3.64 GPA, 37 MCAT, CA resident. How do my schools look?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wurdy5176

Dr. Jan Itor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright. So I am a first time applicant. I have a 3.64 GPA and a 37 MCAT, born and raised in California. I have a significant amount of international experiences (I studied in Argentina for a year and I now live in China as a teacher), though I don't think im that non-traditional because I am only taking 2 gap years.

I am a little nervous about having to do two application cycles (and spend all that extra money) if I don't apply to enough schools (which will also cost money). Believe it or not, a chinese salary is not great.

I have research experience, public health experience, tutoring, teaching, shadowing, etc. The major gap in my app is actually working for a hospital in a paid position (like scribing).

Here are my schools.

Baylor
Brown
Creighton
Duke
Loma Linda
Loyola
Northwestern
OHSU
Saint Louis U
Stanford
UCD
UCI
UCLA
UCSD
U North Carolina
University of Chicago
University of Illinois
USC
U Virginia
U washington
Vanderbilt
Wake forest
Rochester
Wash U

What do you think? What should I add? Remove?

Members don't see this ad.

Good list. Nothing wrong with aiming high. I would delete Brown because they like your own UGs. U WA favors WWAMI applicants, so delete as well. I have pulled some reaches because your GPA is, well, avg.

Creighton
Duke
Dartmouth
Hofstra
Loma Linda
Loyola
Saint Louis U
Stanford
UCD
UCI
UCLA
UCSD
USC
Vanderbilt
Wake Forest
Rochester
U AZ
Pitt
Einstein
BU
Tufts
Miami
MCW

Thanks Goro! I was wondering, what are my chances of getting in to at least somewhere? (I know thats a near impossible calculation) I am not concerned about prestige of school. I care more about quality of life while in medical school, and just getting the education. So thats all to say I don't really care about "aiming high", if you get my drift. Have you heard of schools where students are particularly happy (and still get the same good education)?

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you exactly mean by "The major gap in my app is actually working for a hospital in a paid position (like scribing)."? Do you have some kind of clinical experience besides shadowing?

What do you exactly mean by "The major gap in my app is actually working for a hospital in a paid position (like scribing)."? Do you have some kind of clinical experience besides shadowing?
No, sorry I will be more clear. I have shadowed multiple times in hospitals under various situations, but I am missing the scribe or CNA experience (hands on patient interaction) that I feel a lot of good applicants have.

No, sorry I will be more clear. I have shadowed multiple times in hospitals under various situations, but I am missing the scribe or CNA experience (hands on patient interaction) that I feel a lot of good applicants have.

I don't think that necessary "hands on patient interaction" nor a "paid clinical experience" is necessary. Shadowing is good, but do you have other clinical experience, such as volunteering? I think that's what nemo123 was referring to.

I don't think that necessary "hands on patient interaction" nor a "paid clinical experience" is necessary. Shadowing is good, but do you have other clinical experience, such as volunteering? I think that's what nemo123 was referring to.
Yeah, (as far as clinical goes) I volunteered at a children's hospital every week for a year. I did not do anything medical. I basically comforted patients and brought them food and that sort of stuff

Yeah, (as far as clinical goes) I volunteered at a children's hospital every week for a year. I did not do anything medical. I basically comforted patients and brought them food and that sort of stuff

Still counts as clinical volunteering =)