3.65 gpa, 33 mcat - Schools List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hope4DBest

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

3.65 gpa, 33mcat (10 BS, 9 Verbal, 14 PS). I am a clinical research coordinator in the field of rheumatology (2 years). I have done aqueous geochemistry research for 2 years in college (thesis research).

- volunteered and shadowed at hospitals (St.Lukes in Manhattan and Jamaica in Queens, NY)
- newsletter chief editor/website manager of a temple's website
- Youth Coordinator of Temple
- play 3 classical indian instruments (at shows, fundraisers, weddings and weekly services at temple)
- TA in college (Bio lab and general chem)
- worked for a GYN. for two summers
- Citizen correspondent writer for the National Resource Defense Council (blogging)
- Unite for Sight Columbia University Chapter - vice pres for one year
- City Citation award from Mayor Bloomberg (NY), Woman of Distinction Award from Senator's office, Dean's List and Science and Public Policy Award

Here is my list of schools (please give me feedback on my chances):
1) George Washington –DC
2) Brown – RI
3) Georgetown - DC
4) Temple - PA
5) Drexel PA
6) Jefferson PA
7) Albany Medical College -NY
8) Dartmouth - NH
9) Stony Brook - NY
10) Albert Einstein - NY
11) Mount Sinai - NY
12) Cornell - NY
13) Downstate -NY
14) University of Rochester - NY
15) SUNY Buffalo (md/mph) - NY
16) NYU – NY

Thanks so much. I appreciate your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Those without a bolded comment are in your target zone. With a 3.65/33:
Here is my list of schools (please give me feedback on my chances): 1) George Washington –DC Safety
2) Brown – RI More of a reach
3) Georgetown - DC
4) Temple - PA Safety
5) Drexel PA Safety
6) Jefferson PA
7) Albany Medical College -NY
8) Dartmouth - NH More of a reach
9) Stony Brook - NY
10) Albert Einstein - NY A bit of a reach
11) Mount Sinai - NY A big reach
12) Cornell - NY A big reach
13) Downstate -NY
14) University of Rochester - NY A bit of a reach
15) SUNY Buffalo (md/mph) - NY Safety
16) NYU – NY More of a reach
Overall chance of an MD acceptance looks to be about 64% extrapolating from old AAMC data.

Thanks for the response. I am a little confused about the schools that are not bolded (Stony, Jefferson, etc). Why are they not bolded?

I may be an author on a paper and I am taking biochem in the Fall. Would an increase in my gpa make me more competitive for Sinai and Cornell?

In addition, I work at Hospital for Special Surgery which is affiliated with Cornell (my PI is an associate prof at Cornell). I will be getting great LORs.

Lastly, my committee letter will explain the decline in my gpa for 2 semesters (the death of my best friend/first true love). Does this help?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
1) I am a little confused about the schools that are not bolded (Stony, Jefferson, etc). Why are they not bolded?

2) I may be an author on a paper and I am taking biochem in the Fall. Would an increase in my gpa make me more competitive for Sinai and Cornell?

3) In addition, I work at Hospital for Special Surgery which is affiliated with Cornell (my PI is an associate prof at Cornell). I will be getting great LORs.

4) Lastly, my committee letter will explain the decline in my gpa for 2 semesters (the death of my best friend/first true love). Does this help?
1) The schools that have no bolded comment are those predicted to be most likely to offer you an interview, though the safeties ought to also.

2) Yes. Or a higher MCAT score.

3) An LOR from someone known to the adcomm can be helpful for that institution, above and beyond it being a supportive letter.

4) Yes, as would a Secondary essay relevant to the issue.

do you have anything against SUNY upstate?

I think Catalystik's 64% is short-changing you a bit...with solid ECs and NY state residency you shouldn't have much trouble getting in with those stats if you apply early and write good essays

No, nothing against SUNY Upstate. I just don't know much about it. I will explore it further.

No, nothing against SUNY Upstate. I just don't know much about it. I will explore it further.

just apply and explore if you get an interview, IMO it's silly not to apply to all 4 SUNYs if you are a NYS resident. also you only have to write essays if they invite you for an interview (which is an interesting way of doing things) and the interview is closed file (the interviewer doesn't get to read your application beforehand...unless he/she is on the adcom...they only get to read the essays you wrote before the interview)

Reactions: 1 user
I think Catalystik's 64% is short-changing you a bit...with solid ECs and NY state residency you shouldn't have much trouble getting in with those stats if you apply early and write good essays
My number comes from national statistics based on application numbers alone for the outcomes of all AMCAS applicants. I'd agree that excellent ECs should modify the chance of success upward, but we aren't provided with a lot of details about them (except for research and awards).

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you skinMD. I did not know that about the SUNYs. I know that the 3.65 and 33 are about average. I am hoping to raise the gpa and that my ECs will attract some attention from some of the reach schools.

My number comes from national statistics based on application numbers alone for the outcomes of all AMCAS applicants. I'd agree that excellent ECs should modify the chance of success upward, but we aren't provided with a lot of details about them (except for research and awards).

I was implying that state residency was also a pretty big modifying factor since you have a whole bunch of applicants mixed in there that live in states where those numbers are less competitive at their state schools.

Thank you skinMD. I did not know that about the SUNYs. I know that the 3.65 and 33 are about average. I am hoping to raise the gpa and that my ECs will attract some attention from some of the reach schools.

your 33 is only "average" at Stony Brook and is above average at the other three. I'm using last year's MSAR though so feel free to correct me if that's no longer the case (or feel free to share the current MCAT medians of the SUNYs since I'm interested).

I meant that I know my numbers are average for most med schools (not just for the state schools). Ideally, I would like to have a shot at Cornell, NYU, Sinai and Einstein.

Do you guys think I should add/drop any schools?

Thanks so much, Catalystik!

I have heard that Sinai is really big on community service. I am hoping that the City Citation I received for community service will make up for my gpa/mcat. I know that's still living in a fantasy world.

I will just hope for the best. Thanks again for the help.

I am hoping that the City Citation I received for community service will make up for my gpa/mcat. I know that's still living in a fantasy world.

I will just hope for the best.
Rather than just listing the Citation among your other Awards and Honors (as many would do), you might consider listing it in its own space under Community Service, detailing all you did to earn it with estimate of hours (within the character limiatations), and using the organization that gave the award as your contact. I might pay off to really highlight this component of your application.