3.645 cGPA / 3.791 sGPA / 34 MCAT, chances at U. Colorado MSTP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

halcyonpage

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I need a bit of advice.

I'd really like to end up in Colorado, but since I'm out of state, I'm going to apply MD/PhD to increase my chances. I'm a decent MD candidate but a borderline MD/PhD candidate. However, U Colorado's MD/PhD stats are lower than (I think) most other MTSP programs: 3.74 GPA and 33 MCAT.

Do you think my research EC's can get me in? Imagine that my MD EC's like volunteering and clinical exposure are also decent.

-2 semesters in Animal Behavior lab, mostly bench work and rodent care; 1 semester for credit and 1 for work-study
-2 years at Bioinformatics start-up with 1 publication as first author in a book; learned some UNIX, Excel-based statistics, and how to use several relevant genomic alignment applications for this; also was able to teach/tutor newcomers some basic bioinformatics and specific techniques I used
-100+ hours volunteering in Surgical Pathology lab, where I did mostly hands-off observation of things like gross anatomy, staining, specimen excision, bone marrow biopsies, fine needle aspirations, and analysis done by a pathologist
-spent free time in the past year or so reading/self-studying Python, electronics, CAD, 3D-printing, biomimicry, and bioethics

Other than that, I've largely been doing patient care stuff.

PS. I was a Neuroscience major, but I am more leaning towards biomechanics and bioengineering (maybe preventative medicine, ooooh). I never did a thesis because I switched majors halfway through college and didn't have the time before graduation.

PPS. I am also considering MSTP programs in Texas and California, since I'd like to go there but the OOS status makes it tough. What do you think?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Do not apply md/phd because "it is easier to get in as a OOS."

It is (at least for CU) not true and is a much different path in medicine.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't get your heart set on any one program. Your application is reasonable for MD/PhD. You should apply to at least a dozen MD/PhD programs and hope for the best.

State of residence doesn't matter for MD/PhD programs.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It's my eventual goal to work in translational research, and I know I can do that with or without the PhD. If I can, I'd like to do research with just the MD in the interest of time. But I also know that the MD/PhD will give me a more serious, structured experience.

However, I've never been one to just focus on a single project, so I wonder if having just the MD will give me more flexible and broad research opportunities. I'm imagining this contrasts with the MDPhD's obligation to a single lab/project. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Perhaps it is simply that many of those who go into MSTP programs have that single-mindedness that makes them so successful.

Maybe consider some of what I call MD plus programs. These are programs where you can get extra research time focussed usually more in the clinical and translational side of things without doung the PhD. Also keep in mind there are usually opportunities for away research years in medical school.

Examples of the programs mentioned above would be Cleveland Clinic Lerner College if Medicine program, Pitt's PSTP or CSTP programs, and some others

Reactions: 1 users
State of residence doesn't matter for MD/PhD programs.

Neuronix, could you possibly expand on this/is it really true? I'd be overjoyed if it was considering there is maybe one top-tier program in my geographical area, and I've heard that state of residence matters a lot to MD-only applicants, but less so for MD-PhD, but I've never heard anyone go as far as you.

MSTP is a nationally funded program that to my knowledge forbids state of residence consideration for decisions. I can't find you a reference for that right now, so feel free to find it. Non-MSTP MD/PhD programs can take state of residence into account, but they frequently don't.

As a result, acceptance statistics are relatively homogeneous across programs. There is little state-to-state MSTP variability in matriculant GPA and MCAT. However, those stats are typically on the high side, similar to out of state or private MD stats for medical schools in that same tier.

Reactions: 1 users
Very revealing table. Thanks! Now if only there were a table with average scores for each program... I'm so curious.