3.66 cGPA, 3.37 sGPA, 517 MCAT, NY resident non-trad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grumpyarmadillo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please help me with my school list! I would really like to stay in New York but I realize with my GPA I may not be the strongest candidate for these schools. In my defense, my undergrad major was engineering at a top-tier school. I graduated in 2013 and worked in consulting for 2 years before deciding to switch to the medical track.
Any feedback you can offer would be much appreciated.

MCAT: 128/130/128/131
Clinical experience: Research assistant at prestigious NY hospital for the past year = hundreds of shadowing hours and research exposure, though no publications

New York
Mt. Sinai
NYU
Weill Cornell
Columbia
Albert Einstein
SUNY Downstate
New York Medical College
Stony Brook

OOS in the Northeast
UMASS
Boston University
Georgetown
George Washington
Temple

Midwest
Pritzker (UChicago)
Feinberg (Northwestern)
University of Illinois
Creighton
Stritch (Loyola)
Washington Univ St. Louis
St Louis University

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Washington U, Pritzker, Columbia and Cornell are reaches and UMass accepts few non residents.
Thank you, that's helpful to know. I have some connections at Columbia and Cornell and wonder if that will help me at all? I'll drop Pritzker and UMass and consider dropping WashU.

To this, add Emory, U Miami, Tulane, Dartmouth and Keck. Delete U ILL.
Thank you very much, Goro. Emory, U Miami, and Tulane are locations I don't really want to go to. Dartmouth I did think about so maybe I will add that. I am curious why you suggested adding Keck? Deleting U Illinois makes sense since I am not a resident...

Thank you, that's helpful to know. I have some connections at Columbia and Cornell and wonder if that will help me at all? I'll drop Pritzker and UMass and consider dropping WashU.
If you'll always wonder "what if" and you have the money to spend then keep Columbia and Cornell, particularly if one of your LORs comes from a member of the faculty there. Good luck!

If you'll always wonder "what if" and you have the money to spend then keep Columbia and Cornell, particularly if one of your LORs comes from a member of the faculty there. Good luck!

Thanks, anonymoose -- I may need the luck but I think I'll hang onto them :)

Reactions: 1 user
I have been working on this all day and updated my list. Could I get some feedback on whether my thinking is correct on these?

Reach
Columbia
Weill Cornell
Feinberg/Northwestern
Pittsburgh
NYU
Icahn/Mt. Sinai

Fit
Albert Einstein
SUNY Downstate
Boston University
Tufts
Georgetown
Sidney Kimmel/Thomas Jefferson
Temple
Creighton
Stritch/Loyola
Dartmouth

Safer fit
New York Medical College
Ohio State
Saint Louis
NYIT-COM
Touro COM Harlem
Rowan COM

Thank you very much, Goro. Emory, U Miami, and Tulane are locations I don't really want to go to. Dartmouth I did think about so maybe I will add that. I am curious why you suggested adding Keck? Deleting U Illinois makes sense since I am not a resident...
You look like their target applicant, High MCAT on one try, engineering background... If you speak Spanish and have a strong service record you are are good to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
You look like their target applicant, High MCAT on one try, engineering background... If you speak Spanish and have have a strong service record you are are good to go.
Thanks, gyngyn, that's good to know.

Your numbers are competitive for Keck