn't able to work as often as they'd like, and one day after I called in sick, which I had done twice throughout the year, they called and said they needed someone more reliable. Will they check these references, especially if I'd be putting the general email for the organization and not the email of my direct supervisor, seeing that I don't even have her direct email? Or is that a risk?
1) Chances for an applicant with 3.64/33 extrapolated from AAMC stats grids would be about 63%.

2) It depends on the total hours you gave to the organization, but since you don't mention other nonmedical community service, it would help your application to mention the volunteer time at the fitness center.

If a call/email is done to confirm the activity, they will not be asking for a reference, rather they'll want confirmation of start and end date, and possibly total hours. What't the worst they could say? Missing three days due to illness doesn't reflect negatively.

Comment: do you have any formal shadowing where the doc interacted with patients who weren't asleep?

1) Chances for an applicant with 3.64/33 extrapolated from AAMC stats grids would be about 63%.

I think for 3.60-3.79 GPA and 33-35 MCAT the percent acceptance for white people is 82.4%. I would guess that the white person grid has the lowest percentages of any grid so that makes for a conservative estimate if you don't fall into that category.

63% is the next GPA range down on the table.

The grid is here for your consideration

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks a lot. I was just worried that putting an experience down that didn't have the best of endings might possibly be a lot more of a negative than a positive.

And I've shadowed a gastroenterologist, but only once. Other than that the patient care experience has basically been limited to the OR, unfortunately.

And I've shadowed a gastroenterologist, but only once. Other than that the patient care experience has basically been limited to the OR, unfortunately.
There's still time to get in some primary care shadowing before you submit.

BTW, there are better odds apparent for all those in the stats bin that includes up to 3.79/35. I feel that the ~63% extrapolation I gave you is a more accurate reflection of your true chances since you are at the bottom of that stats bin.

I used the aggregate data grid that includes all applicants here: https://www.aamc.org/download/157450/data/table24-mcatgpagridall2008-10.pdf.pdf to arrive at my number.

There are separate grids for various ethnicities besides the "White Applicants" stats cited by BMEJake.