3.65 GPA, old 35 MCAT (8/2013)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pimeson

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
23 y/o Asian Male currently living in Missouri
Top 40 University
3.65 GPA, 3.6sGPA
Graduated Cum Laude in Biochemistry 2013
Took the MCAT 8/2013 and scored a 35 (11P/12V/12B)

3 years undergraduate research
2 years doing research at a Biotech Startup
TA'd for two semesters undergrad (Bio/Orgo)
150 hours Clinical volunteering (should be over 300 by next cycle)
20 hours volunteering tutoring for inner city kids
40 hours shadowing doctors

I'm worried primarily about my MCAT score expiring, I went through MSAR and found schools that would still accept my MCAT for the 2017 cycle. I'm currently still working at the biotech startup and it would be hard to study for the new exam while working, would it be worth retaking? It seems to really cut down on where I can apply. If it's somewhat likely I'll be accepted somewhere, I would like to avoid it.

I'm currently planning on applying to (divided by perceived difficulty of acceptance):
1. Case Western
2. Emory

3. Albert Einstein
4. University of Rochester
5. SLU
6. Boston University
7. Tufts

8. Hofstra
9. UT-Galveston
10.Loyola
11. Tufts
12. Boca Raton
13. Commonwealth
14. Wake Forest
15. Albany Medical College

16. Missouri- Columbia
17. Missouri- Kansas City
18. Chicago Medical School

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If all those schools accept the 2013 mcat for 2017 cycle your list is fine. You have a very reasonable shot at your state schools particularly Columbia which interviews over half of MO apps. You'll be competitive for a bunch of the other schools you listed as well. No need to retake imo.

Members don't see this ad :)
Of your schools, I think that you'll have the best luck at the following. There is no U Boca Raton med school. Were you referring to U Miami?

1. Case Western
2. Emory
3. Albert Einstein
4. University of Rochester
5. SLU
6. Boston University
7. Tufts
8. Hofstra
10.Loyola
11. Tufts
14. Wake Forest
15. Albany Medical College
16. Missouri- Columbia
17. Missouri- Kansas City
18. Chicago Medical School

Thanks![/QUOTE]

If you want to apply to UT-Galveston you might as well do the entire TMDSAS, which is the separate application you would have to do to apply to the Texas state medical schools. Only A&M, UT-Southwestern, and the Texas Tech schools have supplementary (easy) applications. The rest are included in the single $150 dollar fee.

Not all that relevant issue isn't if schools will accept the old mcat rather will they accept an mcat that's 4 years old for that cycle

Yeah the best place to go for is the MSAR, but that AAMC list is important in itself (expiration dates won't matter for schools that only accept the new MCAT).