Dec 19, 2013
East Lansing, Michigan
Status
Medical Student
I am a pre-med junior at Michigan State University and I will have a 3.65 GPA and approximately 3.4 science gpa (give or take .05 after next semester). I am preparing for the MCAT but I have done well on practice tests and am pretty good at doing well on standardized exams. What are my chances of getting into medical school? Are there any schools who focus more heavily on MCAT/experience than GPA or any suggestions for where I should apply?
Thank you!!

wiloghby

Perpetually interviewing
5+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2012
Status
Medical Student
I am a pre-med junior at Michigan State University and I will have a 3.65 GPA and approximately 3.4 science gpa (give or take .05 after next semester). I am preparing for the MCAT but I have done well on practice tests and am pretty good at doing well on standardized exams. What are my chances of getting into medical school? Are there any schools who focus more heavily on MCAT/experience than GPA or any suggestions for where I should apply?
Thank you!!
This belongs in the "What Are My Chances?" thread, for future reference.

It is impossible to chance you without an MCAT score, unfortunately. I will say that your cumulative and science GPAs are slightly lower than matriculant averages, but nothing that cannot be overcome with a good showing on the MCAT, excellent extracurriculars, or both. Come back with an MCAT score and your extracurricular involvements and there are lots of people who can give you good advice here.

Reactions: Megan801

Pacna

Dyslexics, untie!
Jun 2, 2013
MN
Status
Medical Student
Go green! :D

Also, with that GPA, and assuming you do well on the MCAT, you're not really limited where you apply. You'll be on the low end in some places, but I think you have a fair chance.

Also, everything the man above me said.

Reactions: Megan801

Syncrohnize

PGY-1
Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Most schools look carefully at both the MCAT and GPA but with that said, aiming for a couple points above the slightly competitive MCAT (30) would be very helpful to your application! You'll do well. Also a fellow Spartan! Message me if you have any other questions regarding your application!