This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD95

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm currently on the waitlist at my top school of choice (also happens to be the only place I interviewed at), but am also preparing for the 2018 cycle in case I don't get pulled off the waitlist. I sent out my application rather late last cycle (secondaries sent out in October/November/December, and to about 12 schools only), and I applied with:

Ethnicity: White
sGPA: 3.5
cGPA: 3.5
MCAT: 504 (127/124/126/127)
ECs: I'd say my ECs are well above average, with medical and non-medical volunteering and paid positions, a couple research positions, among other things. I have been involved in most of my ECs for many years and have accumulated many hours.
____

New stats:

sGPA/cGPA: I completed my final year of undergrad and was able to bring my sGPA and cGPA both to a 3.65 (I have a 3.93 in my last three years of undergrad, and a sub-3.0 GPA in my first year).
ECs: I plan on taking another research position and continuing with all my other volunteer positions that I previously applied with and accrue more hours
School: I am also going to begin a 1yr Masters program which should finish before 2018 Med starts.
LORs: I am going to get stronger LORs this cycle compared to last as well

I'm a Canadian applicant with many ties to Michigan, and am wondering WAMC? Again, I applied extremely late last cycle, and this time around I plan to apply on day 1 and pre-write my secondaries. I would also like to mention that I am only interested in MD.

Also, what are your thoughts regarding my new school list for this cycle - Any I should add?:

CMU
U Arizona
OUWB
MSU
WVU
Wayne State
Loma Linda
Penn State
LSU
Geisinger Commonwealth (TCMC?)
MCW
Utah SOM
IndianaU
Rosalind Franklin
VCU
Tulane
Rutgers RWJ
Drexel
SUNY Upstate
SKMC/Jeff

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
LSU, Rutgers, Indiana, Utah, SUNY Upstate, West Virginia are state public schools that accept very few non residents with your MCAT score and even fewer (if any) international students. The Michigan schools and Loma Linda are probably where your best chances are. You could add Central Michigan.

The MSAR indicates that only one international matriculated at Rutgers RWJ (and there was a single international bac MD). Utah interviewed only 5 of 202 internationals and matriculated none.

You need to look at the acceptance data tab in the MSAR as you formulate your list.
Right now there are very few schools that match your stats and consider anything other than internal candidates.

Loma Linda is a mission-based school. Do you fit the mission?

You're fine for the ~14 DO schools that take internationals, expecially MSUCOM and UNECOM.

You're DOA for MD.

Hey guys,

I'm currently on the waitlist at my top school of choice (also happens to be the only place I interviewed at), but am also preparing for the 2018 cycle in case I don't get pulled off the waitlist. I sent out my application rather late last cycle (secondaries sent out in October/November/December, and to about 12 schools only), and I applied with:

Ethnicity: White/Middle Eastern
sGPA: 3.5
cGPA: 3.5
MCAT: 504 (127/124/126/127)
ECs: I'd say my ECs are well above average, with medical and non-medical volunteering and paid positions, a couple research positions, among other things. I have been involved in most of my ECs for many years and have accumulated many hours.
____

New stats:

sGPA/cGPA: I completed my final year of undergrad and was able to bring my sGPA and cGPA both to a 3.65 (I have a 3.93 in my last three years of undergrad, and a sub-3.0 GPA in my first year).
ECs: I plan on taking another research position and continuing with all my other volunteer positions that I previously applied with and accrue more hours
School: I am also going to begin a 1yr Masters program which should finish before 2018 Med starts.
LORs: I am going to get stronger LORs this cycle compared to last as well

I'm a Canadian applicant with many ties to Michigan, and am wondering WAMC? Again, I applied extremely late last cycle, and this time around I plan to apply on day 1 and pre-write my secondaries. I would also like to mention that I am only interested in MD.

Also, what are your thoughts regarding my new school list for this cycle - Any I should add?:

CMU
U Arizona
OUWB
MSU
WVU
Wayne State
Loma Linda
Penn State
LSU
Geisinger Commonwealth (TCMC?)
MCW
Utah SOM