MD & DO 3.66 cGPA, 3.4sGPA, 28 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThePenguin21

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm a white male applying in the upcoming cycle. I was born in Colorado, but live and work in Maryland currently. I plan on being in-state for Colorado. If you haven't, make sure you verify that you are in-state somewhere! I had to amend tax returns to qualify for CO in-state.

MCAT: 8/11/9 (28) This was rough news. I averaged ~31 on AAMCs. I vowed never to take it again no matter what, but I'm contemplating a retake now.

College: Georgetown University
Major: Philosophy
cGPA: 3.66
sGPA: 3.4

LORs
1. Orgo professor (average)
2. Biology professor (average)
3. Philosophy professor (above average)
4. Current boss, an MD (excellent)
5. DO that I shadowed (above average)

Research
-1 publication about primary care and the physical exam (selected for publication at undergraduate journals at Johns Hopkins, Georgetown, National University in Singapore)
-Summer research at pain clinic collecting and analyzing data for spinal and epidural anesthesia (pending publication)

ECs
-work ~40 hours/week at a dermatology clinic as a medical assistant and clinical trials coordinator (scribing charts, assisting in surgeries, drawing blood) and have been here for 1 year. I see about 20 patients/day and manage their chart.
-created a blog about healthcare issues/policy (passionate about healthcare policy)
-ran weekly Mass in college for 2 years
-led an alternative spring break trip to El Salvador (interviewed and selected other students) and raised $10,000 to finance the trip
-painted houses over 1 college summer ~60 hours/week (the worst job ever, do NOT paint houses if you can avoid it)
~250 hours medical volunteering at hospital and mental hospital in DC
~120 hours non-medical volunteering (English teacher in Peru for 1 summer and earned an award)
~100 hours shadowing family practice, anesthesiology, general surgery

Schools
MD

Colorado
Creighton (strong ties - dad did MD here and runs a 4th year rotation for med students)
Georgetown
Loyola
St. Louis
VCU
Maryland
Temple
Drexel
Rosalind Franklin
Tufts

DO
Midwestern-Chicago
Midwestern-AZ
Philadelphia COM
Campbell COM

*I'm not too acquainted with the DO scene, but thought these places worked well*

I'd love and appreciate any advice about retaking the MCAT and my school list/chances. Goro and gyngyn included. If I decide to retake, I'd probably pick a date in late July/early August. Will this impact my app? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone. I'm a white male applying in the upcoming cycle. I was born in Colorado, but live and work in Maryland currently. I plan on being in-state for Colorado. If you haven't, make sure you verify that you are in-state somewhere! I had to amend tax returns to qualify for CO in-state.

MCAT: 8/11/9 (28) This was rough news. I averaged ~31 on AAMCs. I vowed never to take it again no matter what, but I'm contemplating a retake now.

College: Georgetown University
Major: Philosophy
cGPA: 3.66
sGPA: 3.4

LORs
1. Orgo professor (average)
2. Biology professor (average)
3. Philosophy professor (above average)
4. Current boss, an MD (excellent)
5. DO that I shadowed (above average)

Research
-1 publication about primary care and the physical exam (selected for publication at undergraduate journals at Johns Hopkins, Georgetown, National University in Singapore)
-Summer research at pain clinic collecting and analyzing data for spinal and epidural anesthesia (pending publication)

ECs
-work ~40 hours/week at a dermatology clinic as a medical assistant and clinical trials coordinator (scribing charts, assisting in surgeries, drawing blood) and have been here for 1 year. I see about 20 patients/day and manage their chart.
-created a blog about healthcare issues/policy (passionate about healthcare policy)
-ran weekly Mass in college for 2 years
-led an alternative spring break trip to El Salvador (interviewed and selected other students) and raised $10,000 to finance the trip
-painted houses over 1 college summer ~60 hours/week (the worst job ever, do NOT paint houses if you can avoid it)
~250 hours medical volunteering at hospital and mental hospital in DC
~120 hours non-medical volunteering (English teacher in Peru for 1 summer and earned an award)
~100 hours shadowing family practice, anesthesiology, general surgery

Schools
MD

Colorado
Creighton (strong ties - dad did MD here and runs a 4th year rotation for med students)
Georgetown
Loyola
St. Louis
VCU
Maryland
Temple
Drexel
Rosalind Franklin
Tufts

DO
Midwestern-Chicago
Midwestern-AZ
Philadelphia COM
Campbell COM

*I'm not too acquainted with the DO scene, but thought these places worked well*

I'd love and appreciate any advice about retaking the MCAT and my school list/chances. Goro and gyngyn included. If I decide to retake, I'd probably pick a date in late July/early August. Will this impact my app? Thanks!

In addition to what you have DO-wise I'd add, DMU, ATSU-KCOM, and KCUMB ( @Goro hasn't been giving the latter much love so maybe there's something I don't know). I liked it interviewing there and any doc I've worked with from there as been excellent.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have pretty much the exact same STATs as you, do you think it's worth it to apply to Colorado with those STATs? I'm trying to decide myself. Anyone hear of someone ever getting into CO with these STATs? I'm in state for CO and still questioning whether it will be worth it for me. I have really really really good ECs though, research experience, great LORs etc... still not sure if that'll be enough.