1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

3.65 GPA, 3.61 science, 37 MCAT. Can I apply to "mid-tier" schools?

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by insecuredude, Jun 3, 2008.

1. insecuredude

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I am going to be a junior in September, but I am done with all the pre-reqs and am taking the MCAT on June 13th. I am just trying to get the freaking MCAT done and raise my GPA by taking relatively easy science courses.

I am consistently scoring ~37 on practice MCATs (usually around 12 Verbal 13 Bio 12 Physical), so I expect to score ~37 or higher. My current GPA is a little above 3.5, but raising it up to ~3.7 shouldn't be too hard because I am done with all the hard $hit.

Ethnicity: Asian-American (not URM)
    Student at a highly selective, competitive institution in the northeast
    State of residency: N/A because I lived outside of US most of my life. I plan on applying to as many private school as possible

EC's: my school's radio station DJ (hip-hop), sometimes I spin at frat parties, mentor of inner city high-school kids, special olympics volunteer, pre-calculus tutor for a high school student

Clinical/research experience: so far a semester of research experience at an othopedics lab. i haven't learned much because the PI and the people working for him often seem to busy to care about me, but I still go every week.
    Monthly shadowing of an orthopedic surgeon, who's the assistant director of admission at my university's med school, volunteering at ER.

Even though I won't be applying till Summer 2009, I have made a list of schools I will probably apply to.

Assuming that I end my junior with 3.65 overall, 3.61 science, 37 MCAT, I will apply to these schools

Dream schools
    USC
    Cleveland Clinic Lerner
    Case Western
    Georgetown

Definitely interested, but not as much as the four schools above
    Tufts
    U of Rochester
    UC Davis
    Loyola
    Rosalind Franklin
    Rush
    SUNY buffalo, upstate, downstate
    U of Cincinatti
    Jefferson
    Penn State
    Drexel
    Temple
    U of Utah
    albany medical
    new york medical college
    tulane
    george washington

I honestly want to apply to schools where people with 3.8+ & 36+ get into, but I figured a high MCAT score alone can't offset the not so competitive GPA. :(

What are some super selective schools that I have a shot at? Suggestions?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. MilkmanAl

MilkmanAl Al the Ass Mod
    Physician 7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Your GPA is perfectly competitive. Assuming that you score in the upper 30's on the MCAT (which is a gargantuan assumption), you should send your app wherever you might potentially want to go. You'll have a great shot at any school in the country.

4. Mister Pie

Mister Pie Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Wow, your (projected) stats would be almost exactly identical to mine when I applied. It's really hard to gauge how competitive you are without knowing which college you attended (in my experience, it does matter a little) and the depth of your ECs.

In terms of schools you might want to add, I would definitely put Pitt on your list (I interviewed there). The top of the top (JHU, Harvard) are probably a bit out of your reach unless you have an extremely compelling life story/PS. If you'd like more info, PM me and I'll send you a link to my MD Apps which will show you which schools I applied to and interviewed at. Keep in mind though that your experience will likely be EXTREMELY different since ECs really do matter quite a lot.

Anyways, a 3.6 GPA is by no means ideal, but it will generally get you past the screening process at pretty much all schools, assuming you really do get a 37 on the MCAT.

5. jmrthekid

jmrthekid jmrthekid
    2+ Year Member

of course if you get a 37 you can apply wherever, but be careful. i was averaging 37 on my mcat and managed to get a 30. a lot of kids i knew did the same.

6. elliotb_11

Pre-Medical
    No joke, i was averaging 30s and got a 37

7. Ace-Co-A

Ace-Co-A As & Is
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Posted 6 years ago.